Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Vardy's strike partner

I would like and think that Nugent and Vardy will start the first game. They're a great partnership.

i'd like this too but can't see it. nuge/vardy with nuge a little behind and vardy running his legs off getting round the back every time we attack is what won us the league last year, ulloa is hopefully a sensational plan b who may well come on when plan a isn't working and earn the right to start, but for now i'd say nuge & vardy. 

of course it's all guess work because we don't see what's going on in training. ulloa might be head shoulders knees and toes above everyone else in training in which case he'll deserve a start. all just waiting and seeing atm. 

For the last two seasons I recall Nige starting Nugent on the bench. He came on last season at 'Boro (Vardy/Wood started) and his movement caused them a problem, and the season before we played at home to Peterborough and I'm sure Vardy/Beckford started.

It's a loaded question. Personally I think we'll probably play with only 1 man upfront for around half our away games anyway, and if we do then it'll be Ulloa on his own. In fact, I'm presuming that's why we've signed him, since both Nugent and Vardy lack aerial threat.

At home or against the poorer sides, I hope we play with 2 upfront. In that system, I agree that Vardy is the no.1 choice and the strike partnership should be built around him.

I can see an argument for including Nugent in that system, but are we really going to put Ulloa on the bench having forked out £7m+ for him? Remains to be seen.

Then after them, you've got Wood as 4th choice. Then GTF, who I doubt is going to feature much. In fact, I still can't see why we renewed his contract, other than for the purposes of keeping 'the group' together. Maybe he's a good influence on the training ground, I dunno...

Whatever happens, this surely proves that we do not need Troy Deeney. Vardy, Ulloa, Nugent, GTF and Wood all looked lively. We really don't need anyone else. As for who starts, I think it will be Vardy and Nugent but Ulloa will break into the team after a month or so.

a lot of people are writing off gtf but i can see why nigel has kept him on yes the guy is a big unit but he has a very good footballing brain and has decent vision and passing .

he could easily play just behind 2 strikers in a cam role or even a cf in a front 3 ala fifa style lol 

Whatever happens, this surely proves that we do not need Troy Deeney. Vardy, Ulloa, Nugent, GTF and Wood all looked lively. We really don't need anyone else. As for who starts, I think it will be Vardy and Nugent but Ulloa will break into the team after a month or so.

I don't know about Deeney but we should always be looking at getting better players than those we have, unless we have the best players in the league  :D .

I don't see Wood or GTF good enough to play in the prem at the moment.

a lot of people are writing off gtf but i can see why nigel has kept him on yes the guy is a big unit but he has a very good footballing brain and has decent vision and passing .

he could easily play just behind 2 strikers in a cam role or even a cf in a front 3 ala fifa style lol

We can all see that he has a footballing brain but he doesn't have a footballing body and he doesn't have the workrate that our style and the prem require. He cannot chase the ball and close down players for 70+ minutes in a game. for that reason I hope we don't see him play a prem game. Having said that he could be alright off the bench if we're up by 2 or 3 (and that's going to happen so much in the prem) replacing a worn out striker.

I don't know about Deeney but we should always be looking at getting better players than those we have, unless we have the best players in the league  :D .

I don't see Wood or GTF good enough to play in the prem at the moment.

GTF and Wood are unlikely to start many (if any) games but as back-up, they're more than adequate.

As a 4th choice striker, Chris Wood is more than capable.

It's a bit different with GTF because of his versatilty. Utility players will always get games.

I don't know what formation we played today.. But I know that Pearson won't be using cards as an alone striker. So if its a 442, then it's Ulloa and Vardy. If its 4231, then we may see Vardy playing defensively behind Ulloa, but making dem runs as a 4411 like he did last year with Nuge. I firmly believe Vardy is good enough to be a starter for us in the prem, and I think he can adapt to play LW / RW too.

In the end, I think we will play a very traditional 451 in defence and 442 / 4411 in attack. We have to play to our strengths. And Vardy was our biggest attacking and threatening strength in our promotion season. If Vardy is benched rather than starting, then we're basically playing negatively.

I'd also like to congratulate Pearson and his team for giving us something to discuss and think about (formations and the line up) as we have many options and possibilities beyond our somewhat predictable line up last season. If we can't work out our best and most likely line up, then how the **** are the 19 other Prem teams who mostly have predictable 11 man line ups. Pearson has a lot to think about.

Vardy played out on the left for a bit today when he came on with him and GTF rotating, reckon Pearson will fancy him out there if we're playing one up front (Ulloa) and if it's two up front I think it'll be Vardy and Ulloa (depending on how he settles).  Will no doubt change all of the time depending on performances and the opposition though, we've seen that Pearson's happy to change tactics if it doesn't seem to be working but will stick with the players that are performing best.  4-4-2 with James and Drinkwater sitting deep looked solid last season and they're likely to be close enough to the centre backs this season that we won't definitely need a 'tough tackling defensive midfielder'.

What a pointless thread, yes Nigel is going to spend £10 million on Ulloa to sit on the bench :rolleyes:

So because he's our most expensive signing he has to play regardless of his performances....

You clearly don't remember the Akinbiyi days.

Like last season players will be played on merit, not on their price tag or being a fans favourite.

James had to sit out for games last season, same with King, Moore and Konchesky.

So this thread is far from pointless really.....

What a pointless thread, yes Nigel is going to spend £10 million on Ulloa to sit on the bench :rolleyes:

Let's hope that's not LCFC thinking.

We'd still have Mills as a CB if it were.

We kept GTF for his attitude, its clearly in the right place.

On one of the recent foxes player interviews he stated one of his skills is that he can be used in 3 positions, usually players don't like not been in their primary position but this guy is actively stating he is willing to do it. So good footballing brain, good positional sense and good attitude. Also I dont recall any injury problems with him either.

We kept GTF for his attitude, its clearly in the right place.On one of the recent foxes player interviews he stated one of his skills is that he can be used in 3 positions, usually players don't like not been in their primary position but this guy is actively stating he is willing to do it. So good footballing brain, good positional sense and good attitude. Also I dont recall any injury problems with him either.

Pathetic.

I'd play 11 different positions for leicester and for nothing. I'd have the best attitude in the world. That cannot be a reason against such big short falls in ability. Pointless slot in the squad.

Short falls in his ability? Besides a lack of speed, I'm struggling to think of many. GTF is a very good footballer with an outstanding touch and great holding ability, just so happens he looks more like a fan. Can't see him starting this season but he'll definitely have a role to play.

His pace is undoubtedly a joy to behold... and last night i noticed (from stream) his runs werent just fast, but creative, diagonal and well timed, if KP has had an input thats brilliant, now if he can get the ball to stick to Vardys boot a little more   :thumbup:

Short falls in his ability? Besides a lack of speed, I'm struggling to think of many. GTF is a very good footballer with an outstanding touch and great holding ability, just so happens he looks more like a fan. Can't see him starting this season but he'll definitely have a role to play.

Behave. His touch isn't outstanding. Demonstration of an outstanding touch would be knockaert and riyad who seem to be able to bring down any pass.

He is overweight, slow but with average technical ability for a championship player. It's a myth that he has good reading of the game. Most of the time thats just an excuse for those that cannot keep up with it.

Behave. His touch isn't outstanding. Demonstration of an outstanding touch would be knockaert and riyad who seem to be able to bring down any pass.

He is overweight, slow but with average technical ability for a championship player. It's a myth that he has good reading of the game. Most of the time thats just an excuse for those that cannot keep up with it.

It's become apparent that you are clueless about football.

Archived