Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

Hodgson Out?

What kind of a comparison is that? Hodgson has about a dozen more games to his name.

Anything to detract from the Suárez incident, eh? lol

No, this thread is about Roy Hodgson being sacked as England manager.. I've wanted him sacked as soon as we were out of the World Cup, having a lower win percentage than the manager everyone hates just adds fuel to my dislike of the man. 

No, this thread is about Roy Hodgson being sacked as England manager.. I've wanted him sacked as soon as we were out of the World Cup, having a lower win percentage than the manager everyone hates just adds fuel to my dislike of the man. 

Like I said before, great comparison between an England manager with less than 20 games and Hodgson, who has more than 30.

You'd do just anything to detract from the Suarez incident, eh?

Talking about clinging onto straws, Lofty.

Like I said before, great comparison between an England manager with less than 20 games and Hodgson, who has more than 30.

You'd do just anything to detract from the Suarez incident, eh?

Talking about clinging onto straws, Lofty.

Are you completely stupid, this thread is about England fans discussing whether Roy Hodgson is good enough to be England manager, so how on earth am I detracting anything from the Luis Suarez biting someone in this thread? Is this a thread to discuss Luis Suarez? Yes or no?

Steve McClaren managed England 18 times and Roy Hodgson 31 times, their win percentages are 50% and 48%, they're both shit and neither should of been England managers. Roy Hodgson is a poor manager. 

In them 13 extra games  England have 5 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses. Anyone able work that win % out for me?

Still not great is it? Not won a game in 5. 

Lost back to back games at Wembley. 

But we have somehow progressed?

In them 13 extra games England have 5 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses. Anyone able work that win % out for me?

Still not great is it? Not won a game in 5.

Lost back to back games at Wembley.

But we have somehow progressed?

I completely agree. Fook me, if this is 'progression' give me decline.

On a side-note, don't try to rationalise with MC. You will get nowhere.

:thumbup:

Are you completely stupid, this thread is about England fans discussing whether Roy Hodgson is good enough to be England manager, so how on earth am I detracting anything from the Luis Suarez biting someone in this thread? Is this a thread to discuss Luis Suarez? Yes or no?

Steve McClaren managed England 18 times and Roy Hodgson 31 times, their win percentages are 50% and 48%, they're both shit and neither should of been England managers. Roy Hodgson is a poor manager. 

If you wanted to do a fair comparison, then you'd have to take McClaren's 18 games as an England manager and put them right next to Hodgson's first 18 games as a manager.

Hodgson comes up on par, with a winning percentage of 50%.

Yeah, Hodgson is a poor manager compared to McClaren, especially since the latter fudged up qualification for Euro 2008.

Guest MattP

People just have to accept our players aren't that good.

They might look brilliant playing next to Suarez, Oscar, Ozil, Mata, Hazard, Van Persie, Toure, Silva, Aguero etc but when you pull that lot out and put them next to each other they are at about the standard of a team who will pick up 1-3 points in a group like that.

If Liverpool seriously pay 28million odd for Lallana as well? WTF....also why does it take our strikers 7/8 chances to score a goal as well when you watch every other country and it seems to be 2/3?

Tough times ahead, some very average young players on the way with a couple of exceptions (Barkley and Sterling are the only two I think are really exciting) and if we seriously are going to have a defence with Jones and Smalling in for the next ten years then every left sided forward in the World will be licking his lips.

Farewell 'golden generation' once and for all and good riddance, never once past a Quarter Final in a era where Greek won a major tournament and South Korea and Turkey made World Cup semis...

If you wanted to do a fair comparison, then you'd have to take McClaren's 18 games as an England manager and put them right next to Hodgson's first 18 games as a manager.

Yeah, Hodgson is a poor manager compared to McClaren, especially since the latter fudged up qualification for Euro 2008.

Yet you would argue that our qualification campaign in 2008 was a lot more difficult than World Cup 2014 qualification, well we can argue that as it is our country to discuss, oh wait didn't Roy manage Switzerland? 51% with you lot. #winning

You don't have to be a master statistician to know we've gone backwards. Or at least, not improved

Here's a tip.. watch the games..

People just have to accept our players aren't that good.

They might look brilliant playing next to Suarez, Oscar, Ozil, Mata, Hazard, Van Persie, Toure, Silva, Aguero etc but when you pull that lot out and put them next to each other they are at about the standard of a team who will pick up 1-3 points in a group like that.

If Liverpool seriously pay 28million odd for Lallana as well? WTF....also why does it take our strikers 7/8 chances to score a goal as well when you watch every other country and it seems to be 2/3?

Tough times ahead, some very average young players on the way with a couple of exceptions (Barkley and Sterling are the only two I think are really exciting) and if we seriously are going to have a defence with Jones and Smalling in for the next ten years then every left sided forward in the World will be licking his lips.

Farewell 'golden generation' once and for all and good riddance, never once past a Quarter Final in a era where Greek won a major tournament and South Korea and Turkey made World Cup semis...

IF that is the case, then yes, as a football nation we have gone backwards.

I still believe we have decent players and that Hodgson actually made many errors both before and during the campaign.

Guest MattP

IF that is the case, then yes, as a football nation we have gone backwards.

I still believe we have decent players and that Hodgson actually made many errors both before and during the campaign.

He's definitely made errors. No doubt about that. One point from that group is a pathetic effort.

I think we have gone miles backwards as a football nation, as I've said before we have starters now who wouldn't have got in squads twenty years back, that shower he put out yesterday is supposed to be the cream de la cream of young English talent and they couldn't beat a Costa Rica team just swanning around at 50% making sure they didn't get booked. To be fair to Roy there is nothing he can do if Daniel Sturridge decides to fluff 4-5 great chances. Difference is I suppose if he does that for Liverpool Suarez has already bagged a couple, he gets a late one anyway, it's 3-0 v Fulham and no one remembers...

Should he go though? That depends who is avaliable. Sadly, the job isn't a big pull anymore and I can't think of anyone better who would probably take it. Sad times.

He's definitely made errors. No doubt about that. One point from that group is a pathetic effort.

I think we have gone miles backwards as a football nation, as I've said before we have starters now who wouldn't have got in squads twenty years back, that shower he put out yesterday is supposed to be the cream de la cream of young English talent and they couldn't beat a Costa Rica team just swanning around at 50% making sure they didn't get booked. To be fair to Roy there is nothing he can do if Daniel Sturridge decides to fluff 4-5 great chances. Difference is I suppose if he does that for Liverpool Suarez has already bagged a couple, he gets a late one anyway, it's 3-0 v Fulham and no one remembers...

Should he go though? That depends who is avaliable. Sadly, the job isn't a big pull anymore and I can't think of anyone better who would probably take it. Sad times.

Possibly the best post of yours I've read in some time.

Superb..

Curtis Davies really should have been ahead of Jones & Smalling

Do we really think Davies would have made the blindest bit of difference? The fact any one of them are thought about for the team shows why we are struggling.

Not having Walcott, Townsend and Ox was a pretty blow as we lost most of our pacy attacking options.

Don't know what I'd do with Roy, the lack of alternatives to him and to some of the players is frightening.

This is where for me you give Gary Neville the job, tell him it his for the next 10 years and go and restructure English football. Not Gareth Southgate or Stuart Pearce. Give it someone young who has played at the highest club level, as well as International level and also someone who was managed and coached by the best manager and backroom staff this country has seen in a long time. 

Maybe like Robbie Savage said last night, have someone above Gary Neville to oversee everything, that person just doesn't oversee the Senior side, they oversee every England side right down to the schoolboys. If that man is Glen Hoddle then so be it. 

We need to move forward with times now and Roy Hodgson is preventing that. 

Guest MattP

This is where for me you give Gary Neville the job, tell him it his for the next 10 years and go and restructure English football. Not Gareth Southgate or Stuart Pearce. Give it someone young who has played at the highest club level, as well as International level and also someone who was managed and coached by the best manager and backroom staff this country has seen in a long time. 

Maybe like Robbie Savage said last night, have someone above Gary Neville to oversee everything, that person just doesn't oversee the Senior side, they oversee every England side right down to the schoolboys. If that man is Glen Hoddle then so be it. 

We need to move forward with times now and Roy Hodgson is preventing that. 

Where does this Neville love in come from? I'm still not sure Neville has what it takes, would certainly like to see him do a club job. He is still part of this team that produced this effort, if we start afresh I think we have to go the whole way and remove everything currently involved.

The vast majority of the guys who played under Fergie for years have been pretty poor as managers. Often the most successful managers have played under lots of different ones during their career, probably assemble the best bits of all to then try and forge their own style, if you have only seen one way it could be a hinderance,

Not saying Nev would be a failure, but I don't see any reason as to why he would be a success either.

One thing we all know though, this is a massive job for someone, and I'm very doubtful we have the right man to do it. The fact the FA whacked Danny Mills, Rio Ferdinand and Howard Wilkinson on a commitee to oversee the national game says it all about who is running the show.

Where does this Neville love in come from? I'm still not sure Neville has what it takes, would certainly like to see him do a club job. He is still part of this team that produced this effort, if we start afresh I think we have to go the whole way and remove everything currently involved.

The vast majority of the guys who played under Fergie for years have been pretty poor as managers. Often the most successful managers have played under lots of different ones during their career, probably assemble the best bits of all to then try and forge their own style, if you have only seen one way it could be a hinderance,

Not saying Nev would be a failure, but I don't see any reason as to why he would be a success either.

One thing we all know though, this is a massive job for someone, and I'm very doubtful we have the right man to do it. The fact the FA whacked Danny Mills, Rio Ferdinand and Howard Wilkinson on a commitee to oversee the national game says it all about who is running the show.

There is nobody else I would give it to, no club manager out there who is English who is good enough to be England manager, so why not just go with a young manager and let him restructure our football. He clearly has a brain and more than likely a vision. 

You're going on a different Ferguson generation though, Ferguson did eventually move with the times, when he brought Carlos Queiroz in, then Steele, Phelan and Maulensteen. I think Gary Neville has been around long enough and seen enough to understand modern day football and more importantly to develop our best crop of youngsters in a very long time. 

Germany weren't afraid of chucking Jurgen Klinsmann straight into managing their national side, he was a success for them. 

Guest MattP

There is nobody else I would give it to, no club manager out there who is English who is good enough to be England manager, so why not just go with a young manager and let him restructure our football. He clearly has a brain and more than likely a vision. 

You're going on a different Ferguson generation though, Ferguson did eventually move with the times, when he brought Carlos Queiroz in, then Steele, Phelan and Maulensteen. I think Gary Neville has been around long enough and seen enough to understand modern day football and more importantly to develop our best crop of youngsters in a very long time. 

Germany weren't afraid of chucking Jurgen Klinsmann straight into managing their national side, he was a success for them. 

Klinsmann did a great job, though he is clearly also a top class manager given what he has achieved since.

It smacks of real desperation this, the only reason we might believe Neville is good enough is because like every other England manager he hasn't actually had the chance to fail yet. He could be another Souness, Gullit etc who can sit and talk a great game on TV but couldn't manage to save his life.

We might be at the stage where we do need to just take a shot in the dark though, the appointments we think about don't seem to be any better.

Klinsmann did a great job, though he is clearly also a top class manager given what he has achieved since.

It smacks of real desperation this, the only reason we might believe Neville is good enough is because like every other England manager he hasn't actually had the chance to fail yet. He could be another Souness, Gullit etc who can sit and talk a great game on TV but couldn't manage to save his life.

We might be at the stage where we do need to just take a shot in the dark though, the appointments we think about don't seem to be any better.

Klinsmann could so easily have been a Gullit or Souness as well, you just don't know unless you try. 

Would you right now prefer to have Hodgson carry on doing nothing (basically) or let Gary Neville takeover? Serious question, no right or wrong answer, just want opinions.

Guest MattP

Klinsmann could so easily have been a Gullit or Souness as well, you just don't know unless you try. 

Would you right now prefer to have Hodgson carry on doing nothing (basically) or let Gary Neville takeover? Serious question, no right or wrong answer, just want opinions.

Probably leave it with Hodgson with Neville as his assistant, give them the Euros with the new crop, then if that's an absolute disaster and no other English manager is knocking on the door at the time probably hand the reigns to someone else ie Nev for the World Cup.

I'd be happy with Glenn Hoddle taking over though at any point, he's English with a great tactical brain, a rarity.

He only lost his job in the first place as we are a country obsessed with political correctness and being offended on the behalf of others.

You don't have to be a master statistician to know we've gone backwards. Or at least, not improved

Here's a tip.. watch the games..

I've watched them and the issues stem from two directions:

a) A shaky defense

b) A lack of leadership on the pitch

Whether this is solely Hodgson's wrongdoing or a much deeper-rooted issue with English football and English football education in general, that conclusion I'll leave up to you to reach.

Personally, I find it rather simplistic to direct all the vitriol towards the manager - he is only one of many puzzle pieces.

I think the attacking options there are plenty and the talent is there for everybody to see, with youngsters coming through the ranks and finding their space and role within the national squad, such as Lallana, Shaw, Sterling or Barkley.

Qualification for Euro 2016 will give you a better picture of where things are heading.

Roy Hodgson: "This is a young squad. Even Gary Cahill is only 24." He is 28. 

And Prussian you're right, Hodgson is only one piece of this crazy puzzle that in my eyes doesn't seem to be fitting together properly. The defending from England in this tournament was poor, but the attacking wasn't that great either. 

Look how many of us are saying how many chances were wasted, don't get me wrong if we had topped our group, then went on to beat Greece I would be saying Hodgson had done a good job. What I can't accept is people now saying that we have made progress since 2012, how have we? That's not a question for you to answer Prussian. We've not won a game of football in 5 games. 

Hodgson set up his team where his best players weren't playing in systems where they would benefit, I ranted a few pages back about Baines and Johnson being overlapping fullbacks that were restricted from doing that, Gerrard and Henderson have played in a three all season which meant Gerrard was freed and Henderson did his natural game of pressing and winning the ball, Sterling was playing the best football of his short career behind the front two, plays that role for a game and then is moved to the wing, Rooney is a striker, a striker who scores goals, yet in three games he never played there, well if you don't think he is good enough to be the lone striker then simply don't play him and there was so much more wrong in how we set up to play and the players that were or weren't used. 

I can accept failure, I have only ever seen England's best reach quarter finals in major tournaments but what I can't accept is failure when it is pretty clear to see where you are failing and the person in charge, scared or inept of making the changes to make it better.  

Mourinho wants the job. Just need to suffer the hodge for another two years. Yesterday I wanted hodge sacked but the problem is if we sack him now we'll go and give someone else a four year deal and therefore miss the mourinho boat. I'm happy to suck up the hodge for two solid years if it means we eventually get to bang jose.

Archived