Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Forget all that it seems to have vanished now.

I uninstalled Firefox then downloaded it again and it seems fine. I think it may have been the problem red5 suggested afterall.

Thanks!

Is there anyway to check this has definetly gone and my systems not at risk? Or would the advice be to simply make sure my system is protected with security? (Which really goes without saying, I should have protected it anyway, but i've not got round to it yet)

You can't protect against them as they're not a virus, it's up to you to watch what you install, they do try and sneak them in though.

this.

installing regular programs, like java, or ventrilo, go to advanced install setting everytime, make sure you dont intall things like "ask toolbar" etc. thats where they're hidden

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a 2nd hand laptop, running win 7.

All good but for two issues.

1) when i turn the volume up (using the icon i the taskbar) i can put it on max and it still only hits around 30% loudness

2) the internal mic dosnt work, but, when i put my blue tooth headphones on... the internal mic works?

appreciate any ideas

I just picked up a 2nd hand laptop, running win 7.

All good but for two issues.

1) when i turn the volume up (using the icon i the taskbar) i can put it on max and it still only hits around 30% loudness

2) the internal mic dosnt work, but, when i put my blue tooth headphones on... the internal mic works?

appreciate any ideas

Go to the sound settings (bottom right picture of a grey speaker) and adjust the sliders in there.

How do you know the internal mic is/isn't working? Maybe putting headphones on is activating it making it think I'm likely to be used now - otherwise it could be on all the time listening to anything. Is there a switch to manually turn it on, and headphones are automatically doing it?

Go to the sound settings (bottom right picture of a grey speaker) and adjust the sliders in there.

How do you know the internal mic is/isn't working? Maybe putting headphones on is activating it making it think I'm likely to be used now - otherwise it could be on all the time listening to anything. Is there a switch to manually turn it on, and headphones are automatically doing it?

Cheers Mate,

Ive adjusted.

I know it isnt working because ive tested it through the test and also on Skype

I tried deleting and resetting the driver, but all to no avail.

Ive not seen or found any kind of switch... just very unusual.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so since Saturday, my laptop has been making a clicking noise I think it's coming from the fan area. Is it a fan problem or hard disk drive problem ? I tried doing a system restore but, I can still a clicking noise. The noise was happening frequently over the weekend and it seemed to stop last night but, it's been coming back since this afternoon.

Does anyone know how I can fix the issue ? Thanks

Edited by LeicesterBran

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey folks, i have been lucky enough to drop "buynsave" extension on to my lappy. (it forces pages to open and puts ads on pages)

ive tried the usual... malware bytes, binning in extension, hitman pro, but the little bastard keeps reappearing AAAARRGHHHHHHHHHH.

any ideas very welcomed... ta :)

Edited by ozleicester

Any idea what could cause this to happen? 

rTEYMMx.png

It's happened a couple of times, the first time I had to restarted my computer, the second time it fixed itself after 30 seconds or so.

The picture isn't an actual screenshot, I just edited it to show you, when I took a screenshot during the actual problem it just looked like a regular screen when I pasted it into Paint. When it happened there were some horizontal lines across the screen as well, like an analogue TV that needs tuning.

Cheers but no,

Ive tried them and it still appears when i restart. I assume it must be tucked inside a program, but looking at my running programs i cant see anything that i dont recognise.

Have you tried a system restore?

If that doesn't work the only thing I can think of is backing up all your important files and resetting windows to wipe everything.

Edit: I should clarify that I am in no way an expert. This is not professional advice just what I'd personally do because it's the easiest solution.

Edited by Carl the Llama

Any idea what could cause this to happen? 

It's happened a couple of times, the first time I had to restarted my computer, the second time it fixed itself after 30 seconds or so.

The picture isn't an actual screenshot, I just edited it to show you, when I took a screenshot during the actual problem it just looked like a regular screen when I pasted it into Paint. When it happened there were some horizontal lines across the screen as well, like an analogue TV that needs tuning.

Is the graphics card up to date? Does it do it even when you test with another screen?

The fact a screenshot shows up correctly would suggest the OS is fine and it is something to do with the screen, cabling or graphics card. Is it over heating or running too high?

I've not seen it before but using Google it seems common-ish and is called split screen problem.

The graphics card is up to date yeah. It makes more sense to be a hardware problem, particularly with the horizontal distortion. The laptop gets warm during use in the keyboard section like most but not overly so. It's probably just a shitty laptop.

I did Google but half the results seemed to be people struggling with using 2 screens as an extended monitor, and the other half seemed to be people assuming that was what they were asking about.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest CityFan 06

(THIS HAS BEEN SOLVED) Can anyone help me with my problem. I have a Windows vista laptop, and it says I have a connection to my Home Hub (Internet Connection) but whenever I try to search on google, it says I'm offline? Is there a particular mode I need to change or anything?

Any help is very much appreciated,

Thanks.

Edited by @LeicesterFox1884

SpiltsomewateronmykeyboardonSndayandnowItypelikethis

Space, enter and a few letters broke too. Dont know if this will dry or I'll have to get a new one

Nope you'll need a new keyboard.

Laptop keyboards are designed to soak up the water and die to protect the main board itself from being damaged as replacement keyboards are much cheaper than replacement boards :)

Think of it like the crumple zone in a car ( excessive damage can obviously break the whole thing)

Edited by DB11

Nope you'll need a new keyboard.

Laptop keyboards are designed to soak up the water and die to protect the main board itself from being damaged as replacement keyboards are much cheaper than replacement boards :)

Think of it like the crumple zone in a car ( excessive damage can obviously break the whole thing)

Cheers mate, but this has hit my desktop :sweating:

• 2 weeks later...

Puter boots up all perfectly without an issue, will run a programme fine. For instance vlc and I can watch a film no drama. Other than when I try and exit the programme the computer has frozen. Can't run anything else or alt ctl delete or anything. The mouse pointer works but clicking icons doesn't will not load programmes. Any ideas lads?

Cheers