Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

We all had to start going to games at some point in time. Attendances shot up by 5000-10000 per game under Little and by another 5000-10000 when we moved to the new stadium in 2002 and subsequently won promotion,

I'm sure plenty of those people are here on this forum and have continued to support us through thick and thin. My first game, as a little kid, was at the back end of the Milne era, when we'd just finished 15th in the top flight, as good a finish as we'd had in half a dozen or so years, so I must have been a 'plastic' too, like lots of others who stood and sat alongside me during the Pleat, Lee, Bassett, Levein, Kelly and Holloway eras.

If we add another 5000-10000 fans now then I'm sure plenty of them will come along the next time things go wrong. And as for waiting another couple of years, if Pierpoint had got his act together (sorry if he wasn't to blame, but O'Neill blamed him anyway!) a little sooner then we might have enjoyed crowds of 32,000 in 1998, 99, 2000, and it could have had a massive impact on our attendances further down the line.

I honestly don't understand all of this 'plastic' talk. I see a lot of 'us and them' mentality on the forum (one fans group vs. another, Pearsonites vs. Pearson-outers, plastics vs. 'real' fans, ****** vs. clever fans etc.) and this is among the more arbitrary lines we've drawn. Surely we want to become a bigger club, no?

We all had to start going to games at some point in time. Attendances shot up by 5000-10000 per game under Little and by another 5000-10000 when we moved to the new stadium in 2002 and subsequently won promotion,

I'm sure plenty of those people are here on this forum and have continued to support us through thick and thin. My first game, as a little kid, was at the back end of the Milne era, when we'd just finished 15th in the top flight, as good a finish as we'd had in half a dozen or so years, so I must have been a 'plastic' too, like lots of others who stood and sat alongside me during the Pleat, Lee, Bassett, Levein, Kelly and Holloway eras.

If we add another 5000-10000 fans now then I'm sure plenty of them will come along the next time things go wrong. And as for waiting another couple of years, if Pierpoint had got his act together (sorry if he wasn't to blame, but O'Neill blamed him anyway!) a little sooner then we might have enjoyed crowds of 32,000 in 1998, 99, 2000, and it could have had a massive impact on our attendances further down the line.

I honestly don't understand all of this 'plastic' talk. I see a lot of 'us and them' mentality on the forum (one fans group vs. another, Pearsonites vs. Pearson-outers, plastics vs. 'real' fans, ****** vs. clever fans etc.) and this is among the more arbitrary lines we've drawn. Surely we want to become a bigger club, no?

Pierpoint was a total mug internal feuds, he did'nt want MON as manager and didn't back him. Eventually he was ousted and we progressed with MON and Martin George I think. I read it in MON's autobiography.

Were's Pierpoint now ? Last time I heard he was with some Non-League outfit.

Interesting point about so called plastic fans, I remember in the late 80's watching city play with attendances of about 10000. By some peoples reckoning then I'd be an absolute hero! I would never have envisaged then city playing in front of 4 times that number at home and I for one welcome it. A lot of people have to work Saturdays or evenings and so can only attend a few games, by no means would I consider them plastic.

I don't understand why people think that some fans shouldn't be allowed to go to games if they never have, or been to very few before. Extra people through the gate means extra money for our club, if they really enjoy themselves, they'll renew their season ticket, and so on. If they bring their kids, they have the potential to be lifelong fans like us. So where's the problem?

I don't understand why people think that some fans shouldn't be allowed to go to games if they never have, or been to very few before. Extra people through the gate means extra money for our club, if they really enjoy themselves, they'll renew their season ticket, and so on. If they bring their kids, they have the potential to be lifelong fans like us. So where's the problem?

This.. Surely that's what we want more people enjoying and supporting the boys... More supporters more revenue more noise everyone who goes pays their money people have different circumstances that may prevent them from going obviously there is those who can't get every game those who missed out on ST... Strike while the irons hot while there is a need to expand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting point about so called plastic fans, I remember in the late 80's watching city play with attendances of about 10000. By some peoples reckoning then I'd be an absolute hero! I would never have envisaged then city playing in front of 4 times that number at home and I for one welcome it. A lot of people have to work Saturdays or evenings and so can only attend a few games, by no means would I consider them plastic.

Top post

I agree

Another 3000 on the east stand then lets see how we are doing in 3 years,if we can say back to back top 10 finishes in that time and we are selling out then stick another 2000 on the family stand, 37000 would be about right if we can establish ourselves and change the camera angle back to face the east stand, this season coming is so vital we do well and continue to sell out

I care. The atmosphere will fall apart with only 50% full.

No it won't.

They'll simply close the new top tier and the stadium will basically revert to a 32k, unless the demand remains high.

I care. The atmosphere will fall apart with only 50% full.

Can someone explain this logic? Why are 20,000 supports in a 42,000 worse than 20,000 in a 32,000?

Also if you look at the supporters thread we have supporters all over the world. I try to get back home for 3-4 weeks a year as do a few other city supporters I know out here.

I am sure the supporters closer to home in Europe and the States get back regularly too. Now the first thing I do when booking my trip is look at the fixture list and try to get tickets for every game. This used to be easy, not sure how I will go this year.

The plastic arguement is crap, I've been home and away since we got Pleat out! Until moving for better opportunities on the other side of the world. I am up at 2am week in week out watching games and have recruited many new city followers over here.

All I want is to be able to see 2-3 games when I do head back over, 42,000 would allow this for us fans far away.

Can someone explain this logic? Why are 20,000 supports in a 42,000 worse than 20,000 in a 32,000?

Also if you look at the supporters thread we have supporters all over the world. I try to get back home for 3-4 weeks a year as do a few other city supporters I know out here.

I am sure the supporters closer to home in Europe and the States get back regularly too. Now the first thing I do when booking my trip is look at the fixture list and try to get tickets for every game. This used to be easy, not sure how I will go this year.

The plastic arguement is crap, I've been home and away since we got Pleat out! Until moving for better opportunities on the other side of the world. I am up at 2am week in week out watching games and have recruited many new city followers over here.

All I want is to be able to see 2-3 games when I do head back over, 42,000 would allow this for us fans far away.

I personally think your support and the support of other overseas fans is tremendous and I applaud you. I would love to see a 40'000 plus ground and hopefully watch us grow as a club to the next level

Up the Foxes!!!!

It kind of depends as well on what the ceiling is for season ticket holders. The ticket office will have an idea of how many people applied but couldn't get STs and also membership take ups from those people. If they think there's enough demand to get up to 37 or 42K then why not go for it? We spent years at Filbert Street trying to expand and losing money in lost ticket revenues. We're in a good place now to build on what we've got but I'd definitely do it piece by piece not just add on 10K in one go.

I honestly believe if you strike at the minute then we'll never reach a point where we end up with 20k in a 42k stadium as we'll have gotten enough on board to average maybe 27k in the Championship. I might be horribly wrong but you never know do you?

The atmosphere would be flatter but that's down to those there rather than those not.

The logic is based on evidence collated since the opening of the stadium: atmosphere with an average attendance of 22-24k bad, atmosphere with an average attendance of 31k one of the best in the league.

I'm not saying I don't want an expansion. I'd be all for it as long as its sensible. For me that would be waiting for a change in legislation and installing safe standing in the South Stand at a ratio of 1.5:1 and reducing ticket prices accordingly. That would bump us up to a capacity of around 36k which I think would be far more suitable for a club of our size than 42k.

I'm not sure what people are scared about?

Our fantastic owners are willing to try and expand to 42000 in an effort for us to grow and try and fulfil our potential

Why be scared because if we do get relegated then it isn't going to be because we have a larger stadium?

Let's just fill the fooker

Up the Foxes

If they did expand they would be better to leave away fans where they are and not move them into the rafters like at Newcastle or that wos ruin the atmosphere

You will find it's happening more and more at grounds now to put away fans as far away as possible to restrict their advantage behind that goal etc.

Martin O'Neil moved away fans at Villa Park from behind the goal when he first went there.

It has nothing to do with home atmosphere as other than L, and family stand near the corner, no one looks at them anyway.

Every one else watches what happens on the pitch.

Without dropping prices could we have sold an extra 10000 seats for the  run in the last 6 games? Could we have sold an extra 10000 for  the first game vs Everton or against Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City Liverpool, Spurs so demand  is there 30,000 people going mental in a ground capacity of 32k is the same amount of people going mental as 30,000 in a 42k stadium. In the PL there are plenty of A grade games and prices can  be reduced for lesser grade fixtures, if the club can give more fans the opportunity to see their team why not. An increased capacity gives the  club more chance to make the club more inclusive, with gate receipts no longer the be all and end all for clubs surely we are better off with 42,000 watching us and supporting us than 32,000.

Look at West Ham sure someone can quote the current capacity and what they are going to.

Why don't we lower the capacity to 20,000 that way we will be even more full and atmosphere will be even better and it will just be like Filbert St and everything will be amazing? 

Without dropping prices could we have sold an extra 10000 seats for the  run in the last 6 games? Could we have sold an extra 10000 for  the first game vs Everton or against Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City Liverpool, Spurs so demand  is there 30,000 people going mental in a ground capacity of 32k is the same amount of people going mental as 30,000 in a 42k stadium. In the PL there are plenty of A grade games and prices can  be reduced for lesser grade fixtures, if the club can give more fans the opportunity to see their team why not. An increased capacity gives the  club more chance to make the club more inclusive, with gate receipts no longer the be all and end all for clubs surely we are better off with 42,000 watching us and supporting us than 32,000.

Look at West Ham sure someone can quote the current capacity and what they are going to.

Imo no we couldn't. We could definitely sell more than the present capacity but not 42,000. Also when the novelty of being in the premier has worn off then interest will decline.

Why don't we lower the capacity to 20,000 that way we will be even more full and atmosphere will be even better and it will just be like Filbert St and everything will be amazing?

Better still reduce the capacity to 300 and only the richest people can buy tickets at £15000 each? Mind you with that you get a free match day magazine and a packet of jelly beans . . . .

Tbh I'm suprised we are looking to expand 2 stands 1 is definitely required but you'd think the family stand and the kop could be designed now but not extended unless demand needs it in future years

Tbh I'm suprised we are looking to expand 2 stands 1 is definitely required but you'd think the family stand and the kop could be designed now but not extended unless demand needs it in future years

I think the only reason they might do the two stands is if it was a financial no brainer in terms of building costs / disruption. Besides the two stand thing is only a rumour the only thing we're relative sure of is that only the East stand currently has sufficient footings/foundations to add another tier..

we could always do an MK and only fit so many seats  :P

Archived