Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Next Leader of the Opposition

154 members have voted

1. 1. Labour Party (v2)

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall

Its sad (if true) that he feels that it would matter and sadder still that he's probably right.

thanks.

Whether or not there's any truth in the rumours, Umunna would have to be extraordinarily naive not to realise the sort of intrusive attention he and his family were bound to get from the media.

Can't say that any of the candidates look particularly strong yet, though I've not seen much of Mary Creagh. Anyone have any informed views about her?

Did anyone see Tristram Hunt on Question Time last night? If so, how did he come across? I started watching it, but had been in the boozer and dozed off on the settee. :whistle:

Again, I've not seen enough of him to judge, but was quite impressed when I saw an interview with him the other day.

Burnham seems like a genuinely decent bloke and a good person to have in the front line, but I'm not sure he's PM material - and would definitely appeal more to the converted (Northern Labour voters) than to Southern Tory swing voters.

I could imagine him winning an election in 2020 if the Tories had massively fvcked up and were hugely unpopular, but probably not if it's another tight election. 

Whether or not there's any truth in the rumours, Umunna would have to be extraordinarily naive not to realise the sort of intrusive attention he and his family were bound to get from the media.

Can't say that any of the candidates look particularly strong yet, though I've not seen much of Mary Creagh. Anyone have any informed views about her?

Did anyone see Tristram Hunt on Question Time last night? If so, how did he come across? I started watching it, but had been in the boozer and dozed off on the settee. :whistle:

Again, I've not seen enough of him to judge, but was quite impressed when I saw an interview with him the other day.

Burnham seems like a genuinely decent bloke and a good person to have in the front line, but I'm not sure he's PM material - and would definitely appeal more to the converted (Northern Labour voters) than to Southern Tory swing voters.

I could imagine him winning an election in 2020 if the Tories had massively fvcked up and were hugely unpopular, but probably not if it's another tight election. 

I always find Tristram very polished and to be honest, if you stereotyped on personality and first impressions, most people would probably assume he's a nailed on Tory.  Hopefully the unions and working class voters will see through this.  With Chuka and Jarvis pulling out, I really hope he makes a push for it otherwise I'll be quickly turned off Labour for another five years.

It's interesting to look at what sort of marginal seats Labour won off the Tories or against expectations at the election, and what sort they didn't:

Marginal seats they won:

- Various London seats

- Hove, Lancaster, Chester, Cambridge (quite nice, affluent towns)

- Dewsbury, Wolverhampton SW (large ethnic minority electorate)

Marginal seats they lost:

- North Warks, Nuneaton, Thurrock, Stockton S, Amber Valley, Southampton Itchen, 2 Plymouth seats

(mainly white, not particularly affluent towns nationwide)

Part of this may be UKIP winning over "Labour voters" as much as "Tory voters". Part may also be struggling, insecure, mainly white voters being more fearful of a Miliband government than another Tory government.

There could be some big lessons there re. which leader Labour should choose, but also which strategy they should deploy over the next 5 years....and the strategy needs to be in place early and be consistent. That's another thing that went wrong for Labour 2010-15: they ran a decent campaign, but hadn't won people over enough during the previous 4 years. 

It's interesting to look at what sort of marginal seats Labour won off the Tories or against expectations at the election, and what sort they didn't:

Marginal seats they won:

- Various London seats

- Hove, Lancaster, Chester, Cambridge (quite nice, affluent towns)

- Dewsbury, Wolverhampton SW (large ethnic minority electorate)

Marginal seats they lost:

- North Warks, Nuneaton, Thurrock, Stockton S, Amber Valley, Southampton Itchen, 2 Plymouth seats

(mainly white, not particularly affluent towns nationwide)

Part of this may be UKIP winning over "Labour voters" as much as "Tory voters". Part may also be struggling, insecure, mainly white voters being more fearful of a Miliband government than another Tory government.

There could be some big lessons there re. which leader Labour should choose, but also which strategy they should deploy over the next 5 years....and the strategy needs to be in place early and be consistent. That's another thing that went wrong for Labour 2010-15: they ran a decent campaign, but hadn't won people over enough during the previous 4 years. 

If anything that also shows the effect the media had on the election, particularly The Sun and Daily Mail, they were driven to vote Tory out of fear, which is sad in many ways.

For Labour the biggest issue is finding someone who actually looks like they represent working people, Tristram Hunt seems fairly intelligent and seemingly has the right intentions, but he will struggle to win working class votes more so than the likes of Andy Burnham, however, Tristram Hunt would probably be more popular with the middle class vote.

Labour need to decide what they stand for and then choose a leader who exemplifies it and then make sure the population know what they stand for.

I disagree with some of you who think they need to find out what certain of the electorate want and then become that. It's a false premise, most of the population have only an overall idea of what they want and they don't know what they CAN have.

Define principles and then preach them and live them. Stand and fight on those priniciples - if you win, you can deliver, if you lose, no shame - it obviously isn't what the majority wanted.

If the parties took their unique stances and made them clear, the country would get what it wants unlike the present where the goal seems to be to chase the most votes instead of lead the voters to what you think is best for them.

Truth is MPs are thinking about their own jobs and not the people's jobs. 

Labour need to decide what they stand for and then choose a leader who exemplifies it and then make sure the population know what they stand for.

I disagree with some of you who think they need to find out what certain of the electorate want and then become that. It's a false premise, most of the population have only an overall idea of what they want and they don't know what they CAN have.

Define principles and then preach them and live them. Stand and fight on those priniciples - if you win, you can deliver, if you lose, no shame - it obviously isn't what the majority wanted.

If the parties took their unique stances and made them clear, the country would get what it wants unlike the present where the goal seems to be to chase the most votes instead of lead the voters to what you think is best for them.

Truth is MPs are thinking about their own jobs and not the people's jobs. 

Christ you actually made sense there!

Guest MattP

A bit surprising to see Chukkas Urmoney stand down, would think something is about to happen with one of the rags for such a climbdown in a short space of time.

That said, it takes a google search of less than twenty seconds to reveal that he's a spivvy millionaire, related to a family of titled aristocrats, who refers to the poor as 'trash' on social media in his own circle. Someone probably had a word and told him he wasn't wanted.

The list really does look a poor one, not one person who would scare the Tories.

Guest MattP

Sounds like your sort of politician, Matt!

He would make a good Tory would ol' Chukka - I don't actually know what he's doing in the Labour party really.

Archived