Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

Grandad's Official Liverpool Chit-Chat

I thought Emre Can looked class on Monday night. Picked up a lot of second balls, always going forward with the pass a lot better than when he was playing in the back 3.

Moreno had a great chance towards the end when he intercepted a ball then steamed forward, probably should have passed to the player on his left.

I thought arsenal would challenge for the league this season but without getting in a world class striker like Higuain or Benzema it will be another 4th place.

Never got why they bought Balotelli, personally. I quite like him and do understand the appeal from Rodgers' perspective of wanting to be the manager to get him to realise his massive potential with a little application but he is the polar opposite of what got them them so close in 13/14.

panicked when he realised sturridge was probably never going to be fit again and at one stage they literally had just rickie lambert as a fit striker. should've just bought sanchez to replace suarez kept everything the same and won the league. 

Never got why they bought Balotelli, personally. I quite like him and do understand the appeal from Rodgers' perspective of wanting to be the manager to get him to realise his massive potential with a little application but he is the polar opposite of what got them them so close in 13/14.

wasnt it the committee who signed him?

Some of Liverpool's business has been absolute gash in recent years. £20m for Markovic!?!? lol

It does make me laugh when Grandad goes on about Everton and United's transfer business.

Liverpool have comfortably been the laughing stock of the transfer market (in terms of buying) for a while now.

It does make me laugh when Grandad goes on about Everton and United's transfer business.

Liverpool have comfortably been the laughing stock of the transfer market (in terms of buying) for a while now.

It's a shame for them really. If they weren't such a selling club (Suarez, Sterling etc) and didn't waste that money received anyway on all these average players they'd stand half a chance of achieving something.

I think Rodgers has brought better this summer than he did with the Suraez money last year.

Problem he had last summer is the same as Tottenham did everyone knew they had a lot of money to spend so just rinsed them for everything they've got.

Though like Scouse said they should have just got Sanchez, probably should have tried to get him as part of the Suraez deal.

I think Rodgers has brought better this summer than he did with the Suraez money last year.

Problem he had last summer is the same as Tottenham did everyone knew they had a lot of money to spend so just rinsed them for everything they've got.

Though like Scouse said they should have just got Sanchez, probably should have tried to get him as part of the Suraez deal.

they made the same mistake as spurs and tried to replace an outstanding, world class player with 5 or 6 potentially quite good players. they didn't really (to an extent) need 5 or 6 new squad players, they needed to replace the massive hole that suarez left. same as spurs and bale. top clubs replace one class player with another class player, smaller clubs get big money for one player and spend it on 5 or 6 players. liverpool shouldn't be in the latter category. 

They've definitely bought better, but are they in a better positon than they were? I don't know to be honest.

Milner and Gomez look to be solid signings as is Clyne but he hasn't settled just yet, the jury is out on Firminho and Benteke (who cost an absolute ****load, I don't believe you can't get better for 60m) and Ings seems a strange one, it's like they only got him in because he's cheap.

They're in a similar position to Arsenal in that they're close but miles away at the same time. Both need to have a far better spine to be able to get where they should be (Arsenal for the title and Liverpool in the Champions League).

they made the same mistake as spurs and tried to replace an outstanding, world class player with 5 or 6 potentially quite good players. they didn't really (to an extent) need 5 or 6 new squad players, they needed to replace the massive hole that suarez left. same as spurs and bale. top clubs replace one class player with another class player, smaller clubs get big money for one player and spend it on 5 or 6 players. liverpool shouldn't be in the latter category. 

I don't even think it was the fact they tried to improve their team all-round that was their undoing, it was their complete lack of replacement for Suarez. Who did they even sign in his place? Balotelli? lol

If they'd got Sanchez they would still be in the top four I reckon, although he isn't as good as Suarez. Realistically there was no way they were replacing him with someone as good. Elite player.

Liverpool's best bet of getting champions league is if they decide to take the Europa League seriously.

They won't win the Europa League even if they take it seriously I don't think. Stronger sides will come into it.

Coutinho £8 million

Suarez £20 million sold for £65 million

Henderson £14 million

Sturridge £12 million

Gomez £3.5 million

Clyne £12.5 million

Moreno £12 million

Torres £20 million sold for £50 million

Alonso £10 million sold for £27 million

Mascherano £17 million sold for £30 million

Sterling £3 million sold for £49 million

Raul Merieles £10 million sold for £17 million

Shelvey £1 million sold for £8.5 million

Yeah granted we have brought some absolute garbage over the years but I wouldn't say we're a laughing stock when you look at the figures overall, before the Hodgson disaster we were consistently top four and challenged for the League under Rafa, Kenny/Comoli brought Downing, Adam and Carroll so that will show him in bad light but then again he did bring in Luis Suarez and Jordan Henderson and brought through Sterling. Rodgers got carried away with the Suarez money, but before he had that money his record looked good because of Coutinho and Sturridge. Yeah Lovren, Lallana and Balotelli haven't succeeded but there is time with the first two names, Markovic is still up in the air, that kid can look a world beater on his day but the other look bleeding useless. A loan spell away would do him the world of good! 

Archived