Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

'No-go areas in Leicester for niqab wearers', claims book.

If somone said to me they couldn't shake my head that would probably be my last dealing with them.

She really won't be suited to any tolerant western liberal lifestyle with attitudes like that even if the dhimmis in the class think it's justified.

It's also laughable to claim she is 'strong and independent' whilst she has to do that. Would she want to be saved on a operating table if it was a someone not her husband who had to perform the operation?

She isn't suited to a tolerant lifestyle, says the man who would refuse to do business with someone who won't shake his hand.

What if they didn't have any hands Matt? What if they just didn't have any hands?

As anyone considered that women who cover their faces and bodies may be thinking, 'Western women are taken advantage of by men by wearing mini-skirts and revealing their breasts to all.'

There was a cartoon I saw a while back which showed two women one wearing a veil the other next to nothing leaving little to imagination with thought bubbles with the same thought.

I may not agree with the veil but I will defend their right to choose.

Eskimo nose rub?

Well Matt seems to be the only one that would object if he was in that room. All the others respected her for telling us and accepted it then got on with the course. If they had any prejudices they were not apparent. It was a custom she followed much like Catholics who are drink wine in church or Jews having the snip. I may not agree with it but it is not me going through it so live and let live.

British society is very polite so I'm not surprised nobody objected outright while in the room. However I bet if you'd have looked closely you might have seen a subtle raised eyebrow or two. It's certainly a strange way to kick off an office skills course. One would assume that how to alienate yourself, however mildly, by refusing to take part in a simple cultural tradition isn't the first thing you'd want to learn and as a tax payer I have to question whether she's really the right person for the job.

Guest MattP

She isn't suited to a tolerant lifestyle, says the man who would refuse to do business with someone who won't shake his hand.

What if they didn't have any hands Matt? What if they just didn't have any hands?

Is that a serious question? If it is you confirm it is I'll answer.

You're slipping mate.

Guest MattP

British society is very polite so I'm not surprised nobody objected outright while in the room. However I bet if you'd have looked closely you might have seen a subtle raised eyebrow or two. It's certainly a strange way to kick off an office skills course. One would assume that how to alienate yourself, however mildly, by refusing to take part in a simple cultural tradition isn't the first thing you'd want to learn and as a tax payer I have to question whether she's really the right person for the job.

Let's be honest it's a basic skills course. We are talking about people who can barely spell their own name let alone object to a cultural offence.

I'd imagine those there were only in attendance to keep the free money rolling in anyway.

Let's be honest it's a basic skills course. We are talking about people who can barely spell their own name let alone object to a cultural offence.

I'd imagine those there were only in attendance to keep the free money rolling in anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if her refusal to shake hands was more to do with the standard of the clientele than on cultural grounds to be honest. If that is the case I do sympathise because I'd at least want to be wearing gloves and a face mask in a room full of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if her refusal to shake hands was more to do with the standard of the clientele than on cultural grounds to be honest. If that is the case I do sympathise because I'd at least want to be wearing gloves and a face mask in a room full of them.

:)

:)

Guest MattP

I agree. I dread to think the sort who attend such classes.

In retrospect I may have misjudged the lady, sounds very normal and shrewd and I certainly didn't consider her circumstances.

Is that a serious question? If it is you confirm it is I'll answer.

You're slipping mate.

What am I slipping?

It's ridiculous question to make a serious point. You say you won't do business with someone who won't shake your hand but what you appear to mean is a Muslim woman who won't shake your hand.

Obviously if you were doing business with someone who couldn't shake your hand you would still do business with them. Which means it is not the lack of handshake that is the problem.

So what if it was a germophobe who didn't like shaking hands for health reasons?

You also didn't respond to the person asking about other cultures, if you were doing business in a foreign country would you respect their customs?

Finally a word on tolerance, tolerance is not about going to another country and changing your beliefs to fit in, it means accepting other people's beliefs and fitting in with them. Your response comes off as a lot less tolerant than that of the Muslim woman.

Tolerance is respecting a person's right to have beliefs that you may not agree with, that you may not like, but as long as they are not causing any harm to anyone, allowing them to follow them not forcing them to conform to your belief system.

Guest MattP

What am I slipping?

It's ridiculous question to make a serious point. You say you won't do business with someone who won't shake your hand but what you appear to mean is a Muslim woman who won't shake your hand.

Obviously if you were doing business with someone who couldn't shake your hand you would still do business with them. Which means it is not the lack of handshake that is the problem.

So what if it was a germophobe who didn't like shaking hands for health reasons?

You also didn't respond to the person asking about other cultures, if you were doing business in a foreign country would you respect their customs?

Finally a word on tolerance, tolerance is not about going to another country and changing your beliefs to fit in, it means accepting other people's beliefs and fitting in with them. Your response comes off as a lot less tolerant than that of the Muslim woman.

Tolerance is respecting a person's right to have beliefs that you may not agree with, that you may not like, but as long as they are not causing any harm to anyone, allowing them to follow them not forcing them to conform to your belief system.

Sorry I missed this. If I was in a business situation and someone didn't shake my hand I would find it absurd. If it was a gemophobe I would ask them to come to the toilet whilst we both wash our hands and then shake and wash again.

If I was in another's country of course I would abide by their customs and laws, I can't believe you even have to ask that, exactly the reason I also expect people to fully abide by ours when they are here as well, I have no idea how I have come across as less tolerant than the person mentioned, could you expand on that?

Having said that using a bit of common sense I don't really think this was anything to do with religion.

30 odd people in them, many were women who had taken time off work to raise a family and were aiming to return to the job market saw no reason tp complain and respect the reason given. Showing respect for other cultures nd having a tolerance is now one of the attributes employers are now looking for and if the situation arose at a job interview and you looked down on the interviewee because of their custom it is doubtful that you would be successful in obtaining the position that you applied for.

Many of the people on the cours had worked before but things change in 20 years plus so they were seeking training to enable them to either becoming self-employed or ways to impress employees in the tough process of the job market.

Is it not a good thing that people enroll on courses to improve their chances of finding work rather than just drawing dole money fortnightly? You cannot condem them for doing that.

Guest MattP

30 odd people in them, many were women who had taken time off work to raise a family and were aiming to return to the job market saw no reason tp complain and respect the reason given. Showing respect for other cultures nd having a tolerance is now one of the attributes employers are now looking for and if the situation arose at a job interview and you looked down on the interviewee because of their custom it is doubtful that you would be successful in obtaining the position that you applied for.

Many of the people on the cours had worked before but things change in 20 years plus so they were seeking training to enable them to either becoming self-employed or ways to impress employees in the tough process of the job market.

Is it not a good thing that people enroll on courses to improve their chances of finding work rather than just drawing dole money fortnightly? You cannot condem them for doing that.

You don't know that at all, for all you know 29 complaints could have been made. When a person makes a complaint they generally don't broadcast it to the rest of the class. I didn't realise you were still hunting around the market to know what attributes employees were looking for in this day and age, here's me thinking you had retired.

It's tremendous people enroll on courses to enhance their job prospects, it's a great shame a lot of those who have access to something millions of others would love sometimes choose to waste it by sitting in the pub all Tuesday afternoon instead.

I could only judge by observing and interacting with the rest of the participants on the course.They were from various cultures and backgrounds and from my experience of meeting them none came over as xenophobic. I saw it as insignificant and treated her as an equal human being. If anyone on the course could not handle it then it was not for them.

Guest MattP

I could only judge by observing and interacting with the rest of the participants on the course.They were from various cultures and backgrounds and from my experience of meeting them none came over as xenophobic. I saw it as insignificant and treated her as an equal human being. If anyone on the course could not handle it then it was not for them.

Absolutely, if the majority can't adjust for the ridiculous beliefs of the tiniest minority. Fcuk them.

Archived