Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
Tielemans63

NASCAR driver hits and 'kills' fellow driver

Recommended Posts

Posted

The video isn't a nice watch. Tony Stewart has enough experience to know better than that but Kevin put his life in danger by walking back onto the track. A lot of the blames lies with officials who allow the drivers to run around and fight on the track without punishment. Stewart himself once ran back onto a track and chucked his helmet at an opponents windshield.

Posted

Stewart's a psycho and NASCAR likes to foster this kind of needle between drivers, so it's not surprising it's spilled over into an actual death.

Posted

As said above, daft all round. I never watch Nascar but it doesn't make for pleasant reading that this kind of incident (walking on to track in front of fast traffic) isn't a one-off. 

Posted

Looks intentional! Murder charge should be incoming imo.

 

Although the guy who walked out in to the track surely has had a death wish.

 

Released without charge and should be racing later.

 

I think a prosecutor would have trouble proving intent from that amateur video.

 

Tragic nonetheless.

Posted

Stewarts never far away from a moment of controversy, saying that, I don't feel any of us are in a position to say whether it was intentional or not. I do agree with the fact that it's about time Nascar take a look at their organisation, they let a lot of stuff go because it gets some extra viewers!

Posted

Ward Jr was far too naive when he walked on track during the race. He should have expected what was coming to him, not that he deserved it of course.

Posted

Stewarts never far away from a moment of controversy, saying that, I don't feel any of us are in a position to say whether it was intentional or not. I do agree with the fact that it's about time Nascar take a look at their organisation, they let a lot of stuff go because it gets some extra viewers!

I get what you're saying. I wasn't there, I don't know what was going through Ward and Stewart's minds... but I just can't blame Stewart for this one. I'm not sprint car expert, but I do know it's hard for drivers to see or hear much on their right side, and I don't think "Smoke" intentionally ran the kid into the wall. I also don't think Stewart tried to run into the kid, much less buzz him. I do think this was a tragedy that snowballed from unfortunate incidents and poor decisions, and watching that video was sickening.

 

I've only started semi-actively watching NASCAR this year because one of my friends got me and a few other non-NASCAR fans to join a fantasy racing league he does with his fellow race-fan buddies, for shits, giggles, and a few bucks. I'd have to say Smoke (and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for last Saturday's incident) is probably my favorite driver in the circuit  :dunno: . A small part of that has to do with the "controversy" he almost seems to court, but a lot of it has to do with him just being a real old school 'merican ****in' race car driver. I think it's really cool that Stewart--an all-time great in American auto racing--always has time for races like last Saturday (since he's a co-owner of his own team and can do what he wants, he's one of the few NASCAR drivers that would even be allowed to race sprint cars). It was an even bigger deal that Stewart was doing this at this time because he broke his leg in a sprint car race a year ago, yet there he was, right back at his roots. There's nothing else really like it; it would almost be like if Wayne Rooney played a few games for non-league teams around England for the love of both the game and grassroots football. And I think this makes last Saturday's incident even much more awful.

 

As for NASCAR and controversies, well, you're not wrong there. It's silly that nothing Stewart does comes without him being labeled as a hothead, yet Dale Earnhardt was a ridiculously reckless driver but was revered as "The Intimidator" long before his untimely death. I have a really hard time taking NASCAR seriously, and the biggest reason is because the folks in charge of the show do nothing but mistake the forest for the trees. In recent years, drivers have gotten the same fines and point penalties for intentionally causing wrecks as drivers that merely used a profanity in a post-race interview. Some of the safety regulations have been life-savers, but others are just seem to be to look like they're useful (there was a huge wreck at last Sunday's race at Watkins Glen--one of the rare road races--that had plenty to do with a poorly-placed guard rail), and NASCAR is about a generation behind the curve when it comes to preventing and treating concussions. The whole championship system (the "Chase for the Cup") is this poorly contrived--it's a dumb format that NASCAR makes even dumber every few years.

 

The NASCAR stereotype, as succinctly put by Eric Cartman, is that it's for the "poor and stupid." A lot of the top drivers are really clever guys, though, and always talk plenty of sense when they speak honestly about how things should be done in NASCAR. If the drivers and crews ran NASCAR for a season, it would be fascinating. The folks in charge and the sponsors, though, seem dead-set on making their circuit some weird mish-mash of auto racing, NFL, and WWE. It's no surprise that NASCAR is gradually losing TV viewers and median team market values are decreasing when NASCAR is trying every gimmick to make a quick buck today without seriously considering the future of their product. NASCAR knows people love to see a good crash, but it's as if they're trying to keep the same number of crashes, but just try to make sure nobody dies in them. Oh, and there are also all the bullshit yellow flags they throw because of "debris on the track" late in races (turning 400+ miles races into essentially 7-lap mad dashes is also really dangerous).

 

Going back to the incident that sparked this discussion... I doubt Stewart will face criminal charges. I think the Ward family will try to take matters to a civil court, although I cannot tell you how that would end. Racing circuits around the country will make stricter rules against drivers leaving their cars when not facing risk of severe injury or death (i.e. fire in the cockpit) and establish better safety standards in other areas--if NASCAR has any sense, it will lead in this regard.

Posted

I get what you're saying. I wasn't there, I don't know what was going through Ward and Stewart's minds... but I just can't blame Stewart for this one. I'm not sprint car expert, but I do know it's hard for drivers to see or hear much on their right side, and I don't think "Smoke" intentionally ran the kid into the wall. I also don't think Stewart tried to run into the kid, much less buzz him. I do think this was a tragedy that snowballed from unfortunate incidents and poor decisions, and watching that video was sickening.

 

 

“I seen Kevin clear as day. Nobody else ran into him, either,” he told NBC News, noting he was close enough to see Ward’s face after the 20-year-old stepped out of his car, angrily gesturing at Stewart.

 

That was Paul Kinney

 

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/tony-stewart-crash-that-killed-kevin-ward-was-avoidable-says-racer-paul-kinney/story-e6frf3z3-1227022593729

Posted

“I seen Kevin clear as day. Nobody else ran into him, either,” he told NBC News, noting he was close enough to see Ward’s face after the 20-year-old stepped out of his car, angrily gesturing at Stewart.

That was Paul Kinney

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/tony-stewart-crash-that-killed-kevin-ward-was-avoidable-says-racer-paul-kinney/story-e6frf3z3-1227022593729

I was talking about the wreck on the turn.

As for Stewart hitting Ward, the mechanic for the #45 car ahead of Stewart said his driver didn't see Ward until the last moment.

To be fair, though, it's probably best for any witness to keep quiet until they've at least spoken to the investigators and/or their lawyers.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...