Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DB11

Back to Work Scheme Ruled Unlawful

I remember reading a few people having to work for free to claim job seekers allowance. Had a quick search but no specific thread on it, but the High Court has today rules that the government's 'Back To Work' as illegal. Thoughts?

Simply becuase the state should provide a minimum of essential services, and absolutely should not be in the business of creating jobs for the sake of it.

If the things they are being asked to do need doing , they aren't creating jobs , the jobs are there .

They just don't want to pay minimum wage to have them done .

I'd sooner pay them properly and give them the respect of having the job .

Simply becuase the state should provide a minimum of essential services, and absolutely should not be in the business of creating jobs for the sake of it.

Surely if something that would otherwise not be done gets done and someone gains an income with which they contribute to the economy, that's not "for the sakes of it?"

If the things they are being asked to do need doing , they aren't creating jobs , the jobs are there .

Spot on, all day long.

I agree in that I would rather government cut employment costs (NI) to enable the likes of Poundland to create more job opportunities for unskilled and unemployed workers. What you cannot do is subsidise jobs directly to get people off long term unemployment, which is what these schemes are aimed at. I see no harm in creating opportunities for work experience for those who have none. I particularly like the bit in the BBC article where Clare says the retail experience didn't help her get a job, followed by saying she now works part time in a supermarket. Perhaps she would not have got that job without the 2 weeks retail experience.

The main bone of contention here is the fact that they were being forced into work and threatened with losing their benefits if they didn't, I don't see any issue with people on benefits being required to give something back to society, but when, in this case, she was volunteering at a museum and had to give that up to work in Poundland I understand her issue, if she was just sitting at home picking her arse collecting the money, then fair enough.

Likewise for him, working 30 hours a week for 6 months unpaid, and receiving a pittance on JSA for the privilege is wrong.

As I said in a similar thread any forced work should be proportional to the amount they receive, so JSA is £70 a week, I think, so at most they could be forced to work 10 hours a week, and any time over that should be paid at minimum wage, my other issue with this scheme is that was ripe for exploitation by big businesses.

A good idea that has been clearly used the wrong way and on the wrong people.

What a cock up, another victory to the Lambys of this World.

Yep. Somehow there are always idiots at the end of every process ****ing it up.

I think it was the idiots at the start of this process that fvcked this one up.

A decent idea, but the execution of the idea was so ham fisted and poorly thought out that it was always going to end up a massive failure, much like most of what this Con-Dem abomination of a government have tried to do.

I think it was the idiots at the start of this process that fvcked this one up.

A decent idea, but the execution of the idea was so ham fisted and poorly thought out that it was always going to end up a massive failure, much like most of what this Con-Dem abomination of a government have tried to do.

Its funny, i would consider most of it common sense, but the civil service manage to turn everything into cluster****.

Its funny, i would consider most of it common sense, but the civil service manage to turn everything into cluster****.

Don't know whether it is the fault of the civil service or the ministers, but I do honestly think this idea would have been executed much better under Tony Blair's government, they left so many gaps and so much open to exploitation, that it was very quickly turned into enforced slavery for big businesses, they very quickly tried to stop that, but it just showed the complete lack of thought or planning that had been put into this scheme.

Don't know whether it is the fault of the civil service or the ministers, but I do honestly think this idea would have been executed much better under Tony Blair's government, they left so many gaps and so much open to exploitation, that it was very quickly turned into enforced slavery for big businesses, they very quickly tried to stop that, but it just showed the complete lack of thought or planning that had been put into this scheme.

Blair's government were quite effective by the end, but in the first term they were pretty useless. This is rather the problem with a bunch of MPs who have never run anything being in charge. Also the nature of a coalition makes things harder.

Exactly. No one should be expected to work for free

Lamby will be delighted!

I ****ing am.

"All of those who have been stripped of their benefits have a right to claim the money back that has been unlawfully taken away from them."

Hopefully I can claim it all back them

Guest BlueBrett

The things they were getting people to do weren't essential it was stuff along the lines of working in charity shops etc. Work for work's sake.

I was dead against the idea for this reason and because, as you suggest, it isn't right to expect people to work for less than minimum wage. Standard of living on the current minimum is bad enough.

I think the work placements are a great idea but forcing her to stop volunteering at a museum was wrong.

I ****ing am.

"All of those who have been stripped of their benefits have a right to claim the money back that has been unlawfully taken away from them."

Hopefully I can claim it all back them

The Government have said that's not going to happen.

I also liked the bit of the Government statement which basically said, "We lost the case, these placements are illegal. Nevermind, we'll just rewrite the law so that they are legal...whatevs."

Archived