Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vossen

Season tickets sold out

Chelsea will also be going up to 60k soon and Sunderland hold 48k so it wouldn't.

Everton also require a bigger ground

Plastic Chelsea fans, I remember when they couldn't even sell 3 stands out in the late 90s

A few Stoke fans I know said that their club a couple of seasons ago considered 'filling in' a corner of their ground; however, have delayed this until they are content that they would have full-capacity attendances once established in the PL.

So, it's a case of demand meeting supply if this extension idea is still a possibility.

Leicester may never become an established Premier League team unless they do increase the capacity.

They have to allow more fans to support them.

I agree, Dawko, providing we consolidate our position in the EPL the owners should seriously consider increasing the capacity and in turn season ticket holders but you have to remember consolidation in EPL must come first. We all know how fickle some fans are and had the Club not secured their status attendances would have soon slumped to 20-22K.

It will take time as no-one wants to see a Coventry Ricoh arena with 8K folk rattling around in a 30K plus stadium.

Some people in this thread talking like we're still stuck with a 20k max capacity. 

We've not got the smallest stadium in the league, Stoke, Palace, and West Brom all have smaller, with Southampton only 200 seats bigger. And that's not including Bournemouth (who've a smaller ground than some League 2 sides), Watford or Norwich. 

Lets not run before we can walk, eh?

We couldn't even sell out a 21k seater every week in the late 90s.

Football is just bigger now.

An extra 8000 to an extra 35000 is a bit of a differences, whether football has grown or not, Chelsea have the most plastic fans in history

Does anyone know if we ever actually count or approximate how many calls we turn away, or how many people ring up and try and get tickets to games that have already sold out?  Clearly this wouldn't be an exact science by any means, but is there ever any analysis on e.g. approxmiately 3,000 people called asking about games that we couldn't accommodate?  Or the queues were at maximum levels X times before this particiular match etc?

As I say, I know it could only ever be a very basic guesstimate, but it might be interesting to have some idea of the numbers of both people interested and matches affected.

There is also those that don't even bother trying as they know they have little or no hope of getting tickets.

I park in the KP car park behind the East Stand. Before the Man Utd game I arrived early to meet a mate before going for a beer. Whilst sitting in the car, who should come strolling around the corner but Vichai, Top, Susan Whelan, and a couple of 'suits'. They walked around to the back of the East Stand and spent around 10 minutes, with much pointing at the structure, before heading back around towards the West stand. Further to this, the club are yet to let the current contract holders for Car Parking at the KP whether they can renew for next season as 'they've not decided what they're going to do with it yet'. 2+2=5?

Nothing can happen with it this year due to the rugby, so yes 2+2 does equal 5. If they do anything with the car park it will be some kind of "fan zone", with beer and food being made available outside from the club, rather than the vendors there currently. Fairly sure I heard something mooted along those lines.

One observation that I've noticed over the last ten years is the growing number of Leicester's Asian community attending games.

This has been fantastic and if this continues, we would be adding a significant number to our fanbase.

40k is very realistic.

Great post buddy

I certainly think we could average 34-35000 ish quite comfortably

There's no doubt the potential fanbase for the club is bigger now - partially of course due to Leicester's increasing (and increasingly young) population, but also due to the decline of regional competition for support, particularly with the decline of Coventry. 

In fact, you have to go quite a long way to the south and east to find a similar-sized club.

There's definitely an opportunity here, but I'd say we should establish ourselves first (and spending one season in the top flight is definitely not becoming established).

The pricing structure would  be crucial though.

http://www.soccerstats.com/attendance.asp?league=england

Only 11 clubs with higher attendances.

Not sure how accurate that is as it says Arsenals lowest league attendance was 24K, I can't recall them ever having such a low gate for a league game.

Our capacity is down as 32,500, but hasn't that been reduced since the stadium was built?

Either way 97% max capacity over a season is good going, just the odd away team who haven't sold out that's probably lowered the figure.

I have to agree with this.

Stadia can be too big, unless you're one of the clubs that guarantee filling them.

Scouse is right. If we expanded, then went down at any point, the atmosphere would be utterly rank.

I guess it depends if we did get relegated or not.

Even if we don't, would we fill say a 40k seater every week? I dunno.

it's a chicken n egg dilemma though bud, to make strides forward, surely at some point you need to speculate to accumulate? Maybe look at 38000 initially? Difficult one !

it's a chicken n egg dilemma though bud, to make strides forward, surely at some point you need to speculate to accumulate? Maybe look at 38000 initially? Difficult one !

It is a gamble mate. If it works, you get a 40 thousand, all seater stadium, full every other week. With more noise, theoretically.

If we didn't stay up, you'd get a stadium probably 2/3rds full, with much less noise, theoretically.

Relegation would, given this scenario, result in a crap atmosphere. The ground would be too big to anywhere near fill it.

You can speculate to accumulate and hope you do accumulate. If not, the result will be rubbish.

The atmosphere, for example at Middlesborough is dross and has been for all the time they've been out.

Coventry is perhaps the most extreme example but there are plenty more.

But I get your point,

I've mixed feelings about stadium expansion.......Would be interesting to see how many season tickets we would sell if the number was not capped.

The queues around the stadium and the speed in which they sold out last year gives the impression that many thousands

more could be sold, I'm not certain this is the case though, and we really don't want the extra capacity if playing at Championship level.

What I would welcome though from extra capacity would be the increased availability of tickets for the more occasional supporter, who in time

may become more regular or even season ticket holders.

So arguably in time we may grow into a larger capacity.

We should be looking at the Coventry area for potential new support, if the kids see a Premier League club 25 miles away there's a real temptation to follow the successful side should we become established.

With the entertaining end to the season, the widely-praised atmosphere and, although it's derided, the work with the younger fanbase the club does, let's tap into new areas.

A modest extension? What would you like to add a conservatory?

Why would the club disrupt the stadium in the middle of the season to add 2k to a stand. Go back to sleep.

I think living in Derby is ruining your manners sir. Any kind of extension will disrupt part of a season. My view is we only need to add a relatively small extension.

It's simply a point of view. No need to be hostile.

If there is a greater untapped demand for season tickets, the club are more likely to respond to it by increasing prices than by increasing the capacity. I'd be willing to bet that If we were safe when they announced renewals that the price would have gone up. But they, like us, probably assumed we'd be playing Championship football next season and the demand would be lower.

I agree BTS

We have far too many fans who seem limited in their ambitions for us

We aren't the biggest club in the world but we arent the smallest either, the noise generated with 31000 has been great at key points in the season. Imagine that noise with 34-35 or even 36000 plus

I agree BTS

We have far too many fans who seem limited in their ambitions for us

We aren't the biggest club in the world but we arent the smallest either, the noise generated with 31000 has been great at key points in the season. Imagine that noise with 34-35 or even 36000 plus

But would the extra 4000-5000 want to make noise? Or would they just sit there like a vast majority have done all season bar the last 7 games.

Archived