Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DB11

Back to Work Scheme Ruled Unlawful

Good, pleased for that woman. I had 13 weeks worth of JSA suspended, luckily I my new job's start-date was just a few of weeks later, so I only really lost out on 2 or 3 weeks money. If I can claim it back though, I will .

(Can you, if you have a job now?)

They were horrendous and patronising beyond belief. I didn't partake in the "back to work" scheme because I was given a trial for a sports coaching company and because of that, I was punished for actually trying to get a job because it obviously wasn't on their official list. At the time I was told that's fine, because I was in with a chance of work. However, a couple of months down the line, some jobsworth thought he'd save a few quid by sending me a letter saying I was not "actively seeking work", when really I was doing my best to get a place at that sports coaching company. I'm glad this case has shown the bastards up a little bit, because a lot of people are far too quick to blame the unemployed.

What are your qualifications like Lamby?

Do you have a host of qualifications that make you believe shop work, manual labour or a trade are beneath you?

What actually is your skill set?

These are genuine questions. I'm trying to get to the bottom of what job you actually want to get seeing as nothing the Job Centre suggests is good enough.

They just try to get you off their books, they said I had to apply for a job that was working 55 hours a week in a car mechanic garage, not my cup of tea.

It has to be a specific job that I want and not just any old crap they give me.

Training to be a car mechanic sounds OK for someone of your age. In a few years time you'd be able to set up on your own or do jobs on the side for extra cash and maybe even choosing the days that you worked.

Wish I was your age and in your position.

You'd do well to listen to Ken, Lamby. You're a young lad and you're being offered the chance to learn a trade. Look at the bigger picture. So for a few years you might not be able to go to Charlton matches every Saturday, but in few years you will, and you'll be able to buy your own season ticket and pay for your own travel. When I was your age and working full time, I couldn't afford to go to Leicester games home, let alone away, yet you seem to see it as a right, paid for by the tax payer. Do you want to end up in your mid to late 20's having never worked a day in your life trying to get a job because you're Mum and Dad are fed up with you living at home, but nobody will touch you because you haven't worked a at all for a decade? Sure we all love football, but if it's stopping you becoming something, is it worth it? Are you planning to live like this for the next 40 years, because it ain't going to happen.

What are your qualifications like Lamby?

Do you have a host of qualifications that make you believe shop work, manual labour or a trade are beneath you?

What actually is your skill set?

These are genuine questions. I'm trying to get to the bottom of what job you actually want to get seeing as nothing the Job Centre suggests is good enough.

D in A2 Level ICT

12 GCSE's all C's and above.

I've had a computer since I was 6 or so, so I do know what I'm doing. Had voluntary job doing office admin and did a whole database (in 3 hours) of Primary and Secondary Schools in the Borough of Southwark including contact details, address and email address. So I'm kinda trained towards the whoie computer/office side of working.

They just try to get you off their books, they said I had to apply for a job that was working 55 hours a week in a car mechanic garage, not my cup of tea.

Lamby.

Just Fvck off.

This wumming is tiresome and if it's not wumming, you're a ****ing joke.

Good, pleased for that woman. I had 13 weeks worth of JSA suspended, luckily I my new job's start-date was just a few of weeks later, so I only really lost out on 2 or 3 weeks money. If I can claim it back though, I will .

(Can you, if you have a job now?)

If it was less than 18 months ago, yes

They just want people off the books to make the figures look better. If they didn't suspend some people the ones behind the counters at the centres would be asked why not so they pick on those that are new to the game. The newly redundant who may have been at the same place for years. They will not realise that you have to put almost anything on your jobsearch card no matter how ridiculous it may look.

I do not see hoards of workers giving up jobs to rush to sign on for JSA. The amount the unemployed receive is the minimum that is laid down by law that an individual should be able to survive. It does not take into account electric, heating telephone or other household items that are a weekly necessity. For mothers with young children it does not count child care, nappies baby food.

I have managed to adjust but for many who are used to having a reasonable standard of living before redundancy late in life it is difficult to adjust. Their marriage could suffer. They fall behind with the mortgage. They cannot afford to run a car or go on holiday.

There are always two sides to a story. Maybe even three. The third being a balanced viewpoint..

I'm not sure if Lamby realises how serious his situation is. The longer without a job the harder it is to get one. If he lived on his own he would struggle to feed himself and heat whatever place he was living in. Employers and recruiters will ask why he has not even taken on part time work, why he has not accepted offersm whether he is reliable or serious about working for them.

I don't know what the future holds for me but I have accepted that it will be difficult to gain full employment and am prepared for it but Lamby seems to think his ideal dream job will miraculously fall into his lap.

Sorry Lamby life is not like that. Sometimes you have to move your lap or your arse towards the not so ideal job and then work your way up. It may take some time and sometimes the not so ideal job may turn out to be ideal. But you will never know unless you try.

I just don't want to be lumped into the same pigeon hole as the Lamby's of this world. Sorry Lamby you don't help when the predicament of the unemployed is being defended.

It has taken me 45 years to find the job I want to do. I hope you find your dream job a little quicker.

D in A2 Level ICT

12 GCSE's all C's and above.

I've had a computer since I was 6 or so, so I do know what I'm doing. Had voluntary job doing office admin and did a whole database (in 3 hours) of Primary and Secondary Schools in the Borough of Southwark including contact details, address and email address. So I'm kinda trained towards the whoie computer/office side of working.

The D in IT at A Level probably won't get you too far I'm afraid, a potential employer would be more interested in your 12 A*-C grades at GCSE though.

I really don't know why you don't chase up the suggestion of stewarding at The Valley. You'd get to watch the football while being paid and could pick up some qualifications through the club's own training in things like First Aid, customer service training and an NVQ in Spectator Safety.

It'd be difficult to make this a full-time job, even more so a career, but it'd be a job to put on your CV and skills to add to your repertoire. You'd also get a CRB check if I'm not mistaken.

Having been on a football stewards' website, I can see that you'd pick up the following qualifications while stewarding at The Valley.

NVQ Level 2 or 3 Spectator Safety/Crowd Management

NVQ Level 2 Customer Service

Communication & Conflict Management

First Aid (Basic and First Aid at Work)

BTEC Level 2 Physical Intervention/Restraint

NVQ Level 2 Health and Safety

NVQ Level 3 Supervisory Skills

Defibulator & CPR Training coming in 2013

Basically, get off your arse and contact the club about vacancies. If I remember rightly, a guy in the other thread knew the person in charge of stewarding at Charlton and you didn't seem all that into it. If you still aren't into it after seeing all of these benefits, I don't know what else to say.

I think the work placements are a great idea but forcing her to stop volunteering at a museum was wrong.

The Government have said that's not going to happen.

I also liked the bit of the Government statement which basically said, "We lost the case, these placements are illegal. Nevermind, we'll just rewrite the law so that they are legal...whatevs."

Iain Duncan-Smith is everyone's favourite Victorian megalomaniac moralist, in other words he's a ****.

Labour really need to start worrying less about their careers and start resisting and stand up for their class as the Tories are doing for theirs. They'll be finished otherwise.

No, but are you saying that you'd work for nothing for 60 hours 'training' on how to use a till?! My training at the Co-op for a till was about 20 minutes! 60 hours just strikes me as trying to get free labour for as long as possible.

If I was unemployed and doing nothing with my time I would, 60 hours is only 2 weeks full time, and I have every confidence in my ability that I would get a permanent job.

If, like in the case of the woman who appealed, or Scouse fox, I was doing something worthwhile with my time, such as college or voluntary work I would say no.

Do you get free clothes and your travel to work paid for then? Nice one, I wish I did. I would be a couple of grand a year better off net, that would be worth a £5k pay rise.

I get my travel to work paid for, but then I am self employed and highly desirable, so them bitches gotta pay to get me onsite.

As for clothes, if I had to buy specific clothes for work I would do, but I don't I wear shirt and trousers.

I believe that to qualify for JSA you have to APPLY for jobs, so you could have applied to the garage knowing you wouldn't get it or would turn it down or not show up...

But you would have applied.

Or is that too strenuous. I'm sure you could manage your visits to the Walker's around writing applications.

Assuming you have a CV you don't even need to re-write applications in any great detail.

Im not sure why a garage would have a 55 hour week, seems way over the top, but all employment is temporary. could open a few doors here and there to something more appealing in the long term

Lamby you really are coming across as a crumpet in this thread.

If he isn't a WUM, he isn't half doing the unemployed in Britain a disservice. Lazy, bad attitude, content to stay on benefits and spend them on things many employed people cannot afford and have to file under 'luxuries.'

If he isn't a WUM, he isn't half doing the unemployed in Britain a disservice. Lazy, bad attitude, content to stay on benefits and spend them on things many employed people cannot afford and have to file under 'luxuries.'

Why not? He's getting away with it.

I'm glad we get the first hand account, had this appeared in the Daily Mail we would have a gaggle of folk telling all and sundry people like him don't really exist and the paper is just demonising benefit claimants by making things up.

Archived