Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Classic films you don't rate.

What the hell are all these films?

:rolleyes:

Most are considered 'classics' either due to the director/actors/time it was released. (Also all are prior to 1980... I mean who knew they made films before then hey!?!?)

Most are considered 'classics' either due to the director/actors/time it was released. (Also all are prior to 1980... I mean who knew they made films before then hey!?!?)

Classic or cult? I think you're getting them mixed up.

Sorry didn't mean to offend, I genuinely haven't heard of any of them. As Haydos said, they seem to be cult classics rather than your typical classic film, although of course it is subjective.

Sorry didn't mean to offend, I genuinely haven't heard of any of them. As Haydos said, they seem to be cult classics rather than your typical classic film, although of course it is subjective.

Not offended at all... (Damn internet and the difficulty of sarcasm!).

But I think we need to define a 'Classic', and surely a cult classic is a 'classic'!?

Surely no "Singin' in the Rain" AMAZING film!?

Crash: Crash.jpg?width=625&height= or Crash: crash1.jpg

For me (and I'm now 410 through the Empire top 500 films (circa 2008):

Bladerunner

2001; A Space Odyssey

Dr. Strangelove et. al

A Clockwork Orange

Manhattan

Brazil

Blue Velvet

The French Connection

Don't Look now

And ANYTHING by Terence Malick

Hahahahahaha! What is wrong with you?! That's a list of amazing films. I'd love to know what films you do like.

Hold on, you're that chap who bums off the Wii U, aren't you? Makes sense now. ;)

For me, it's bloody Star Warse, LOTR, musicals. I'm sure there are some more - I'll be back when I remember them.

Oooh some more:

Bullitt

The French Connection

Scanners

Blue Velvet

Duck Soup

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Suspiria

Eraserhead

And finally the least funny comedy film (except the date/epic Movies) - Animal House

And it continues! Seriously, everyone, if you want to see a good film, watch one that Phube doesn't like.

My favourite 'Classics' (just for Raw Dykes):

The Good, the bad, the ugly

Butch cassidy and the Sundance kid

Sunset Boulevard

His Girl Friday

It happened one night

Singin' in the rain

Rear Window

North by northwest

12 angry men

Harold and Maude

Being There

Casablanca

Gone with the wind

The Philadephia story

Das Boot

One flew over the cuckoos nest

Ben hur

Sophie's choice

Roman holiday

Kind hearts and coronets

The shop around the corner

Some like it hot

Cinema paradiso

Three colours : red

Bored so I'll stop! For now! :)

My favourite 'Classics' (just for Raw Dykes):

The Good, the bad, the ugly

Butch cassidy and the Sundance kid

Sunset Boulevard

His Girl Friday

It happened one night

Singin' in the rain

Rear Window

North by northwest

12 angry men

Harold and Maude

Being There

Casablanca

Gone with the wind

The Philadephia story

Das Boot

One flew over the cuckoos nest

Ben hur

Sophie's choice

Roman holiday

Kind hearts and coronets

The shop around the corner

Some like it hot

Cinema paradiso

Three colours : red

Bored so I'll stop! For now! :)

Ok. I'm surprised - there are some very good films in that list, too. Do you mind sharing any reasons why you put any of the others in the overrated list?

Ok. I'm surprised - there are some very good films in that list, too. Do you mind sharing any reasons why you put any of the others in the overrated list?

I genuinely couldn't tell you... I think I like whimsy but not surreal. Fun characters and smart dialogue, but not seroius without reason. Also something has to happen, hence the hatred of Mallick.

But I was mistaken by one, I did rate clockwork orange... 8/10. My bad.

I genuinely couldn't tell you... I think I like whimsy but not surreal. Fun characters and smart dialogue, but not seroius without reason. Also something has to happen, hence the hatred of Mallick.

But I was mistaken by one, I did rate clockwork orange... 8/10. My bad.

I love Bullitt and The French Connection, but I can understand why people wouldn't - there's not an awful lot for people who don't like car chases. I love all the Kubrick films you listed, and I like Lynch's work, even if it can make my brain overheat. I loved Brazil. Gilliam has such an inimitable style - he creates worlds that look lovingly hand-crafted, but for some reason it never ruins the immersion for me. I'm not a big fan of Harrison Ford, but Blade Runner is one of my faves. Futuristic noir is a great idea on its own, but the execution couldn't really have been any better. So stylish.

Fair enough. I thought it was funny that the list you posted reads very much like a list of my favourite films.

I think that's it, I personally think they're (not my) style over substance. Really nice style, I mean Mallick's films look lovely, but I just can't enjoy them. ..

I loved the ending of Brazil... just the first 95% left me a bit meh.

I blame the fact that I genuinely dont have an artistic bone in my body. ..

For Phube, films peoples are saying classics they hate that aren't even classics (being a big blockbusting "successful" film doesn't make it a classic)

The Matrix

Lord of the Rings is a tedious advert for a pointless country, I don't get why anyone likes it.

I thought Requiem for a Dream was ****ing awful. 

My mate says it's his favourite film but I barely got through it.

The one and only film mentioned in the thread that I've never heard of.

Willy wonka. Not that I think it's rubbish it's just he scares the sh1t out of me.

Not... sure... if... serious

I didn't want to watch it, I knew it would be shit.......but it was just awful

It was decidely average (Dances With Wolves in space with new-fangled 3D)

Never seen Avatar because I thought it would be shit so if anyone ever mentions it to me I say 'yeah, didn't like it', that ends that.

Titanic.
Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog maybe possible future classic... Titanic lol lol lol

Armageddon. Hated it, overrated cheesy pile of shite.

That Aerosmith song was crap too.

Erm... it's a Michael Bay film... so therefore a pile of steaming crap that no one will call a classic.

Beverly Hills Cop 3 . . . expected so much, got so little.

and some further controversial choices; Disclosure, Body of Evidence and Sleepless in Seattle.

:unsure:

There are loads of films that have their merits, but definitely won awards/plaudits politically in the Hollywood system, but other better films were overlooked or didn't get the limelight.

I've looked over the Academy Award Best Picture winners, which should indicate quality. Technical, acting, script, the whole shebang, etc.

Argo - Acting was passable, script wasn't amazing, direction wasn't outstanding.

The Hurt Locker - Okay for what it was, a thriller, but seriously better than 'A Serious Man'/ 'Up' that year?

Anything Tom Cruise is in. Usually overhyped, overacted shite, though I can cope with his performance in Magnolia, cos he's being himself.

Just cos a film won an Oscar doesn't mean it's a classic, it means it was flavour of the month. And whilst Tom Cruise has made some good films, I don't think any single one of them would be considered a classic.

I had a couple more quotes I had to edit out because I had exceeded the max :) Belial saying Dirty Dancing and Grease and Gladiator which was mentioned a few times.

For me a classic film is a a film held up as an example fo great story-telling, good acting and fine cinematography - a film other films should aspire to!

For Phube, films peoples are saying classics they hate that aren't even classics (being a big blockbusting "successful" film doesn't make it a classic)

The one and only film mentioned in the thread that I've never heard of.

Not... sure... if... serious

It was decidely average (Dances With Wolves in space with new-fangled 3D)

Slumdog maybe possible future classic... Titanic lol lol lol

Erm... it's a Michael Bay film... so therefore a pile of steaming crap that no one will call a classic.

:unsure:

Just cos a film won an Oscar doesn't mean it's a classic, it means it was flavour of the month. And whilst Tom Cruise has made some good films, I don't think any single one of them would be considered a classic.

I had a couple more quotes I had to edit out because I had exceeded the max :) Belial saying Dirty Dancing and Grease and Gladiator which was mentioned a few times.

For me a classic film is a a film held up as an example fo great story-telling, good acting and fine cinematography - a film other films should aspire to!

The consensus on what a 'classic' being defined as is always going to be subjective, as a music lubber Trav you should know better. The marketeers who stick classic on the box in order to sell their back catalogue a before the new format disappears/appears or some sort of societal poll? I used Oscars as a standard methodology of middle-ground. Usually they will get 'classic' treatment, so using more modern examples is acceptable. Otherwise you go down the classic/cult route. There are plenty of cult films for me that I would suggest never got their dues, but people would balk at, as they don't get them, they think they are dreary/arty etc.

The consensus on what a 'classic' being defined as is always going to be subjective, as a music lubber Trav you should know better. The marketeers who stick classic on the box in order to sell their back catalogue a before the new format disappears/appears or some sort of societal poll? I used Oscars as a standard methodology of middle-ground. Usually they will get 'classic' treatment, so using more modern examples is acceptable. Otherwise you go down the classic/cult route. There are plenty of cult films for me that I would suggest never got their dues, but people would balk at, as they don't get them, they think they are dreary/arty etc.

Given. I did um and arr about including Oscar winners.

Your post raised a point in my mind though - in film it is generally the arty, less commercially successful, films that win awards. In music, it is quite the reverse - weird that!

Given. I did um and arr about including Oscar winners.

Your post raised a point in my mind though - in film it is generally the arty, less commercially successful, films that win awards. In music, it is quite the reverse - weird that!

Not necessarily. There does seem to be an inclusion of more made for Oscar season tripe, which get pumped with dollar. Titanic would be a great example, despite the attention to detail in the production for me the script was hammy, the relationships weak, and of course for that specific story an inevitable ending. Every studio would like one of those successes, both in awards and commercially.

Depending on what music awards you might refer to, for me the gravitas of accolade was lost a long time ago, when sponsors, and industry politics polluted them. You can find more independent awards, like in film, but again dependant on the background of those, can you on paper decide to listen to their recommendations.

Lord of the Rings is a tedious advert for a pointless country, I don't get why anyone likes it.

Have you actually been to New Zealand? Its one of the most geographically diverse and beautiful places in the world.

Archived