Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Classic films you don't rate.

I've never seen more than about 10 minutes of The Shawshank Redemption but the amount of superlatives thrown about whenever it gets mentioned makes me naturally suspicious.  I've heard it called 'amazing', 'brilliant', 'a classic' a trillion times, but remain without a clue as to what makes it so.

Watch it.

Don't think I can think of too many sci fi films worth an Oscar for acting.

Alien and Blade Runner are two off the top of my head, sure there are more too. Ledger got one for TDK though, I guess.

In any case I don't think that really detracts from the original point that FIF made and I elaborated on which is that Sci-Fi and Fantasy is subject to a lot of unwarranted generalised derision from a lot of people who dismiss it as not being "realistic" enough for True Art and really should know better. Or when it's so good that they can't pick anything apart, they call it "not really Sci-Fi or fantasy", like Alien being a horror film rather than a Sci-Fi one or The Dark Knight being a "thriller" rather than a comic book movie.

Back on topic, other than picking that hole in Kane (because of the aforementioned hate for Hearst) I think pretty much all the classic films have redeemding features - there's not any of them that I would really go out of my way to rate down.

Does anyone think of Bond films as 'classic'?

The older ones, yeah. "Live And Let Die", "You Only Live Twice" etc. I'm not a massive film fan, in fact I rarely watch them, but I like James Bond. The older ones are usually more gripping, though the latest one was probably the best of recent times.

The older ones, yeah. "Live And Let Die", "You Only Live Twice" etc. I'm not a massive film fan, in fact I rarely watch them, but I like James Bond. The older ones are usually more gripping, though the latest one was probably the best of recent times.

Fox - were you born in 1992 or are you 92?

There are loads of films that have their merits, but definitely won awards/plaudits politically in the Hollywood system, but other better films were overlooked or didn't get the limelight.

I've looked over the Academy Award Best Picture winners, which should indicate quality. Technical, acting, script, the whole shebang, etc.

Argo - Acting was passable, script wasn't amazing, direction wasn't outstanding.

The Hurt Locker - Okay for what it was, a thriller, but seriously better than 'A Serious Man'/ 'Up' that year?

Anything Tom Cruise is in. Usually overhyped, overacted shite, though I can cope with his performance in Magnolia, cos he's being himself.

I don't really like the latest Batman films. Not sure if they are considered classics though.

One of the greatest series of movies I've ever watched.

Agree that early James Bond movies are well overrated.

Argo - Acting was passable, script wasn't amazing, direction wasn't outstanding.

The Hurt Locker - Okay for what it was, a thriller, but seriously better than 'A Serious Man'/ 'Up' that year?

USA military chest thumping, gets you 5 points from 10 with a lot of American critics before the movie has even started.

Oooh some more:

Bullitt

The French Connection

Scanners

Blue Velvet

Duck Soup

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Suspiria

Eraserhead

And finally the least funny comedy film (except the date/epic Movies) - Animal House

Oooh some more:

Bullitt

The French Connection

Scanners

Blue Velvet

Duck Soup

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Suspiria

Eraserhead

And finally the least funny comedy film (except the date/epic Movies) - Animal House

What the hell are all these films?

Archived