Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Classic films you don't rate.

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Had the poster on my wall at work for years, but only just got around to watching the film.

Audrey was a nice distraction but didn't think the film was all that amazing. 

There's a lot of people naming films here which are exceptional and deservedly iconic. If it's just that they personally didn't like them though recognise their profile qualities, fair enough, different strokes for different folks. I'm not a fan of many old Jack Nicholson films (Cuckoos nest aside.)

If people are naming films that they don't believe should merit the acclaim they get, however, then this is a thread full of idiots and I don't know who to start with.

Possibly Webbo for the attack on Glengarry Glen Ross (I'm not sure if you're being ironic, it IS a play.)

There's a lot of people naming films here which are exceptional and deservedly iconic. If it's just that they personally didn't like them though recognise their profile qualities, fair enough, different strokes for different folks. I'm not a fan of many old Jack Nicholson films (Cuckoos nest aside.)

If people are naming films that they don't believe should merit the acclaim they get, however, then this is a thread full of idiots and I don't know who to start with.

Possibly Webbo for the attack on Glengarry Glen Ross (I'm not sure if you're being ironic, it IS a play.)

If I'd watched it on stage it might have been different but as a film it was crap.

If I'd watched it on stage it might have been different but as a film it was crap.

But Alex Baldwin's speech? Or that Gil from the Simpsons based on the old fella??

'You gots to give me Glengarry leads!!'

Disappointed in whoever it was that said A Clockwork Orange, awesome film. And I wouldn't class Requiem for a Dream a classic, I can imagine plenty of people have never heard of it. It's all about personal choice with film, but I would never say the Godfather, perhaps my favorite of all time; can never decide between part II or the original as to which is my favorite though.

Jaws - the score is epic, the film is pretty boring, for me.

Citizen Kane - I understand that it established many principles for modern film, but my God it goes on forever.

If you include the likes of Die Hard then that definitely - just not my kind of film at all.

Why should the space you watch it in be that much influence?

If the school record your kid's play for you to keep does it lose any artistic merit (assuming it had any to begin with) because it's been captured on film?

Glengarry Glen Ross doesn't exist to boast it's film making excellence or cinematic qualities, it's just a terrific piece of performance art from several world class actors at their peak.

That you didn't enjoy it is your taste and that's fair enough, to each their own. Like I said, my only beef is if people are genuinely doubting the quality of some of these films because that'd just be dumb.

Hurry up Finners I've got to go work in a minute.

Sorry, I started then the missus showed up!

I can imagine plenty of people have never heard of it. It's all about personal choice with film, but I would never say the Godfather, perhaps my favorite of all time; can never decide between part II or the original as to which is my favorite though.

Amazed The Godfather even gets a mention in this thread.

I and II are the best pair of films ever.

There are some strange definitions of "classic"

Also interesting to note that LOTR, STAR WARS, Harry Potter are getting a lot of mentions. Not surprising as the fantasy and Sci-fi genres always get criticised, I believe it was proven that some people just lack the "imagination gene" needed to appreciate anything that isn't concrete and from their own world. You'll find that most people that criticize Fantasy films criticize them all.

Titanic - that was utterly boring - again a film aimed at women that men don't have the capacity to appreciate.

There are some strange definitions of "classic"

Also interesting to note that LOTR, STAR WARS, Harry Potter are getting a lot of mentions. Not surprising as the fantasy and Sci-fi genres always get criticised, I believe it was proven that some people just lack the "imagination gene" needed to appreciate anything that isn't concrete and from their own world. You'll find that most people that criticize Fantasy films criticize them all.

Titanic - that was utterly boring - again a film aimed at women that men don't have the capacity to appreciate.

Exactly right.

I think it's called the "Sci-Fi" ghetto effect and it's seen a lot, both everyday and in the film and book critic industries. The higher-level literary circles, for instance, are at a wholw other level of intellectual snobbery when it comes to it. And there's a reason Sci-Fi and Fantasy films don't win many leading Oscars, despite some of them being worthy in terms of the acting, directing and technical merit.

Don't think I can think of too many sci fi films worth an Oscar for acting.

Yet Sandra Bullock can get one for an atrocious performance. Worthiness is in the eye of the beholder.

I've never seen more than about 10 minutes of The Shawshank Redemption but the amount of superlatives thrown about whenever it gets mentioned makes me naturally suspicious.  I've heard it called 'amazing', 'brilliant', 'a classic' a trillion times, but remain without a clue as to what makes it so.

I'm rarely completely at odds with critical opinion (e.g. they said Avatar was a bit of a turd and it is a bit of a turd, the start of Saving Private Ryan is a spectacle, the remainder of the film a non event, you hope both the main characters in Titanic die etc etc etc) but the one in recent years that everyone waxed lyrical over and I thought was f-ing awful was The Hurt Locker.  Look at how this man is troubled by the experience of war - you can see it on his face!  Proper acting, that. Amazing

Archived