Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

MLS

The next logical step would be finally getting away from the term "soccer" and fully embrace "football".

I do appreciate a change in conscience - it's no longer mainly a "girls' sport" over there and more and more taken seriously.

I wish for the league to grow even more and can't wait for the new clubs (New York and Orlando) to make an impact soon.

There was a comment made during the game last night when the right winger came on, they said the whole team is the same type of player. It got me thinking, could all the different styles of coaching between english clubs be causing trouble for us there? Players being taught different ways to play.

With USA still being relatively new to football are their coaches pulling in the same direction in MLS?

The next logical step would be finally getting away from the term "soccer" and fully embrace "football".

I do appreciate a change in conscience - it's no longer mainly a "girls' sport" over there and more and more taken seriously.

I wish for the league to grow even more and can't wait for the new clubs (New York and Orlando) to make an impact soon.

what about Miami Beckham ? :ph34r:

They will inevitably get better. For the time being I like watching them, I like to see a plucky underdog doing well, but the day will come where they're better than us (probably already are in terms of international team, they've gone further than us for two WCs in a row) and I'll hate them for it.

Edited by Bryn

I read somewhere, not sure how true it is but they were saying that the power houses that run the 3 big USA sports have a massive influence on the media and are a major obstacle to 'soccer' getting the necessary airtime/publicity and that is why it failed the last time they set up leagues.

The rate of improvement of quality in MLS is directly proportional to the $$. Right now they're keeping the purse strings tight (salary cap,

"Beckham Rule", etc) to ensure league survival. I can live with that, knowing it will be a feeder league for the time being. But what's not seen by many abroad is that the MLS clubs are now investing heavily in youth academies to capture potential talent at a much younger age (the US College system is crap).

There will be a brief bump in MLS attendance after the cup and then probably back to the status quo. The casual fan will go back to NFL in a few weeks (once camps open). However, thanks to NBC, we get every BPL match on TV now. Every MLS match is televised (though most are regional), and we're seeing more and more 'soccer bars' pop up that will open early on weekends to show the matches.

Lots to be hopeful for, but still a long ways to go. I'm 50 years old and had to wait till I was 26 to even see the USA in a world cup. This is now 7 consecutive cups we've been in and 4th trip to the knockouts. I really can't complain given what it was like before...

No relegation is a big problem and hinderance for development as well. Aren't all the MLS clubs franchises run by big businesses? Pretty sure they have a lot of control over the running of the League and it'll be hard to grow with the current system in place.

No relegation is a big problem and hinderance for development as well. Aren't all the MLS clubs franchises run by big businesses? Pretty sure they have a lot of control over the running of the League and it'll be hard to grow with the current system in place.

It seems to be doing alright.

It seems to be doing alright.

It's definitely doing alright. I said it'll be hard to grow. I may be wrong though. Americans are different, they seem to be fine with the lack of promotion/relegation drama. They'll make up a load of new stats and satisfy themselves that way.

They definitely have the athletes for it, it's just a question of how many will turn towards football rather than AF/Basketball/Baseball/Hockey. We don't know what the coaching or structure is like either, the sport is not studied by a large amount of people (I imagine) so there are possibly quite a small number with the required coaching ability and tactical understanding.

Like we saw last night they are a very hard working team, showed a lot spirit and drive toward the end but they lacked a bit technically and they struggled to create in the final third (bar the bombardment of the box).

The extent to which many here see the lack of promotion/relegation as a problem, is that it makes losing inconsequential (other than the manager likely getting sacked). And yes, all MLS clubs are franchises, and the league 'owns' all player contracts (again, a cost-control measure). We do have 'lower division' developmental leagues, but there is no pyramid structure like most of the rest of the world. The other 'Americanization' that many don't like is the playoff system at the end of the season. A trophy is given for winning the league (i.e. most points), but then the top 10 sides are seeded into a knockout tournament for 'MLS Cup' and that winner is considered the season champion.

Was discussing with friends over the weekend about the US national side and the fact the US population seem to have finally got into our beloved sport, this tournament they have played good football, they're fit and Klinsmann has them organised and very hard to beat. We seem to have adopted them along with Colombia as our teams to win the tournament.

Anyway, one of my mates suggested that the USA will be one of the best sides in the world within the next 20 years, to begin with we all laughed! Then he carried on, talking about the rise in the MLS league, the amount of players going over there (money obviously related) and the interest in 'soccer' now in the US. More and more kids are playing Soccer, more and more people are going to watch Soccer. Will the US invest more in Soccer? Coaches? We see more sides are adding to the MLS league every few years.

If they really to football, and they can invest in youth and football becomes a major sport in America then I can see it happening too.

God knows if any of you will agree, but there is a case for it.

I wouldn't say they've finally got into it. They hosted the tournament in '94 and put up a very creditable showing, losing narrowly to the eventual winners Brazil.

Having attended that game and several others around the country, I was surprised how into it the American fans were. I met a few who traveled long distances during the NASL days and who seemed very knowledgeable about football generally. Bear in mind this was 20 years ago

Somebody mentioned "flopping". The Aussies hate it too. When you see the sort of hits taken in NRL, AFL and NFL then you see "soccer" players rolling around for five minutes after the slightest knock it's hard not to agree with them

I wouldn't say they've finally got into it. They hosted the tournament in '94 and put up a very creditable showing, losing narrowly to the eventual winners Brazil.

Having attended that game and several others around the country, I was surprised how into it the American fans were. I met a few who traveled long distances during the NASL days and who seemed very knowledgeable about football generally. Bear in mind this was 20 years ago

Somebody mentioned "flopping". The Aussies hate it too. When you see the sort of hits taken in NRL, AFL and NFL then you see "soccer" players rolling around for five minutes after the slightest knock it's hard not to agree with them

It's hilarious because some of the Basketball 'flopping' (I refuse to use that word) videos on Youtube are just as bad, if not worse than football.

It's hilarious because some of the Basketball 'flopping' (I refuse to use that word) videos on Youtube are just as bad, if not worse than football.

I see what you mean. Especially funny when they're 6'8" and built like a brick shithouse

The amount of people interested in football in America in the last four years is a huge difference, you forget in 2010 USA topped their group and still there wasn't as much interest, this World Cup with them in a group they weren't meant to get out of their fans have been a lot more involved.

I predict big things for America in football over the next 10 years, maybe not a World Cup win in them 10 years but I expect them to be one of the biggest footballing nations in the world.

Guest MattP

I still think they will be a long way off.

A lot of their better players coming towards retirement age and I've no doubt as soon as October comes and the World Series starts and the NFL kicks off no one will be concerned about the 'soccer'.

Not to mention they'll probably lose Klinsmann as well.

Was discussing with friends over the weekend about the US national side and the fact the US population seem to have finally got into our beloved sport, this tournament they have played good football, they're fit and Klinsmann has them organised and very hard to beat. We seem to have adopted them along with Colombia as our teams to win the tournament.

Anyway, one of my mates suggested that the USA will be one of the best sides in the world within the next 20 years, to begin with we all laughed! Then he carried on, talking about the rise in the MLS league, the amount of players going over there (money obviously related) and the interest in 'soccer' now in the US. More and more kids are playing Soccer, more and more people are going to watch Soccer. Will the US invest more in Soccer? Coaches? We see more sides are adding to the MLS league every few years.

If they really to football, and they can invest in youth and football becomes a major sport in America then I can see it happening too.

God knows if any of you will agree, but there is a case for it.

I thought this myself last night and had a chat about it with my son. Why on earth can't the USA become a major force in world football? It all depends whether they WANT to be. If they do, they have the money to be able to excel in whatever sport they choose. They have just gotten further than we have in this world cup, for goodness sake, let alone in twenty years time. If they make soccer a priority, you bet your bottom dollar they will just improve and improve.

I'd absolutely love England to have a manager available like Klinsmann. Not actually Klinsmann himself as that's just asking for trouble but someone who has the bollocks to make big decisions for the sake of the team, someone to install a belief and to produce a team with a heart, someone who actually has a long-term plan.

USA have grown on me a lot in this tournament and I know I'm not the only one. Though as much as I love to joke about it, it is NEVER going to be soccer ;)

The amount of people interested in football in America in the last four years is a huge difference, you forget in 2010 USA topped their group and still there wasn't as much interest, this World Cup with them in a group they weren't meant to get out of their fans have been a lot more involved.

I predict big things for America in football over the next 10 years, maybe not a World Cup win in them 10 years but I expect them to be one of the biggest footballing nations in the world.

You seriously think that will happen in the next ten years? There's one thing progressing, but these are an absolute mile behind most of Europe in terms of interest. I think even in ten years time they won't be in the top ten.