Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

I've not used SSHD before but it just looks like a cheaper version of SSD?

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/solutions/solid-state-hybrid/

This review from PC World (:sick:) recommends which drive is suitable based on what your use is.

I don't know what NMR processing and chemical modelling is but if it continuously generates new data then that review suggests that you won't see the performance of SSD if you use SSHD

Those links sound quite promising - chemical modelling is probably best compared to animation and nmr processing is data transformation - not constant data creation but interpretation of data already collected, so they shouldn't be too much of a problem on the sshd I'm guessing?

Edited by DB11

Not really a problem more of a query. I'm supposed to get up to 38mbps on my broadband. Last night I tested the speed while using a free VPN and I was getting 29mbsp then I switched the VPN off and I was only getting 12 mbps. How is that possible? I thought VPNs slowed you down.

• 3 weeks later...

I've not had any emails through outlook express for 2 days. I've checked on talktalk's own mail service and there are emails being posted to me. Is there anyway I can give it a bit of a shake up and make them come through again?

I've not had any emails through outlook express for 2 days. I've checked on talktalk's own mail service and there are emails being posted to me. Is there anyway I can give it a bit of a shake up and make them come through again?

If you go on Send/Receive button does it work successfully or does it give you an error?

It may be a dodgy email is stuck in the outbox trying to send and until it sends Outlook won't download any new emails so you may have to delete it and then ask it to Send/Receive all folders again.

I had to run malware bytes.It seems to be sorted now.

I need to reset the restrictions passcode on my ipad (I never set one, but the ipad seems to disagree) - how do I do that? I've looked for tools, but ibackupbot can't locate the file it's contained in so I can edit it, and apples support recommends erasing the data and restoring to factory settings, which won't work because I need the passcode to do that...

I need to reset the restrictions passcode on my ipad (I never set one, but the ipad seems to disagree) - how do I do that? I've looked for tools, but ibackupbot can't locate the file it's contained in so I can edit it, and apples support recommends erasing the data and restoring to factory settings, which won't work because I need the passcode to do that...

I'm not in a position to check Google to confirm or get specific settings but I recall something where if the phone is plugged into the computer with the cable then you reset it by holding the home button and the button on top that it can bypass it and let you restore?

That is how I think people who steal iPhones get round the passcode.

I'm not in a position to check Google to confirm or get specific settings but I recall something where if the phone is plugged into the computer with the cable then you reset it by holding the home button and the button on top that it can bypass it and let you restore?

That is how I think people who steal iPhones get round the passcode.

That didn't work, but I've got it by opening up the system files on ibackupbot, finding the file it's saved in (com.apple.restrictions.plist), then using the salt and encrypted key to find the code.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know what this is or what it is a part of and if it would be ok to uninstall from my laptop?

shockwave flash keeps crashing particularly when im using this website.

ive checked control panel/uninstall programs but cant find it and that is as far as my technological wizardry will take me.

I'm guessing it is something to do with shockwave player so i thought to uninstall that but cant find that either.

anyone know what this is or what it is a part of and if it would be ok to uninstall from my laptop?

ive checked control panel/uninstall programs but cant find it and that is as far as my technological wizardry will take me.

I'm guessing it is something to do with shockwave player so i thought to uninstall that but cant find that either.

That happens to me quite often too.

Is this a recent thing then, its been working fine before?

Its a fairly essential part of messing around on the internet really, runs YouTube videos and interfaces on news sites ect. use. So if you want that stuff you need it.

Should be stored on your computer as 'Adobe Flash', try uninstalling that and re-installing it after a reboot or download the installer again and there should be an option to 'repair' . Dont know if its a 32bit/64bit program, that might be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it easy to set up an American vpn server on my android box so I can watch the nbc add-on?

Any info on how to do it would be much appreciated

Edited by stix

i just completed a fresh install of windows, completely resetting my  pc. just in case anyone here didnt know how much of a scam those "pc heath" things are, heres what one reported after scanning my empty hard drive.

post-11205-0-00695400-1431454496_thumb.j

Edited by Beliall

i just completed a fresh install of windows, completely resetting my  pc. just in case anyone here didnt know how much of a scam those "pc heath" things are, heres what one reported after scanning my empty hard drive.

hehe brilliant.. you need to talk to some of those guys that call from microsoft and can help fix all your nonexistent problems :)

• 2 weeks later...

not a computer per say, but im hoping you could help me with this please,we bought our eldest son this budget phone (Nokia Lumia 530) for his birthday, its not getting any service, google isnt being much help so while i keep looking i thought id ask here. ive done the usual, turned it off and on, removed and replaced the sim card, manually searched for networks, (it found vodaphone as it should) but still doesnt work. all the rest of us are on 3 so i havent got a different sim to test the phone with, or vice versa, any idea chaps? cheers

Edited by Beliall

• 3 weeks later...

Recently my laptop has stopped connecting to the wifi - it still can see the router and detect the connections but any attempt to connect to it ends up failing unless I'm in the same room: it only seems to happen occasionally - happened last Wednesday/Thursday but worked fine Friday morning, and on the train Friday, as well as at my other halfs house over the weekend; also worked here Monday/Tuesday but dropped out yesterday lunchtime and is doing so again this morning. 

I've checked my drivers and they're up-to-date, I can connect fine if I'm in the same room as the router (not a practical long term solution) or if I wire myself to the router (also not a practical long term solution), but once I connect in the room and start to back out it stays for a while then drops. Any ideas as to why it wouldn't connect?