Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Pokemon

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I think I need to spend a bit less time exploring and should get stuck into the missions a bit more

Only done 6 missions yet already a 3 star member lol

Haha yeah I'm similar, was on 3 stars before I even got Wyrdeer. In hindsight I'd recommend playing the story at least until that point first, it's not like it's far in lol

One complaint I have is I'd like to see more trainer battles, I've put together a cool team but there doesn't feel like much payoff for doing so when I've only fought something like 4 people with 1 or 2 pokemon on them. 

Managed to sink a couple of hours into it tonight. Quite enjoyable. I think more because it sets a chance at a multiplayer version down the road. This game with people running around all catching pokemon, all challenging to fights etc etc, even throwing in the team v pokemon battles from the sword/shield could be fun.

Not quite sure the storyline is going to carry this game for me, and without PvP fighting it takes away a huge element of the game. Plus every muppet around seems absolutely useless at catching/using pokemon? Wtf is that about?

20 hours in and I managed to completely miss the area down where Snorlax is in Obsidian Fields

First time I go down there... shiny Alpha Snorlax lol

4 of my team are now Alphas, find it quite funny how big they are - Alakazam, Infernape, Garchomp, Luxray

Now at the point in the game where I have all the "ride" pokemon and all the frenzies noble lords defeated, interested to see where the story goes now

Edited by moore_94

Alright I've finished the game, all main and side missions completed I'm just grinding out research points now to get that 10th star.  As a long standing fan of the series I've really enjoyed it.  Running around an open world where you have to actively throw out your pokemon to initiate battles which take place in that open world ticks so many boxes I've had in my head since childhood.  I really enjoy being an actual pokemon researcher, the mechanic of needing to engage each monster multiple times in different ways depending on the species does a great job of encapsulating the childhood dream of actually completing a pokedex. I'm also a big fan of the new stance system, being able to moderate the amount of damage you do depending on whether you want to keep a wild pokemon alive, ensure a killing blow, or just sneak a buff/debuff/heal move in before you attack adds an extra tactical element and it adds to the immersion of being a trainer in the field commanding how your pokemon uses a move, just like how we used to see being done in the anime as kids.  So the overall gameplay experience was a big positive for me.

That said it's far from a perfect game, obviously the graphics have been memed to high hell for being embarrassing.  I will say there are moments where the game looks quite pretty but they're fleeting and rarely more than brief glimpses, it's baffling to me that nobody at Nintendo HQ with all their experience squeezing maximum graphical fidelity out of limited systems has knocked down the doors at Gamefreak and forced a bit of that know how upon them.  Beyond that the storyline in my opinion is once again just meh. I won't go into detail but to sum up my feelings it's a continuation of the downward trend in Pokemon campaign stories since the pinnacle of the Black/White games.  My last big complaint is the lack of much opportunity for trainer combat, the researching and general combat mechanics replicate the imagined experience of being a real life trainer so well that it's almost cruel to then stop short of letting us really take all of that and put it to the test against other trainers.  There are a couple of good battles and there is the training area which eventually becomes available for single battles and unlocks more combatants as you progress the story, but it really feels like a missing element.
All in all I'd say it's a good game, not a great one, but the changes are really positive.  I saw one guy describe it as like playing a proof of concept and I think that's probably the best way to put it.  All the core elements are there, with the right DLC it could easily become the best pokemon title since gen 5.  The most important thing though is it indicates a massive change from a company that had long developed a reputation for stagnant design. If the next game can build on that willingness to improve, fix the clapped out graphics and introduce a compelling story with challenging trainer battles thrown in then we may well have a masterpiece on our hands, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

• Like 4

Main story finished! Have to agree it seemed pretty meh, so much of it just spent mashing A trying to get through cut scenes or dialog with just a couple of battles thrown in

Now time for post game, finishing off all the requests I have left (quite a few), getting to 10 stars and hopefully finishing off the Dex

If they keep the key aspects of this game in future titles then it will help the games out a lot

Even with the story probably the most I have really enjoyed a Pokemon game for quite a while, I liked Lets go and Sword/Shield, but the exploring and catching mechanics made this game a lot more fun

• 3 weeks later...

Pokemon Direct - 27th Feb

Pokemon Go - Alola Pokemon to be added in

Pokemon Master Ex - New Trainers

Pokemon Unite - Duraladon to be added

Pokemon BDSP - Oaks Letter to get Shaymin, available later today

Pokemon Legends Arceus - New update called Daybreak that causes more outbreaks, available later today

Pokemon Legends Arceus - Gift code for some balls - ARCEUSADVENTURE

Pokemon Legends Arceus - Web anime series coming later this year

POKEMON GEN 9 - Pokemon Scarlet and Violet - Out Late 2022

Looks to be based on Spain

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

In the post-game of Arceus, Volo and Giratina can kiss my ass - gotta go level up a bit / switch to an all legendary team lol

What you need is an Umbreon with Snarl and Rest, I haven't lost a single battle throughout that game and a lot of that is down to Umbreon closing out the tougher battles by being borderline invincible against non-stab moves (Ursaluna and Alakazam tore through everything else), you just need to make sure you deal with any fighting or fairy users before relying on it.  So in Volo's case that means being prepared for Lucario and Togekiss, Alakazam w/ Psychic and Thunderbolt for instance, but even if you pick 2 mon specifically for them that still leaves another 3 slots for wildcards where you can go nuts with your favourite beasts safe in the knowledge that you're covered if things go south.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Stadt said:

Are there any good iOS games that are similar to the classic gameboy games? Can’t be arsed with an emulator 

You know it literally takes seconds to get an emulator, download some roms and start playing. I know nothing about emulators and always found on the PC, having to extract files etc it was a real ball ache and i couldnt be bothered to learn how to do it. Yet on mobile ive downloaded the emulator, Then search 'Pokemon Rom Hacks' in google. Click on Download. Then go to the emulator, refresh the page and the download would be there. Click and play.

There are countless pokemon hack games that are miles better than the normal games. Even ones where you can set rules such as difficulty, EV & IV Levels and completely randomised wild pokemon. Level 5 Regigigas right at the start. Yes please lol 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

You know it literally takes seconds to get an emulator, download some roms and start playing. I know nothing about emulators and always found on the PC, having to extract files etc it was a real ball ache and i couldnt be bothered to learn how to do it. Yet on mobile ive downloaded the emulator, Then search 'Pokemon Rom Hacks' in google. Click on Download. Then go to the emulator, refresh the page and the download would be there. Click and play.

There are countless pokemon hack games that are miles better than the normal games. Even ones where you can set rules such as difficulty, EV & IV Levels and completely randomised wild pokemon. Level 5 Regigigas right at the start. Yes please lol 

What emulator do you have?

11 hours ago, Stadt said:

What emulator do you have?

I have a couple. The main one that works for me is called 'My Boy! Lite' Now im on android but on my old Iphone i used the same emulator so it should be there in the app store to download. The other is JoiPlay. But ive only used that for Eternal Order. So stick with My Boy! Lite.

Then in google you can just search for Rom Hacks or type the name of the specific hack you want. May i suggest Pokemon Light Platinum. Its an older rom hack but i always felt it was a well built game and very enjoyable.

Other hack games ive enjoyed

Advanced Adventure

Eternal Order

Pokemon Clover

Pokemon Darkfire

Pokemon Glazed

There are loads more but don't get too many. You wont know which to play first lol.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

I have a couple. The main one that works for me is called 'My Boy! Lite' Now im on android but on my old Iphone i used the same emulator so it should be there in the app store to download. The other is JoiPlay. But ive only used that for Eternal Order. So stick with My Boy! Lite.

Then in google you can just search for Rom Hacks or type the name of the specific hack you want. May i suggest Pokemon Light Platinum. Its an older rom hack but i always felt it was a well built game and very enjoyable.

Other hack games ive enjoyed

Advanced Adventure

Eternal Order

Pokemon Clover

Pokemon Darkfire

Pokemon Glazed

There are loads more but don't get too many. You wont know which to play first lol.

Cheers 

• 5 months later...

I love how easy it is to just walk into a new area and catch an absolute load of pokemon quickly

Still quite early game, most of my team less than level 20 still, walked into a new area and in at most 10 minutes I caught:

Mareep

Starly

Rockruff

Mudbray

Riolu

Meditite

Swablu

Tera Scyther

Phanpy

Rufflet

Flittle

Toxel

Dreepy

On previous games a few of those would easily go straight into my main team

Edited by moore_94

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2022 at 22:43, moore_94 said:

I love how easy it is to just walk into a new area and catch an absolute load of pokemon quickly

Still quite early game, most of my team less than level 20 still, walked into a new area and in at most 10 minutes I caught:

Mareep

Starly

Rockruff

Mudbray

Riolu

Meditite

Swablu

Tera Scyther

Phanpy

Rufflet

Flittle

Toxel