Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

I think the only reason they might do the two stands is if it was a financial no brainer in terms of building costs / disruption. Besides the two stand thing is only a rumour the only thing we're relative sure of is that only the East stand currently has sufficient footings/foundations to add another tier..

we could always do an MK and only fit so many seats :P

Why not take it one step further davieG and fit each seat as each ticket is sold . . . . . lol

Re the atmosphere and half empty stadiums I just don't believe the atmosphere is as dependent on whether it's filled or not the  overriding reason for a poor atmosphere is down to what is happening on the pitch be that going for a trophy/promotion/qualification or fighting relegation.

There's a reason why the ground might be half empty and it usually correlates with us doing average to crap and that's the main cause of a poor atmosphere.

The other aspect of this is surely those that are still going to these half empty stadiums are in the most the so called hard core fans that presumably are largely responsible for creating that atmosphere. so I would ask where do these all go when the attendance has dropped and the atmosphere is dead? I'll tell you where they're still there but what is happening on the pitch isn't exciting them, isn't giving them the motivation to make a noise,

I dont think it will be a case of just plonking 2 stands on top of what weve already got. I would imagine it to start over the family stand and finish over the kop and get higher in the middle of the east stand in a arch like design. That way the 3 stands would support the 1 extension.

Why not take it one step further davieG and fit each seat as each ticket is sold . . . . . lol

Imagine the Ticket office cock ups you'd get when you turn up and find just a couple of bolt holes in the ground. Still on the plus side you could just stand, standing stadiums by default.

Dear Sports Ground Safety Authority,

Sorry about the 2000 fans standing at our recent match but there was an administration error and we forgot to fit the seats

yours

Sincerely

ANother FC

Re the atmosphere and half empty stadiums I just don't believe the atmosphere is as dependent on whether it's filled or not the overriding reason for a poor atmosphere is down to what is happening on the pitch be that going for a trophy/promotion/qualification or fighting relegation.

There's a reason why the ground might be half empty and it usually correlates with us doing average to crap and that's the main cause of a poor atmosphere.

The other aspect of this is surely those that are still going to these half empty stadiums are in the most the so called hard core fans that presumably are largely responsible for creating that atmosphere. so I would ask where do these all go when the attendance has dropped and the atmosphere is dead? I'll tell you where they're still there but what is happening on the pitch isn't exciting them, isn't giving them the motivation to make a noise,

Good points made there davieG

The main one being that of course what's happens on the pitch is pretty much always going to dictate how loud things are in the stands, even if the ground is half empty

I dont think it will be a case of just plonking 2 stands on top of what weve already got. I would imagine it to start over the family stand and finish over the kop and get higher in the middle of the east stand in a arch like design. That way the 3 stands would support the 1 extension.

I'm sure they could do something like that in 3 stages. it would need to be such that it could be done pretty much during the close season.

Imagine the Ticket office cock ups you'd get when you turn up and find just a couple of bolt holes in the ground. Still on the plus side you could just stand, standing stadiums by default.

Dear Sports Ground Safety Authority,

Sorry about the 2000 fans standing at our recent match but there was an administration error and we forgot to fit the seats

yours

Sincerely

ANother FC

lol very good lol

Well if the photos are genuine that won't be the case it looks very bog standard like the additional tier to Cardiffs stadium unfortunately 

It kind of depends as well on what the ceiling is for season ticket holders. The ticket office will have an idea of how many people applied but couldn't get STs and also membership take ups from those people. If they think there's enough demand to get up to 37 or 42K then why not go for it? We spent years at Filbert Street trying to expand and losing money in lost ticket revenues. We're in a good place now to build on what we've got but I'd definitely do it piece by piece not just add on 10K in one go.

We know we have 23,000 ST holders because that is the cap and we've already sold out.

I went down yesterday and asked the girl behind the desk if I could be put on waiting list. She said there isn't going to be a waiting list.

I bought a Gold membership card of which there are 8,000. At £75 and all it really buys you is priority when the tickets go on general sale I would imagine most Gold members will go most matches.

So that's 31,000 trying to fill 30,000 home fan spaces and not including silver and bronze members and the casual fan. 40,000 is easily achievable when you consider there are plenty of ST holders who want to bring friends and family to games now but can't get additional tickets.

Another 10,000 seats isn't even debatable it's an absolute must.

We know we have 23,000 ST holders because that is the cap and we've already sold out.

I went down yesterday and asked the girl behind the desk if I could be put on waiting list. She said they aren't going to have a waiting list.

I bought a Gold membership card of which there are 8,000. At £75 and all it really buys you is priority when the tickets go on general sale I would imagine most Gold members will go most matches.

So that's 31,000 trying to fill 30,000 home fan spaces and not including silver and bronze members and the casual fan. 40,000 is easily achievable when you consider there are plenty of ST holders who want to bring friends and family to games now but can't get additional tickets.

:appl:

The reporting on Southampton idicates that the going rate is now £3500 per seat when expanding, so 10,000 seats is £35,000,000.

Not including interest on any loans, ground maintainance, staffing costs, reduced capacity during renovation and policing that'll take about a decade of ST sell outs to pay off.

I went down yesterday and asked the girl behind the desk if I could be put on waiting list. She said there isn't going to be a waiting list.

I agree, I've got silver membership and I've already resigned myself to only getting tickets to games like Watford, Bournemouth etc.

Well said G

Re the atmosphere and half empty stadiums I just don't believe the atmosphere is as dependent on whether it's filled or not the  overriding reason for a poor atmosphere is down to what is happening on the pitch be that going for a trophy/promotion/qualification or fighting relegation.

Don't be silly. I may not be a scientist, but I'm sure it's down to the fact that empty seats soak up 'good atmosphere' particles.

Without dropping prices could we have sold an extra 10000 seats for the  run in the last 6 games? Could we have sold an extra 10000 for  the first game vs Everton or against Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City Liverpool, Spurs so demand  is there 30,000 people going mental in a ground capacity of 32k is the same amount of people going mental as 30,000 in a 42k stadium. In the PL there are plenty of A grade games and prices can  be reduced for lesser grade fixtures, if the club can give more fans the opportunity to see their team why not. An increased capacity gives the  club more chance to make the club more inclusive, with gate receipts no longer the be all and end all for clubs surely we are better off with 42,000 watching us and supporting us than 32,000.

Look at West Ham sure someone can quote the current capacity and what they are going to.

Got to point out though that in future it is rare we will have games such as Everton as there isn't the novelty factor.

We've got to find a way to make it worthwhile though. Do something that'll entice people to stay even when the novelty inevitably dies off.

Archived