Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

Okazaki shouldn't have been put in the position of being at fault for the goal, why wasn't Huth or Morgan or Fuchs marking schweinstager rather than Okazaki, just bad organisation. And for what it's worth, Kasper was at fault for the goal

For our goal Kasper comes out catches the ball from the corner and sends it out to Fuchs. For their goal Kasper stays on the line for a corner that was so similar to the last corner and they get a goal. Just think he needs to command his area better

United completed 310 passes in 60 minutes before he went off (5.12 per minute).

They completed 181 in 30 minutes after he went off (6 per minute).

So that's 18% more passes United were able to complete without Okazaki on the pitch.

Specifically, the players Okazaki was closing down - Carrick and Schweinsteiger, each completed 26 passes (0.87 per minute) with Okazaki off the pitch. With Okazaki on the pitch, Carrick completed 39 (0.65) and Schweinsteiger 31 (0.52).

So the players Okazaki was tasked with closing down and stopping United playing increased their ability to be able to play passes and start moves by 34% (Carrick) and 67% (Schweinsteiger).

The key to United's game plan under van Gaal is having two quality ball players controlling the game from deep. As soon as we took off Okazaki their ability to play the game on their terms shot up dramatically.

We missed him when he was taken off today for sure. Nobody pressing high up the pitch opened the door for them to completely control the game in midfield.

What's Kramaric done to deserve a place?

What has he done to not deserve a chance? Kramaric is simply a better footballer then Okazaki from what I've seen.

What has he done to not deserve a chance? Kramaric is simply a better footballer then Okazaki from what I've seen.

What has Kramaric done to not deserve a chance? Probably showing nothing in training. Neither Pearson nor Ranieri seem to rate the lad after seeing him in training every day. He has had a few chances and has generally fluffed his lines. From what I've seen he's a championship standard striker at the moment.

What has Kramaric done to not deserve a chance? Probably showing nothing in training. Neither Pearson nor Ranieri seem to rate the lad after seeing him in training every day. He has had a few chances and has generally fluffed his lines. From what I've seen he's a championship standard striker at the moment.

To be honest Okazaki would struggle in that league too. Its just as physical as the Premier League, I like Okazaki's desire and I'm sure there is a good player there somewhere but he is just playing in the wrong country.

Woeful today AGAIN, gave the ball away over and over, weak, at fault for the goal.

Overall our whole team lacks height ....   but at fault for the goal ? ...   no, that was 100% Kaspers fault for not coming out.      It was in his 6 yard box which he should dominate.

Okazaki/Ulloa are all we've got until we find someone better.  They seem to be a double act for me at the moment ...   one starting the other coming on.   Both missed chances but as I've just said ...    whats the alternative.     I think both of them can play at lot better ....   but they really need to show that soon.

Overall our whole team lacks height .... but at fault for the goal ? ... no, that was 100% Kaspers fault for not coming out. It was in his 6 yard box which he should dominate.

Okazaki/Ulloa are all we've got until we find someone better. They seem to be a double act for me at the moment ... one starting the other coming on. Both missed chances but as I've just said ... whats the alternative. I think both of them can play at lot better .... but they really need to show that soon.

Kasper should have come yes, but why is he marking bastian you have to Ask yourself?

You will say because we lack height, I say because he isn't good enough at holding the ball up when it comes out, else he wouldn't even be in there. That attempt to mark (someone who isn't even good in the air may I say) was pathetic for ANY professional footballer, regardless of the keeper. He didn't even have to jump to win it?

United completed 310 passes in 60 minutes before he went off (5.12 per minute).

They completed 181 in 30 minutes after he went off (6 per minute).

So that's 18% more passes United were able to complete without Okazaki on the pitch.

Specifically, the players Okazaki was closing down - Carrick and Schweinsteiger, each completed 26 passes (0.87 per minute) with Okazaki off the pitch. With Okazaki on the pitch, Carrick completed 39 (0.65) and Schweinsteiger 31 (0.52).

So the players Okazaki was tasked with closing down and stopping United playing increased their ability to be able to play passes and start moves by 34% (Carrick) and 67% (Schweinsteiger).

The key to United's game plan under van Gaal is having two quality ball players controlling the game from deep. As soon as we took off Okazaki their ability to play the game on their terms shot up dramatically.

Why do you try to persist to try to justify that we are a better defensive unit when he's on? Go to the previous page and it shows you per 90 with him on we concede MORE. And score LESS. As opposed to Ulloa

Who cares how many passes thy make in front of 11 men? When have we ever cared?

Point out a time when either of the midfielder fashioned a chance when Okazaki was off the pitch? I dont remember one

He does do that yes but in your honest opinion does that alone warrant a starting place in our team? People mention about us moving on from players like Nugent which I agree with but it feels like we've let a player go for free and spent £7m on a carbon copy (if not worse)

We got about 4mill for Nugent.

Why do you try to persist to try to justify that we are a better defensive unit when he's on? Go to the previous page and it shows you per 90 with him on we concede MORE. And score LESS.

Point out a time when either of the midfielder fashioned a chance when Okazaki was off the pitch? I do t remember one

Because it restricts their ability to have time on the ball and make a better decision to pick a more incisive pass. If you have a player (i.e. in this case Okazaki) on your heels or closing you down, it means you have to give the ball away quicker and if I remember correctly Man Utd were very sloppy in their passing in the first half. 

You say 'when have we ever cared'? It's one of the reasons we are successful - players across the park (not just Okazaki) high-pressing and committing defenders in to mistakes or rushed passes. It's an aspect of Vardy's game and to a lesser extent, Okazaki's. Their tenacity is what helps us regain possession.

'He isn't completely useless' lol

I was sat with a man utd fan at the game that was genuinely diaappointed when Okazaki went off. He completely disagreed with your statement and thought he was doggo. Blue tinted specs on here, as I remembered seeing the same opinion on watfords forum I believe.

Did we improve when Ulloa came on for him?

Why do you try to persist to try to justify that we are a better defensive unit when he's on? Go to the previous page and it shows you per 90 with him on we concede MORE. And score LESS. As opposed to Ulloa

Point out a time when either of the midfielder fashioned a chance when Okazaki was off the pitch? I dont remember one

Firstly I would say that I don't particularly care about how many passes Man United make or don't make, but Ranieri obviously did, which is why he started Okazaki.

Neither Carrick nor Schweinsteiger are in that team to create chances (or score goals for that matter). They're there to control the game. They controlled the game a damn sight more when Okazaki went off.

You're also putting words into my mouth about saying we're better defensively with Okazaki on the pitch. I think we're better as a team; us filling out boots against Newcastle and West Brom is hardly proof that we're better with Ulloa in the team.

I've addressed the specific point about the importance of his role yesterday and what we lost when he went off.

Finally to address a point in a previous post, the reason Okazaki is in the box defending set pieces is so that we can counter attack. We don't want to leave more than one up front and Vardy is the quickest centre forward in the league, so it stands to reason that he, and not Okazaki, is left up front. In fact, if you really stretch your brain you might be able to remember a time when we scored in exactly that way quite recently.

Because it restricts their ability to have time on the ball and make a better decision to pick a more incisive pass. If you have a player (i.e. in this case Okazaki) on your heels or closing you down, it means you have to give the ball away quicker and if I remember correctly Man Utd were very sloppy in their passing in the first half.

You say 'when have we ever cared'? It's one of the reasons we are successful - players across the park (not just Okazaki) high-pressing and committing defenders in to mistakes or rushed passes. It's an aspect of Vardy's game and to a lesser extent, Okazaki's. Their tenacity is what helps us regain possession.

He was taken off as man Utd had ALREADY got a foothold in the game, was already penning us back, and were passing it around nicely. At that point, it's about being compact defending in banks or four and being organised. That's why we didn't concede again in the second half, not much at all to do with Okazaki. Hence why when Ulloa came on, they still didn't get in behind us or really cause is any problems.

He was taken off as man Utd had ALREADY got a foothold in the game, was already penning us back, and were passing it around nicely. At that point, it's about being compact defending in banks or four and being organised. That's why we didn't concede again in the second half, not much at all to do with Okazaki. Hence why when Ulloa came on, they still didn't get in behind us or really cause is any problems.

They didn't "get in behind" or cause us any problems when Okazaki was on either?

You're all over the place.

They didn't "get in behind" or cause us any problems when Okazaki was on either?

You're all over the place.

I'm not. I'm saying, it wasn't te pressing from the front that was important in the second half, it was about being organised in midfield and defence.

When the pressing is ineffective, what does he have? Really? Just a nothing player.

Ulloa fluffed his lines a couple of times, but his first touch at least allowed him to get a shot off. He probably had more shots against united in his small cameo yesterday than Okazaki in about 8 games.

I think he's being asked to a specific job, not one that is necessarily his game, but perhaps he's the best of the bunch for that role.

Am I right in saying that Ranieri didn't buy him. If so, it makes sense that he's not a perfect fit for that position. I think Okazaki was bought as an alternative for Vardy rather than to play alongside him but with Vardy's unexpected sparkling form, Okazaki is unlikely to get much of a run in that position.

I've mentioned this somewhere before about that ole behind the main striker and you can have one of two types of players playing there, in very simplistic terms anyway. You can either have a striker sitting deep or a more advanced midfielder. I think the role that Okazaki is being asked to do is that which would be suited more to a midfielder. I wouldn't mind seeing Andy King in that role actually. He has the midfield attributes required and we know he can finish. The reason why Kingy doesn't feature as much as he should is because of him being a utility midfielder. Perhaps this position could be one that he could call his own,

Archived