Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RizLCFC

Matty Fryatt

I think a LOT of people still grossly underestimate the step up from championship to premier league. In reality I think some of our first team players who looked great last season will be made to look distinctly average in the prem. I also think anybody who thinks Leicester are going to walk a top half finish next year are nuts, even looking beyond relegation is a dangerous step. The thought of signing Fryatt for any conceivable reason is ridiculous. GTF likewise will be made to look like a donkey next year. The only damage either of them will do in the prem is to the pitch.

IMO we should be setting sights MUCH MUCH higher than the likes of Fryatt if there is any chance of staying up next year. The gap between Championship and Prem really is huge. Prem is a different ball game. How often do we see teams come up from the championship full of beans only to look pathetic for the whole season and get relegated again? This is largly to do with lack of money and second rate signings. Fryatt is a second rate signing. And we have plenty of money - make use of it in terms of quality and not quantity and there is a chance we will stay up. Buy a load of donkeys for no apparent reason and city are screwed.

City looked great the majority of the time last year - until we came up against Stoke and Man City.

'Distinctly average' is what you need to stay up. Crystal Palace managed a mid table finish with mostly the same squad that nearly fooked it up last season. I'm hoping we can stay up next year, and with some good additions could do well.

'Distinctly average' is what you need to stay up. Crystal Palace managed a mid table finish with mostly the same squad that nearly fooked it up last season. I'm hoping we can stay up next year, and with some good additions could do well.

I'd like to stay optimistic. But when you read about things like Fryatt coming back, it makes it difficult. We are a club with money and that counts for a lot. Just don't see the point in taking a backward step. of course money doesnt guarantee staying up, but money with the right signings would go a long way.

Prem is a different ball game.

Not sure I agree with that.

GTF will be a below average Prem player. Half the players in the Prem are 'below average'. I don't think anybody is pretending that he is a world-beater. I'm presuming we are going to make a big signing up front. (Ulloa/Campbell etc), maybe even two. So who does that leave us with:

1. New signing (ulloa)

2. Vardy

3. New signing (Campbell)

4. Nugent

5. Wood

6. GTF

So with GTF, we're talking about our fifth (or maybe even sixth) choice attacker in a side who look like they will play one up front for most games.

My argument is just that as a sixth choice attacker he's OK. What do you want from a sixth choice player?

Indeed.

Neither are good enough to be pushing the current starting two.

IMO

No one has said GTF should start.

But he is a good squad player to bring on with 20 minutes to go.

I agree with other posts though, when it comes to signing a new striker we don't need someone for back up. We need to sign someone who we expect to start most games and possibly get double figures.

Unfortunately for me Fryatt isn't that striker.

Not sure I agree with that.

GTF will be a below average Prem player. Half the players in the Prem are 'below average'. I don't think anybody is pretending that he is a world-beater. I'm presuming we are going to make a big signing up front. (Ulloa/Campbell etc), maybe even two. So who does that leave us with:

1. New signing (ulloa)

2. Vardy

3. New signing (Campbell)

4. Nugent

5. Wood

6. GTF

So with GTF, we're talking about our fifth (or maybe even sixth) choice attacker in a side who look like they will play one up front for most games.

My argument is just that as a sixth choice attacker he's OK. What do you want from a sixth choice player?

Fair enough for GTF - I doubt he will even get a place on the bench.

But as for Fryatt - its not 6th choice strikers like him we need. It's first choice. Then whoever loses out on their spot becomes a decent squad player.

Fryatt's problem is that he isn't a particular type of striker; not big enough to be a target man but too slow to lead the line and he isn't particularly good in the ball. He's a decent finisher but doesn't offer much more.

Fryatt's problem is that he isn't a particular type of striker; not big enough to be a target man but too slow to lead the line and he isn't particularly good in the ball. He's a decent finisher but doesn't offer much more.

Van Nistelrooy, Inzaghi, Crespo.

Obviously not comparing him to them but he's a poacher like them. Like I said, wouldn't be the worst thing if he's Nugents replacement but I would like to aim a bit higher.

Van Nistelrooy, Inzaghi, Crespo.

Obviously not comparing him to them but he's a poacher like them. Like I said, wouldn't be the worst thing if he's Nugents replacement but I would like to aim a bit higher.

Yeah I feel a bit daft now but I don't think our play style could accommodate a poacher, that's why Van Wolfswinkel struggled at Naarch because a side languishing towards the bottom of the table aren't going to create loads of chances so strikers have to be able to contribute to other phases of play.

Yeah I feel a bit daft now but I don't think our play style could accommodate a poacher, that's why Van Wolfswinkel struggled at Naarch because a side languishing towards the bottom of the table aren't going to create loads of chances so strikers have to be able to contribute to other phases of play.

True I guess. We always had Cottee + Dickov alongside a bigger guy which we currently don't have.

I know Nigel likes him, but I don't really think this will be a great signing. Will get behind him if we sign him but can't help but think he won't improve what we already have and he is a Championship player, a decent one, but just too slow/flat footed to be properly effective in the Prem. Could see him popping up with 2-4 goals off the bench and would only make sense to me if Nugent doesn't sign. If he does we have Vardy, Wood, GTF, Nugent and I'd much rather have someone like Campbell than Matty, though like a lot on here I wouldn't be averse to us spending a few quid on someone more established. Saying all that, I do trust Nige and if he thinks he can do a job then fair enough.

Guest ttfn

GTF got 5 in 22 for Blackpool in the Premier League.

Fryatt got 2 in 10 for Hull last season.

There's not a lot to choose between them.

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all.

Hull struggled to create chances or score goals for the most part, with Long and Jelavic getting just 8 in what equates to one full season between them.

By contrast Blackpool created so many chances that even DJ Campbell scored 13 goals. Whilst no doubt GTF would have been responsible for creating a lot of those chances, I don't think that comparison does Fryatt any favours at all, particularly when his goal ratio is about 3 times worse than DJ Campbell who he was demonstrably better than when with us.

Archived