Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

'No-go areas in Leicester for niqab wearers', claims book.

I thought you lived in Knighton?

(Without a private pension)

No thats a little further up London Road. People that don't want to be associated with Highfields say Knighton. I'm less conscious about it than I used to be but some people still look down their nose at you if you write down S Highfields as an address. I tend to leave that part off so as not to attract that kind of reaction. Just peoples perception again.

It's never really been the multicultural paradise portrayed. It's divided along east and west really in terms of race.

This study is a bit pointless mind, people don't like the niqab shock horror, no people generally don't take kindly to those who want to completely shun society.

There are no go areas for everyone mind, you wouldn't walk through Highfields at night as a white person.

I believe people should be allowed to wear whatever they want but nothing is ever going to cause more suspicion and division than the niqab.

I'm white and have lived in Highfields most of my life, never had a spot of bother.

'Islamophobia is a word that is used far too often. How many white women are afraid to walk in muslim areas for fear of being insulted or abused? What shall we call this kind of harassment? Sexism, Racism. Perhaps a new word, Whitism or Whiteophobia. Maybe the powers that be will then recognise that this is becoming a big problem in this country. Are Dr Irene Zempi and Neil Chakraborti muslim? The only way this study could be credible is if they had asked the same amount of white women how they felt and their experiences in muslim areas.'

Great comment under the article.

'Islamophobia is a word that is used far too often. How many white women are afraid to walk in muslim areas for fear of being insulted or abused? What shall we call this kind of harassment? Sexism, Racism. Perhaps a new word, Whitism or Whiteophobia. Maybe the powers that be will then recognise that this is becoming a big problem in this country. Are Dr Irene Zempi and Neil Chakraborti muslim? The only way this study could be credible is if they had asked the same amount of white women how they felt and their experiences in muslim areas.'

Great comment under the article.

I'm a white women and have never been harassed in highfields........that's what i'm expecting to hear from this site!!

The solution: TAKE THE ****ING THING OFF

I bet you say that to all the girls!!

Guest MattP

I'm white and have lived in Highfields most of my life, never had a spot of bother.

Well I wear a hijab around Beaumont Leys on weekends and have never received any abuse.

I bet they don't get abuse in Oadby, Evington, Birstall, LFE, Thurmaston, Knighton, Thorpe Astley...

How many niqab wearing muslim women live on the Braunstone, NPE, Saffron Lane or actually have any reason to go there?

Just an attempt to bump racism up the agenda. It can't be a valid survey as there is no comparative benchmark.

Paranoia is the basis for a lot of racism or prejudice

I am doing a training course on Tuesdays and we were discussing appearances and how others see you. One lad was saying that he used B & Q a lot and there was a salesman in there with tattoos and earings and he avoided going to him for stuff. One day no one else was available and had to ask him and he said he was the most helpful of the lot and polite/

My point? Do not judge a book by its cover.It is natural to be wary of others if they look a lot different. and understanding should be shown from both sides to avoid conflict.

I don't understand why people are worried about what other people wear.

As a conservative I'm more interested in personal freedom and responsibility than telling people what they can or can't wear or do.

This research was obviously aimed at causing division in Leicester. We all know there are areas where people outside the majority demographic for those areas are going to feel uncomfortable and maybe subject to abuse. That's just obvious. It happens everywhere.

Paranoia is the basis for a lot of racism or prejudice

I am doing a training course on Tuesdays and we were discussing appearances and how others see you. One lad was saying that he used B & Q a lot and there was a salesman in there with tattoos and earings and he avoided going to him for stuff. One day no one else was available and had to ask him and he said he was the most helpful of the lot and polite/

My point? Do not judge a book by its cover.It is natural to be wary of others if they look a lot different. and understanding should be shown from both sides to avoid conflict.

Agree to an extent. But surely those wearing face veils isolate themselves and make themselves unapproachable to others.

My only issue with the veil is it's connotations of male control over women. If Muslim women really want to wear them though, it doesn't bother me. It's really not part of western culture though at all so you're obviously going to stick out.

I'm sure there are no go areas in leicester for normal white women where they would feel highly unconfortable for wearing a dress with their shoulders showing and they would get far more dirty looks or comments in a area like Belgrave then a Asian wearing a hijab in the areas they stated such bullsh*t

I'm sure there are no go areas in leicester for normal white women where they would feel highly unconfortable for wearing a dress with their shoulders showing and they would get far more dirty looks or comments in a area like Belgrade then a Asian wearing a hijab in the areas they stated such bullsh*t

I'm not sure what Serbia has to do with anything here.

My only issue with the veil is it's connotations of male control over women. If Muslim women really want to wear them though, it doesn't bother me. It's really not part of western culture though at all so you're obviously going to stick out.

Its not part of 21st century Western culture. I am sure 100 years ago it was quite common for women to wear head scarves. Admittedly not to cover the face but it was accepted. I think part of the reason is modesty. They do not want to flash their bits at everone and be gorked at by lusty men. Often it is their choice as they want their body to be seen by their husband only.

I have no problem when seeing them worn. I am not affected by them.

I've found that a large number of asian women wearing the full body veils are the fat old wrinkly ones who'd you prefer to see covered anyway. It's like putting a £100 padlock on a rusty old bike you nicked from a canal.

How do you know this ?

Have you 'unwrapped' a few ?

#player

Archived