Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vossen

Season tickets sold out

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a little bit,

Without trying to sound pessimistic we are one bad season off playing Rotherham in front of 23,000 again. Lets stabilise in PL first and see where we are with regards to tickets.

However also everything is still new and exciting for a lot of fans but if we do become established again in PL it'll go the other way and people may get bored with mid-table obscurity.

I have no doubt on a good day we can sell out 40,000-45,000 but then again so can Aston Villa/Man City who have the space but how many times does it happen? It ruins the atmosphere at there grounds having 10-7k spare seats at most games

That will always be the case unless you can see us one day making the Champions League

Exactly my point, I don't think we should expand for the two reasons I listed

But your point means never expand, is that what you intended?

Exactly my point, I don't think we should expand for the two reasons I listed

Although your two points may well be correct. I suspect the owners will extend to some extent because the time line for doing it means they have to start the process on the basis of forecasts. If you were looking at the need for expansion now you'd probably think there's pretty good evidence that the KP would support extension. On the back of that it would take you at least until late 2016 to get all the approvals, contracts, pre-fabrication work, and logistical planning done, and even then it's probably an optomistic start date. It's a similar type project to airport terminal building planning. Sometimes it turns out you really needed it, sometimes it's a white elephant.    

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit here, just because we have stayed up, doesn't mean we should suddenly expand. We should focus more on investing in the team and actually inside the ground before we upgrade. We ranked 13th this season in terms of stadium capacities in the BPL, so in terms of that we are fine. 

I'd rather see more investment inside the ground than added seats. How many times this season have people who really really want a ticket struggled to get one? Lets focus on becoming an established premier league side, before we try and fill the seats with tourist fans.

But your point means never expand, is that what you intended?

Yes (or least in the foreseeable future),

We have a 32,000 seater stadium which generates a great atmosphere when full. People who really wanted tickets last season could get them quite easily and that's in our first season in PL in 10 years, when demand is at it's highest,

It's not as if it's Dean Court,

Lets not forget we were an established top half PL team with 2 Major Trophies in 3 years when we planned the King Power and 32,000 was deemed big enough. We have one season back in the PL out of ten and some people think our ground is too small,

I just think we're getting carried away a bit

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit here, just because we have stayed up, doesn't mean we should suddenly expand. We should focus more on investing in the team and actually inside the ground before we upgrade. We ranked 13th this season in terms of stadium capacities in the BPL, so in terms of that we are fine. 

I'd rather see more investment inside the ground than added seats. How many times this season have people who really really want a ticket struggled to get one? Lets focus on becoming an established premier league side, before we try and fill the seats with tourist fans.

My point though is that the owners DO have to get ahead of themselves. I'm not personally saying we should do it now, just putting myself in their position regarding when you need to start the ball rolling. We, as fans, tend to let our heart, and previous experience of supporting Leicester City rule our decision making. The Thais are serious business people. Their number one requirement will be how to get the most out of their investment and, almost certainly, they'll think that standing still is not an option. There's a very old saying in business...'Speculate to accumulate'.

My point though is that the owners DO have to get ahead of themselves. I'm not personally saying we should do it now, just putting myself in their position regarding when you need to start the ball rolling. We, as fans, tend to let our heart, and previous experience of supporting Leicester City rule our decision making. The Thais are serious business people. Their number one requirement will be how to get the most out of their investment and, almost certainly, they'll think that standing still is not an option. There's a very old saying in business...'Speculate to accumulate'.

The best way to get the most out of their business is to stay in the Premier league and benefit from the TV money and increased brand exposure for King Power.

The best way to get the most out of their business is to stay in the Premier league and benefit from the TV money and increased brand exposure for King Power.

Couldn't agree more. But if the evidence is that they have a growing demand for tickets, and, let's face it, only they know the real numbers, it's another source of revenue I'd have thought they'd be seriously considering.

Of course, but there will more than likely already be approved planning permission to expand. They just have to chose the right time.

As a non season ticket holder and a fan of a miniscule 3 years (I never used to like football) I can tell you an extra 5k wouldn't go a miss, I tried to get tickets to games that actually meant quite a lot e.g. those last 7, most of which were impossible because the tickets were gone so quickly. Nevermind though I got to see palace put a header past us

We have a 32,000 seater stadium which generates a great atmosphere when full. People who really wanted tickets last season could get them quite easily and that's in our first season in PL in 10 years, when demand is at it's highest,

Lets not forget we were an established top half PL team with 2 Major Trophies in 3 years when we planned the King Power and 32,000 was deemed big enough. We have one season back in the PL out of ten and some people think our ground is too small,

Like most clubs in the country, we have more fans now than we did in late 90s. Football is a much bigger game compared to 15 years ago and the demographic of people that attend is now more diverse.

Everton, Chelsea, Man City, West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool etc...are all looking to expand their grounds because the stadiums they filled or didn't fill in the 90s are no longer big enough.

It's becoming more popular as a spectacle and their is a good argument we will need a bigger ground in the not so distant future if we maintain our Premier League status.

I don't disagree with you in Principe it was just your statement regarding waiting until we are being established before considering it as I don't believe we can ever consider our selves an established PL.

There needs to be a more compelling business need for expanding like increased conference rooms etc. I doubt the owners will be concerned about having some empty seats, atmosphere wise if there is a real business case away from football.

I don't disagree with you in Principe it was just your statement regarding waiting until we are being established before considering it as I don't believe we can ever consider our selves an established PL.

There needs to be a more compelling business need for expanding like increased conference rooms etc. I doubt the owners will be concerned about having some empty seats, atmosphere wise if there is a real business case away from football.

Spot on for me. Primarily we think with the heart and past experience. The owners will, (I believe), consider the business case and financial benefit above other considerations.

I hear what you're saying because even in 5 years of PL football a shit season can come out of nowhere and bite you on the arse (see Bolton/Blackburn)

However we've had ONE season in the PL and only TWO seasons where ST tickets have sold out. In 4 or 5 years I suspect it might not be an issue due to fairweather fans getting bored. (I'm a very cynical person :) )

If I'm wrong and we're still selling out season ticket in a few years time, it's definitely time for a review. I agree with your Business facilities part though and in general the stadium might need to facelift but I think currently our capacity is perfect for where we are

Couldn't agree more. But if the evidence is that they have a growing demand for tickets, and, let's face it, only they know the real numbers, it's another source of revenue I'd have thought they'd be seriously considering.

There'll be no expansion for the forseeable.

This off season is the Rugby World cup, that means a minimum 1 year wait. The clubs cited as examples of teams wishing to expand are (with the exception of West Ham who have conned their way to a free ground) well established  Premier league teams with worldwide appeal. As a business plan I'd assume we'd need to see a prolonged period of demand outstripping supply before they build more, even then I'd guess they'd look at price increases before increasing capacity.

That will always be the case unless you can see us one day making the Champions League

While technically that's true - we will hopefully become established enough so we don't have to keep looking over our shoulders every season. Clubs like Swansea, Stoke and even Southampton are pretty similar in size to us with similar finances and don't look like they will be anywhere near relegation for the coming seasons. There's no reason we can't be like them if we keep moving in the right direction. 

Like most clubs in the country, we have more fans now than we did in late 90s. Football is a much bigger game compared to 15 years ago and the demographic of people that attend is now more diverse.

Everton, Chelsea, Man City, West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool etc...are all looking to expand their grounds because the stadiums they filled or didn't fill in the 90s are no longer big enough.

It's becoming more popular as a spectacle and their is a good argument we will need a bigger ground in the not so distant future if we maintain our Premier League status.

Perhaps that is true, I don't know,

However as much as I love this club we cannot put ourselves in the same bracket as most of those clubs you've listed.

The City and Everton expansions are embarrassing as they do not sell out currently.

West Ham are going to regret moving to the Olympic Stadium when they've got a half empty stadium.

Liverpool are arguably the biggest supported club in the country (or a close 2nd to United and have a ground 30,000 seats smaller!). Anfield should have been expanded 20 years ago but like everything at that club they're stuck in the past. They could sell out 70,000 easily.

Did you know Liverpool have over a 15 years waiting list for season tickets and they're only expanding now??

All the Chelsea 'fans' who started supporting them when Abromovich took over are now coming of age and able to go to games. Besides they have unlimited supplies like City, so it's not as a ground improvements its going to come at the detriment of funds supporting our playing squad. We do not have that luxury

There'll be no expansion for the forseeable.

This off season is the Rugby World cup, that means a minimum 1 year wait. The clubs cited as examples of teams wishing to expand are (with the exception of West Ham who have conned their way to a free ground) well established  Premier league teams with worldwide appeal. As a business plan I'd assume we'd need to see a prolonged period of demand outstripping supply before they build more, even then I'd guess they'd look at price increases before increasing capacity.

Inside information there Mike?

While technically that's true - we will hopefully become established enough so we don't have to keep looking over our shoulders every season. Clubs like Swansea, Stoke and even Southampton are pretty similar in size to us with similar finances and don't look like they will be anywhere near relegation for the coming seasons. There's no reason we can't be like them if we keep moving in the right direction. 

I'm sure the likes of Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn thought the same, one crap season is all it takes.

Does anyone know if we ever actually count or approximate how many calls we turn away, or how many people ring up and try and get tickets to games that have already sold out?  Clearly this wouldn't be an exact science by any means, but is there ever any analysis on e.g. approxmiately 3,000 people called asking about games that we couldn't accommodate?  Or the queues were at maximum levels X times before this particiular match etc?

As I say, I know it could only ever be a very basic guesstimate, but it might be interesting to have some idea of the numbers of both people interested and matches affected.

Inside information there Mike?

Nope. Just common sense. Every club is desperate to stay up and get that next huge TV windfall, the jump in revenue with the new deal is a potential death knell for promoted sides as every year Prem clubs (if managed well off the pitch) could march off into the distance and financially rig the transfer market to ensure promoted clubs are priced out of deals for average players.

West Ham will spend big in the summer, expect to see Newcastle invest heavily too, no one outside the big six will be looking at any form of expansion until at least 2020 (and you can quote me on that).

Nope. Just common sense. Every club is desperate to stay up and get that next huge TV windfall, the jump in revenue with the new deal is a potential death knell for promoted sides as every year Prem clubs (if managed well off the pitch) could march off into the distance and financially rig the transfer market to ensure promoted clubs are priced out of deals for average players.

West Ham will spend big in the summer, expect to see Newcastle invest heavily too, no one outside the big six will be looking at any form of expansion until at least 2020 (and you can quote me on that).

Makes total sense. Agree with everything here

Archived