Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

What... ever?

Okay maybe not ever, but definitely the for see able future. 

Whereas, we never stop hearing players going on about how it's their live-long dream to play for Stoke.

*Life  I'm just saying at this moment stoke are probably a more attractive prospect than Villa. 

Who knows? It possibly does. History and heritage is very attractive to some players. In any case Villa certainly have more potential than Stoke in the long run. Bigger city, bigger fanbase, bigger ground. Any club of their size managed properly (i.e. not them or Newcastle in recent years) has the potential to challenge for trophies year after year.

I can't see the "top 4" being broken by Villa or Newcastle, they won't attract the world class players that would rather move to Chelsea Arsenal or Man U.

Planning permission is usually granted for 3 years, That is, it expires if the work has not started within that period. Ther is a cost to doing all this, engineers/architects fees etc, but I would would not be surprised to see the owners apply anyway. If we get relegated in two years the permisison could just be allowed to lapse.

I think Leicester is unique in that it's the only club within a 100 miles (give or take) of the big north-west clubs and the big London clubs. I can see us topping 40,000 for home games against Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Those clubs could probably bring 10,000 away fans for each game. That would be brilliant for atmosphere! That's 33% of home games with a full stadium already. Villa, Everton, Newcastle are also big attractions which could hit 35,000 without too much trouble.

So I don't see the fact that the stadium will have empty seats for the smaller teams as much of a problem.

This is a very good point, both in football and non-football terms (concerts etc). Leicester is in such a good location that it's potential is going to be much better than a number of other cities in otherwise similar circumstances.

We could be seen as the good value away day that everyone goes to. Not too far, not too expensive. Smaller clubs would fancy their chances against us, and yet we're entertaining enough for the fans of bigger clubs to bother coming down for.

Does anybody have rough stats for how much City currently earns from the stadium in total (tickets, advertising, concessions etc)?

I'm willing to wager that if we increased capacity by say 10k seats/30%, our income from all things associated with the stadium would increase by at least 10-15% (not accounting for year on year increases in ticket prices, sponsorship deals etc.)

It's worth bearing in mind that virtually every revenue stream gets bumped up when you increase capacity and/or attendance. It improves purchasing power in small things like concessions, and adds some strength to sponsorship deals. 

If stadium expansion costs us approx 30m, and increased revenue approx 2m/year I think that would be a reasonable investment.

*Life  I'm just saying at this moment stoke are probably a more attractive prospect than Villa. 

I can't see the "top 4" being broken by Villa or Newcastle, they won't attract the world class players that would rather move to Chelsea Arsenal or Man U.

Neither do I. But they have more of a chance of doing so than Stoke.

Right. It's just that a couple of hours ago you were saying that "From this point onwards, I can't see them finishing higher than Stoke.."

So, I'm just saying it would make things easier if you knew the difference between the present and the future. :)

I think Leicester is unique in that it's the only club within a 100 miles (give or take) of the big north-west clubs and the big London clubs. I can see us topping 40,000 for home games against Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Those clubs could probably bring 10,000 away fans for each game. That would be brilliant for atmosphere! That's 33% of home games with a full stadium already. Villa, Everton, Newcastle are also big attractions which could hit 35,000 without too much trouble.

So I don't see the fact that the stadium will have empty seats for the smaller teams as much of a problem.

It's a good point, you'd probably be able to put another 1500-2000 away tickets on the gate. I'd rather look at trying to fill it with our fans and not so much having it as an attraction for the opposition.

I don't this fits in with the general trend in football, does it? Maybe I'm wrong. But we added 5000-10,000 fans during the Little era (okay, I know we'd lost the same number under Pleat, but still...), and a further 5000-10,000 after the O'Neill era, when we had the capacity (upon relegation, actually), then a further 5000+ when we became successful under Pearson. I see no reason to believe we won't continue to expand our fanbase. And I don't remember the excitement and passion fading the last time we had a sustained spell in the top flight, quite the opposite in fact.

There were plenty of games under O'Neill where we didn't hit 21000. Games against the minnows like Southampton - as they were in the 90s - Boro, Sheff Wed etc rarely got above 20K and the League Cup semi against Wimbledon got less than 17000. But I do take the point that if people assume the games are sold out or tickets aren't available in cheap enough areas, they'll stay away anyway.

Whilst you can say that clubs in France, Italy and Spain don't often fill their grounds, that's because teams here are far better supported anyway and certainly take more fans to away games than those in the European leagues. The atmostphere at some La Liga and Serie A games is shockingly bad and I wouldn't want that.

Also, if we get into another relegation scrap, can we really afford an extra 10000 clappers per game? :D

Any team when they have been mismanaged, or owners have changed their minds / been an arse can tumble. Get that management right and you can thrive. Villa and Newcastle have failed over the last few years due to bad ownership, bad management or a combination of both. But I don't think there is a person in the country who wouldn't say Villa and Newcastle has more potential than teams like. Why do people think like that? Because of their size, their ability to bring in more money.

We aren't being mismanaged, we're thriving currently. And like Swansea and Stoke (both teams are looking at expanding, Swansea soon and Stoke have approved planning permission for expansion). They are well run clubs and both realise to truly establish yourself you need to grow and bring in more money than your rivals... as well as being well run from top to bottom.

Any team when they have been mismanaged, or owners have changed their minds / been an arse can tumble. Get that management right and you can thrive. Villa and Newcastle have failed over the last few years due to bad ownership, bad management or a combination of both. But I don't think there is a person in the country who wouldn't say Villa and Newcastle has more potential than teams like. Why do people think like that? Because of their size, their ability to bring in more money.

We aren't being mismanaged, we're thriving currently. And like Swansea and Stoke (both teams are looking at expanding, Swansea soon and Stoke have approved planning permission for expansion). They are well run clubs and both realise to truly establish yourself you need to grow and bring in more money than your rivals... as well as being well run from top to bottom.

I don't really understand your point?

*Life I'm just saying at this moment stoke are probably a more attractive prospect than Villa.

Forseeable is one word, not three.

No-one could have seen Chelsea or Man City breaking into the "top 4" clubs not long ago, either. Villa and Newcastle are big clubs who could one day attract a multi-billionaire owner.

It's a good point, you'd probably be able to put another 1500-2000 away tickets on the gate. I'd rather look at trying to fill it with our fans and not so much having it as an attraction for the opposition.

That will never happen, you need to look at the requirements for Premier league grounds regarding away fans.

Do Man Utd, Arsenal give you 1-2000 more away tickets than they need too? No.

Even if we had a 100k seater we would still only give the right allocation to away teams, which I think is 3,000 for us.

We'll be no more established in three years than we are now. Like people have said, you're one managerial change from disaster, a bigger stadium, with big ambitions and solid financial backing will attract an higher calibre of manager. Had we had the new stadium during O'Neills time would have been of a massive benefit and once his time of departure came we could have been looking at someone more experienced and better than peter ****ing taylor.

I'd go for it

Regionally we're in a position to expand and need to embrace it. Leicester is a big, potentially vibrant city, our closest rivals seem likely to be playing catch-up for a while yet and we need to show the ambition necessary to rise from a good to a top football club now, while there's momentum in our favour.

Yes, I know it's a risk but I think - with top business people as owners - this might well prove our best chance in my lifetime to genuinely lift ourselves to another level - the level I've long believed we're capable of.  None of this means I think we should be reckless. Just professionally brave

enough to reflect our determination to climb to new heights..             

I'd go for it

Regionally we're in a position to expand and need to embrace it. Leicester is a big, potentially vibrant city, our closest rivals seem likely to be playing catch-up for a while yet and we need to show the ambition necessary to rise from a good to a top football now while there's momentum in our favour.

Yes, I know it's a risk but I think - with tp business people as owners - this might well prove our best chance in my lifetime to genuinely lift ourselves to another level - the level I've long believed we're capable of. None of this means I think we should be reckless. Just professionally brave

enough to reflect our determination to climb to new heights..

Great post

I thoroughly agree

I do get the feeling people over-estimate how much our owners can actually put into this club at times. £35mil is not a 'drop in the ocean' to them and they certainly didn't become that rich by spending that kind of money on 10,000 seats, not that it will cost anywhere near that.

I do get the feeling people over-estimate how much our owners can actually put into this club at times. £35mil is not a 'drop in the ocean' to them and they certainly didn't become that rich by spending that kind of money on 10,000 seats, not that it will cost anywhere near that.

The owners won't be paying for it the club will.

And you're right it won't cost anywhere near that.

Increasing stadium size will be beneficial for the whole city. increase number of large concerts and other events. It will dramatically increase the money entering and therefore leaving the business in spending. other surrounding pubs and small businesses will also benefit. 

Not to mention the fact that the stadium would be a beautiful sight if the family and east stand had an extra tier on top of them. A stadium unique to Leicester as opposed to a blueprint of St. Mary's or the Ricoh or the Riverside.

Lets invest 1st in youth schemes (we were one of the best)

Lets invest 1st in the squad and club admin and infrastructure.

lets invest 1st in consilidation.

Lets 1st invest in bringing in and getting other Leicester businesses interested in the package.

Lets 1st see if we can get normal priced, game day shops, and food premises.Then look to see if

they should extend to fullweek business, taking in both, city routines..press meetings, training sessions, and non

City relevant days.

Try first to create a local leicester atmosphere, not a plastic one with over the top prices.

See if we can interest small businesses like the old pie shop from the market, Melton Mowbray Pork pie franchise.

A small shoppingmall to entice families, and in citys club name develop a River soar area.

All the latter ideas with help and support from the city council.

Lets invest 1st in youth schemes (we were one of the best)

Lets invest 1st in the squad and club admin and infrastructure.

lets invest 1st in consilidation.

Lets 1st invest in bringing in and getting other Leicester businesses interested in the package.

Lets 1st see if we can get normal priced, game day shops, and food premises.Then look to see if

they should extend to fullweek business, taking in both, city routines..press meetings, training sessions, and non

City relevant days.

Try first to create a local leicester atmosphere, not a plastic one with over the top prices.

See if we can interest small businesses like the old pie shop from the market, Melton Mowbray Pork pie franchise.

A small shoppingmall to entice families, and in citys club name develop a River soar area.

All the latter ideas with help and support from the city council.

Didn't we invest in the youth system & the training facilities last summer?

Increasing stadium size will be beneficial for the whole city. increase number of large concerts and other events. It will dramatically increase the money entering and therefore leaving the business in spending. other surrounding pubs and small businesses will also benefit.

It's got to be done

Can't see a valid argument for not increasing the capacity

Planning permission is usually granted for 3 years, That is, it expires if the work has not started within that period. Ther is a cost to doing all this, engineers/architects fees etc, but I would would not be surprised to see the owners apply anyway. If we get relegated in two years the permisison could just be allowed to lapse.

I thought the original plans were drawn up with this extension already on them.

Thats why the ground was designed so as little work as possible is needed.

Archived