Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Central Midfielder?

To flip that back at you what exactly have they done to show they've got what it takes to peform in the Prem? 

Andy King, our all-time top goal scoring midfielder. Longest serving current outfield player. More appearances than any other current player. Versatile. Team player. I did mention the goals, right?

As for Dean Hammond...

League Appearances: 29

Starts/Substitute: 7/22

No. of goals conceded when Hammond is on the pitch: 7

No. of goals conceded after Hammond is subbed on: 1

Hammond was on the pitch when Leicester conceded 2 Wigan goals towards the end of the season. Oh no. Good job he scored one at the other end. Oh and so did Andy King.

So, why don't you think they've got what it takes? I'm not saying they're going to start every week but as back-up/rotation, surely they're fine!?!

Who are our development squad centre-mids? I know Cain is one, is Watson?

The fact that there's not even been a whisper of any centre-mids coming in, and most of our deals have hit the press before happening, makes me wonder if an academy player is earmarked to step up as 5th choice.

One of the easier positions to fill with a season long loan

Most of the biig 6 have loads of CM's who won't all get a game but with some having new managers it will be a while yet till their sorted

Cheers for the heads up, I would like Holtby or Powell on loan.

Centre of midfield I think is actually our strongest area. I think James and Drinkwater can be good enough for the premier league and improve as they are both still relatively young. King can still do a job as well. I think a left back is what we need the most.

Andy King, our all-time top goal scoring midfielder. Longest serving current outfield player. More appearances than any other current player. Versatile. Team player. I did mention the goals, right?

As for Dean Hammond...

League Appearances: 29

Starts/Substitute: 7/22

No. of goals conceded when Hammond is on the pitch: 7

No. of goals conceded after Hammond is subbed on: 1

Hammond was on the pitch when Leicester conceded 2 Wigan goals towards the end of the season. Oh no. Good job he scored one at the other end. Oh and so did Andy King.

So, why don't you think they've got what it takes? I'm not saying they're going to start every week but as back-up/rotation, surely they're fine!?!

I'll ignore King for now to avoid diluting the discussion, besides he wouldn't be the worst back up anyway.

So Dean Hammond is good enough for the Premier League because our team, consisting of 11 players, conceded 6 goals in his 7 starts......and because we only let one goal in when he got bought on for what was often all of 5 minutes.....and he scored against Wigan......No sorry you've lost me.

Even if the stat wasn't useless, I'm counting 8 in 7 starts anyway, which is actually considerably worse than the team managed on average without him, not great considering he was supposed to be more defensively minded than James or Drinkwater.

Career second tier footballer who was probably adequate back up for the Championship but if we can better to cover the engine room we certainly should. 

So you can't give me a reason?

What have they done wrong exactly?

About as much as they have done right.

I would have sacked off Hammond and brought in another player, just my opinion. Never looked good enough in the champ.

They haven't done much wrong in the Championship, but they wouldn't stand a chance in the Premiership. Their skill level just isn't up to it, and they would be cannon fodder.

I think this is a very naive viewpoint. Just because they have only played in the Championship doesn't mean they couldn't hack it in the Premier League. Look at Palace last year, other than Jedinak and 1 or 2 others how many of them would you have said 'were up to it'. We can make educated guesses but you definitely cannot say until you have seen them play in the prem that they 'wouldn't stand a chance'

Edit: not 'very naive'. maybe thats harsh. However, I do think such a viewpoint is harsh on what I believe to be a good selection of midfielders!

I think this is a very naive viewpoint. Just because they have only played in the Championship doesn't mean they couldn't hack it in the Premier League. Look at Palace last year, other than Jedinak and 1 or 2 others how many of them would you have said 'were up to it'. We can make educated guesses but you definitely cannot say until you have seen them play in the prem that they 'wouldn't stand a chance'

Doesn't mean they will either. And in Hammond's case I can't see why you'd aruge otherwise.

I think you're right we do need a new central midfielder. A Tom Huddlestone type - tough but can play a bit too! Most interesting thing in terms of signings is our defense. Not sure Schlupp is a PL RB or our two first choice central defenders have what it takes! only one way to find out tho!

LB!!!

Doesn't mean they will either. And in Hammond's case I can't see why you'd aruge otherwise.

Ok, and the main point I wanted to come across in that post is that you can't judge a player before he's even been given a chance at that level. Did people think a 30 year old Ricky Lambert would hack it in the premier league? Course they didn't, but he scored 15 times that season. You have to give these players a chance. Fair enough for you to want a higher caliber, better player than old Dean, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a chance!

Ok, and the main point I wanted to come across in that post is that you can't judge a player before he's even been given a chance at that level. Did people think a 30 year old Ricky Lambert would hack it in the premier league? Course they didn't, but he scored 15 times that season. You have to give these players a chance. Fair enough for you to want a higher caliber, better player than old Dean, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a chance!

Difference being Ricky Lambert was very good in the championship. It's not very often average champ players suddenly become good premier league players, especially is they are in their 30's.

Difference being Ricky Lambert was very good in the championship. It's not very often average champ players suddenly become good premier league players, especially is they are in their 30's.

do we need him to be a 'good premier league player' though? What is your opinion on King??

I'll ignore King for now to avoid diluting the discussion, besides he wouldn't be the worst back up anyway.

So Dean Hammond is good enough for the Premier League because our team, consisting of 11 players, conceded 6 goals in his 7 starts......and because we only let one goal in when he got bought on for what was often all of 5 minutes.....and he scored against Wigan......No sorry you've lost me.

Even if the stat wasn't useless, I'm counting 8 in 7 starts anyway, which is actually considerably worse than the team managed on average without him, not great considering he was supposed to be more defensively minded than James or Drinkwater.

Career second tier footballer who was probably adequate back up for the Championship but if we can better to cover the engine room we certainly should. 

Fair play and thanks for countering my dubious stats (I realise that I possibly made a mistake). He started vs Brighton (Away) but I didn't include the goal we conceded once he was subbed off. Still, I'll avoid stats from now on!

I still stick with the argument that he's done nothing wrong. He's got on with his job, he's not moaned about lack of game time, I doubt he's on much money, he has helped us finish games off this season. Yeah, most the time he comes on in the final few minutes but isn't that where we've traditionally been vulnerable? How many times did we used to concede late goals? It's not just down to Hammond, I know, it's down to the whole team. He's part of the team.

do we need him to be a 'good premier league player' though? What is your opinion on King??

Of course we do if we want to stay up! For the record I believe he will prove to be good enough for the Prem.

The need for a powerful defensive midfielder has been talked about a lot over the past two seasons. IMO James an Knocky will do a great job but it still think we need a proper DCM as back up, not convinced king and Hammond offer that. Sure nige has it all in hand...I hope?

What are people's thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived