Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

'No-go areas in Leicester for niqab wearers', claims book.

After two years of research, the author of a new book claims that there are areas of Leicester where niqab wearers face abuse and intimidation. Is this a sign of the times, a symptom of antipathy to muslims? Or is Leicester not the happy, multicultural city that it is portrayed as?

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/areas-Leicester-Muslim-women-wearing-niqab/story-21342283-detail/story.html

I think more than anything people feel threatened or intimidated by the niqab. Anything that covers the face, e.g. A bloke walking around with a motorbike helmet or a chav with a cap and ski mask/bandana covering his face is just as threatening. I'm not trying to cover up any discrimination they face but I do find it a bit unnerving when someone is walking around in public concealing their face, by niqab or other means.

I think more than anything people feel threatened or intimidated by the niqab. Anything that covers the face, e.g. A bloke walking around with a motorbike helmet or a chav with a cap and ski mask/bandana covering his face is just as threatening. I'm not trying to cover up any discrimination they face but I do find it a bit unnerving when someone is walking around in public concealing their face, by niqab or other means.

Really?

What a pair of shit cvnts for writing this book. You could have found people of any race, age, gender or religion who would have said negative things about being in those areas but oh no, you had to play the islamophobia card because that shit sells yo. This is exactly the kind of bullshit that holds society back. I hope nobody buys this dirty little book and the university of Leicester should be considering the authors positions.

I don’t understand why everyone says Leicester is safe. It’s much easier to do niqab in Birmingham.”
I'll pay for your bus fare love.....

What a pair of shit cvnts for writing this book. You could have found people of any race, age, gender or religion who would have said negative things about being in those areas but oh no, you had to play the islamophobia card because that shit sells yo. This is exactly the kind of bullshit that holds society back. I hope nobody buys this dirty little book and the university of Leicester should be considering the authors positions.

WTF?

I agree with something Moose said. Apart from the bit about them getting fired for expressing a provocative opinion, of course.

If I'm walking through any one of those areas in my T-shirt and jeans I'm going to be scared of getting shanked and robbed. I really don't think what you're wearing has any bearing on those places being fvkcing nasty.

Does it? You buying?

Guest MattP

After two years of research, the author of a new book claims that there are areas of Leicester where niqab wearers face abuse and intimidation. Is this a sign of the times, a symptom of antipathy to muslims? Or is Leicester not the happy, multicultural city that it is portrayed as?

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/areas-Leicester-Muslim-women-wearing-niqab/story-21342283-detail/story.html

It's never really been the multicultural paradise portrayed. It's divided along east and west really in terms of race.

This study is a bit pointless mind, people don't like the niqab shock horror, no people generally don't take kindly to those who want to completely shun society.

There are no go areas for everyone mind, you wouldn't walk through Highfields at night as a white person.

I believe people should be allowed to wear whatever they want but nothing is ever going to cause more suspicion and division than the niqab.

I am sure the entire book was not on this subject. One passage has been picked out it seems.

And I live in South Highfields and I often walk home in the dark. Some of the residents are decent people and safer to be around than maybe those on the Saff or Braunstone. Highfields is a very diverse area and mixed community.

I am actually featured in a book about South Highfields.

Well dressed wealthy white person*

There's a lot of truth in that. I've nearly always felt safe wherever I've walked, whether in Leicester, London or cities abroad - mainly because I'm a scruffy fvcker and wear untrendy clothes. So nobody thinks I'm either in a gang or have any money or valuables (generally, two very accurate assumptions!), so they don't bother me.

That'll teach you to stroll around all dapper like Beau Brummel, looking like you're minted, Matt!

Move downmarket to be safe on the streets! lol

I am sure the entire book was not on this subject. One passage has been picked out it seems.

And I live in South Highfields and I often walk home in the dark. Some of the residents are decent people and safer to be around than maybe those on the Saff or Braunstone. Highfields is a very diverse area and mixed community.

Well, given the name of the book is "Islamophobia, Victimisation and the Veil", I think it's pretty safe to assume what they were trying to achieve in the completely one sided survey and 'research' they undertook.

Things like this are what really get my goat. As others have said, those places aren't always the nicest places for ANYONE, not just muslim women. There are plenty of areas where if you walk through as a white person, particularly girls/women. you get shouted at by people of other races. Some of the filth that has been hurled at white women I know is absolutely sickening and they genuinely fear that they may be attacked too. Perhaps a book should be written on that subject? Though I doubt it would make it to the printing press!

Guest MattP

There's a lot of truth in that. I've nearly always felt safe wherever I've walked, whether in Leicester, London or cities abroad - mainly because I'm a scruffy fvcker and wear untrendy clothes. So nobody thinks I'm either in a gang or have any money or valuables (generally, two very accurate assumptions!), so they don't bother me.

That'll teach you to stroll around all dapper like Beau Brummel, looking like you're minted, Matt!

Move downmarket to be safe on the streets! lol

lol it's not a bad shout is it?

In the interest of balance it's generally not wise to wander around the Saff or Beaumont Leys dressed like a Lord of the Manor either.

Has anyone read the Mercury's opinion piece linked in the opening post? Incredible. They genuinely don't believe a garment such as this can harm integration?

Has Billy Bragg become the new political editor? Some obscene SWP type left wing stuff has been appearing on their opinion page over the last few months.

Guest MattP

I thought you lived in Knighton?

(Without a private pension)

Archived