Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

Shinji puts a shift in and gives it his all but he struggles to keep the ball and hasn't scored many yet this season and maybe because we have Jamie on such a great run it has gone under the radar a bit. I prefer Ulloa to partner Jamie. Even in the modern game a big strong bloke up top helps us I think.

For all the grovelling over Okazaki, Ulloa, Kramaric etc etc, it can't be that bad, one defeat all season.

Stay positive

It's still a cause for concern though mate. Vardy and Riyad won't be able to continue this form forever and heaven forbid Vardy gets an injury that he can't play through.

The best sides address their weaknesses even when things are going well, we must do the same

Much like a lot of people here, I don't fully understand the role of Shinji in this team, but by virtue of being in the top 3 I am able to accept there is one.

Personally my preference would be Ulloa, but when things are not broken they do not require fixing.

Thing is as Babylon said, if we play Ulloa there we will suffer from a lack of intensity and high pressure that we'd always get from Shinji.

Ulloa is a good option when we want to take the game to teams. Shinji's good against possession teams. If Ulloa started against Man Utd I think we would have seen even less of the ball.

Thing is as Babylon said, if we play Ulloa there we will suffer from a lack of intensity and high pressure that we'd always get from Shinji.

Ulloa is a good option when we want to take the game to teams. Shinji's good against possession teams. If Ulloa started against Man Utd I think we would have seen even less of the ball.

I don't remember us suffering from anything in particular when Ulloa was playing his part in the similar kind of successful streak we enjoyed last season.

Or King, or Sclupp. But it seems we sure lost something against Manchester United. We lost our impetus after taking the lead. Some of the raw pace, excitement and commitment evaporated and virtually disappeared after their equaliser to leave us with a team that did mostly what it did against Spurs, just blocked off the space and lost almost all its sense of adventure.

Someone said they saw Ranieri urging us forwards but, the Ulloa chance excepted, it didn't happen.

It somehow became more important not to lose than to win and, consciously or otherwise, I didn't see Shinji doing anything to counterbalance that or to prevent the disappointment I, and others, felt in drawing a game we might so bravely have won if we'd showed some belief.

Instead we ended up following their aimless succession of backwards or crossfield passes and looking like we were tired (or uninspired) trundling through the motions of it all.

If Kramaric has been sorting out his workrate and tracking back on the training pitch, he could be a better alternative in that role.

Al i've ever heard in respect of Kramaric is "if". 

I don't remember us suffering from anything in particular when Ulloa was playing his part in the similar kind of successful streak we enjoyed last season.

Or King, or Sclupp. But it seems we sure lost something against Manchester United. We lost our impetus after taking the lead. Some of the raw pace, excitement and commitment evaporated and virtually disappeared after their equaliser to leave us with a team that did mostly what it did against Spurs, just blocked off the space and lost almost all its sense of adventure.

Someone said they saw Ranieri urging us forwards but, the Ulloa chance excepted, it didn't happen.

It somehow became more important not to lose than to win and, consciously or otherwise, I didn't see Shinji doing anything to counterbalance that or to prevent the disappointment I, and others, felt in drawing a game we might so bravely have won if we'd showed some belief.

Instead we ended up following their aimless succession of backwards or crossfield passes and looking like we were tired (or uninspired) trundling through the motions of it all.

Manchester United are the most defensively solid team in the premier league.

I'm sure that the lack of successful attacking wasn't for lack of trying.

As for last season's run, Ulloa was able to play a big part because there was somebody in the hole behind him and Vardy. He's an out-and-out centre forward. To get him playing to his best we either need to switch to a back 3, drop Vardy or switch Vardy's position. None of those are happening any time soon.

For all the grovelling over Okazaki, Ulloa, Kramaric etc etc, it can't be that bad, one defeat all season.

Stay positive

Stay positive

That's the trouble with doing well. Some people stop thinking in terms of being even better. I don't care if we'd won every match. If we've got a situation we can improve we should improve it.

People talk about the investment factor of Shinji and it's damn right i think there's a connection. No I don't think our owners want us to include a bad player because Shinji's not a bad player - he's a pretty good and certainly hardworking player as part of the squad.

But if Kingy, Schlupp or Ulloa had been playing that role with a similar effect, everyone would have been yelling we should be trying Shinji.

As for last season's run, Ulloa was able to play a big part because there was somebody in the hole behind him and Vardy. He's an out-and-out centre forward. To get him playing to his best we either need to switch to a back 3, drop Vardy or switch Vardy's position. None of those are happening any time soon.

Apart from the second sentence I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that. And would actually use King in the position out of choice although that would leave us struggling for a central midfield replacement if the need arose.

There'll be enforced changes soon in any case because I don't think Vardy can keep playing through all these injuries on adrenalin for ever and when he does get his rest, we'' need someone to take on the mantle of goalscorer and, qualities though they all have, I don't see Drinkwater, Kante or Okazaki providing the answer to that one.

Truth is we're woefully short of supplementary goalscorers.

Up top Vardy, Ulloa and Mahrez are fine. But we need a few from elsewhere too. I don't quite understand why Drinkwater's so ineffective. He does strike the ball well but doesn't get his mind right.

All the time he fires over or wide instead of focusing first of all on hitting the target. It can be coached, no problem, but it hasn't been. Conditioned football would sort the problem in no time. Devise a small-sided game which gives him lots of shots and includes an instant punishment for missing the target. Apply the game during every training session until hitting the target becomes second nature. The more times he hits the target the more he'll score. Simple. 

This place is mental. Do you not think if king,schlupp or Ulloa were better suited to the role then they would be playing instead? It wasn't so long ago that everyone wanted Mahrez in the "number 10" role,what a success that was.

This place is mental. Do you not think if king,schlupp or Ulloa were better suited to the role then they would be playing instead? It wasn't so long ago that everyone wanted Mahrez in the "number 10" role,what a success that was.

Maybe i think exactly that. People need time to adapt to a role and to sort the specific problems that arise. Mahrez was given a nibble at the position, King's scored stacks of goals from exactly the kind of position the role would send him into and I've seen Schlupp play the role several times in League Cup or lower grade football and with greater effect than in other positions at times. 

Shinji's played the role lots of times and, while the outcome in terms of results has been as good as when he wasn't playing, he's actually had very little impact as a scorer/creator so it's only in terms of hassling that the others might do worse and I wouldn't see that being the case except perhaps with Ulloa.   

Shinji puts a shift in and gives it his all but he struggles to keep the ball and hasn't scored many yet this season and maybe because we have Jamie on such a great run it has gone under the radar a bit. I prefer Ulloa to partner Jamie. Even in the modern game a big strong bloke up top helps us I think.

Your description of Shinji sounds like one of Vardy last season.

Shinji will get better.

Your description of Shinji sounds like one of Vardy last season.

Shinji will get better.

On what evidence will he get better?

Nearly 30, no real pace, not great in the air, can't go past a man, not very strong and not very creative.

What am I missing that make you think he will get any better, outside work rate what are his qualities to the team?

Nearly 30, no real pace, not great in the air, can't go past a man, not very strong and not very creative.

What am I missing that make you think he will get any better, outside work rate what are his qualities to the team?

Still talking like your commenting on Vardy last year.

Aside from the pace, how much of that was said about Vardy last season?

Obviously I have no magic ball. I just think he will, some players take time to adjust to new leagues. He is only one year older than Vardy,and last season Vardy wasnt exactly any better than Shinji's current showings until April if you forget Man U. I just like him, he was great at Mainz and for Japan.

We'll see.

Aside from the pace, how much of that was said about Vardy last season?

Speed kills though and it's not be underestimated.

Vardy is still a young 28 and only been a pro for four years so still learning his position, he has improved year in year out so even at his lowest ebb he still had potential.

People tell me that Okazaki will come good but I don't see the qualities that he has that enforce their view points.

I've had some condescending posts directed at me over the last couple of months suggesting I don't understand the game if I can't see what an asset Okazaki is to the team. Also a lot of flawed logic that credits Okazaki for other players performances and thats the reason we're so high up the table. I've even highlighted stats and video evidence which just gets swept under the carpet as there is no reasonable explanation to my points.

As I've said many times on this thread that Okazaki is the Emperor's new clothes on here. 

Positioning, tenacity, all-around play, stamina - just to name a few?

Positioning? All round play? Have you anything you can quantify without it being so cliched and vague?

Tenacity and stamina? Isn't this just a sub set of work rate?

Seriously is the best that you can do? I feel your post strengthens my view point and weakens yours.

Speed kills though and it's not be underestimated.

Vardy is still a young 28 and only been a pro for four years so still learning his position, he has improved year in year out so even at his lowest ebb he still had potential.

People tell me that Okazaki will come good but I don't see the qualities that he has that enforce their view points.

I've had some condescending posts directed at me over the last couple of months suggesting I don't understand the game if I can't see what an asset Okazaki is to the team. Also a lot of flawed logic that credits Okazaki for other players performances and thats the reason we're so high up the table. I've even highlighted stats and video evidence which just gets swept under the carpet as there is no reasonable explanation to my points.

As I've said many times on this thread that Okazaki is the Emperor's new clothes on here. 

Okazaki has been with this team for a whopping five months now and is not deployed as a regular player, but used according to the needs of the manager - not really a fair comparison to use Vardy, who struggled himself adapting to a new league and new surroundings at the start of his career at this club. Short memories?

Your argumentation against our bench players is starting to become very repetitious. Because it's all you're arguing about. See the Inler thread for comparative reading.

Archived