Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vossen

Kodi. Set ups,boxes and add ons.

Guess it's OK for free TV, but it ain't great quality Larry...& why is it so complicated...

Yeah I got it working OK but its a lot more work than just changing a channel up or down.

The free TV side of it is actually the most temperamental, the on demand movies and TV shows are the best part.

The main reason I want to stream live is to try and see away games. Other than that I just use it for on demand stuff.

Edited by Kent

The free TV side of it is actually the most temperamental, the on demand movies and TV shows are the best part.

The main reason I want to stream live is to try and see away games. Other than that I just use it for on demand stuff.

Me too. I bought my box to watch the football the films and tv are a bonus. Sometimes I'll be watching the test match and the stream'll die and it take 5 mins to find a new one but I'm getting it for nothing whereas some are paying £70 a month for it.

Ok.

I'm looking at cancelling my sky sports and movie package with Sky after reading through this thread, especially as I now don't get to a lot of city games.

I have a basic knowledge of computers et al, however compared to some of you, I'm not very technical at all lol

I'm looking for a box that I can use on my downstairs TV with a decent quality picture (I've got a 52" Samsung).

I have wireless fibre broadband which runs at a download speed of about 72mb/s.

Any advice / help on which box to buy (prefably ones that come with add on's installed already would be great)?

Price isn't an issue, especially if I'm going to be saving £60-£80 a month anyway.

Ok.

I'm looking at cancelling my sky sports and movie package with Sky after reading through this thread, especially as I now don't get to a lot of city games.

I have a basic knowledge of computers et al, however compared to some of you, I'm not very technical at all lol

I'm looking for a box that I can use on my downstairs TV with a decent quality picture (I've got a 52" Samsung).

Any advice / help on which box to buy (prefably ones that come with add on's installed already would be great)?

Price isn't an issue, especially if I'm going to be saving £60-£80 a month anyway.

Why don't you buy a box before cancelling, and give yourself a chance to get used to it.

Nothing on it is particularly technical, it might seem daunting but honestly I'm as computer illiterate as they come. I bought from droidsticks as it comes with a click on wizard that updates the box on a regular basis, which was great for a novice, I'm not sure I'd bother now I have a bit more experience. I've had the m8 for nearly a year now and it has never let me down, I definitely recommend it but I know most of the quad cores are equally reliable.

Ok.

And so long as you realise not every "new" film/stream is crystal clear quality etc... Try it on a laptop or mobile before you cut your Sky links ;)

Just to add.... You can get a hdmi lead from your laptop to Samsung.. Save a few pounds. ??

I'd think the spec on your laptop would be better than anything on a box. You'd probably get better results.

And so long as you realise not every "new" film/stream is crystal clear quality etc... Try it on a laptop or mobile before you cut your Sky links ;)

I must reemphasize this.

I know Sky is a lot of money a month and I refuse to pay it but remember you get none of the interactive features and you can't pop out and record etc. It's 100% reliable and perfect 1080P all of the time.

Last season there were 1080p Prem League streams on the NBC add-on that were worth their weight in gold but I'm not sure how easy they'll be to come across this season.

People are bigging up Zeus and Halow quite a bit, yes, they're OK but you get no more than 720P and they're not always in 100% reliable in my experience. On Halow I get an annoying loop that happens quite often that makes it unwatchable at times and Zeus has a lot of stuff that is in SD that is no better than a flash window on CricTV. 

If you can afford it stick with Sky IMO but have Kodi still so that you can see EVERY premier league game , not just the ones on Sky. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 2

The bottom line is, you have to take Kodi etc for what it is. Its free at the end of the day and as such it wont be perfect. Nothing will ever beat paid for Sky Sports but ultimately its a rip off. Plus the games are very limited. I suppose buying a box could be seen as a bit risky in terms of quality but its very rare I cant find atleast one 720 stream of most international and English sports channels. You just have to know where to look. 720 is fine for me.

The bottom line is, you have to take Kodi etc for what it is. Its free at the end of the day and as such it wont be perfect. Nothing will ever beat paid for Sky Sports but ultimately its a rip off. Plus the games are very limited. I suppose buying a box could be seen as a bit risky in terms of quality but its very rare I cant find atleast one 720 stream of most international and English sports channels. You just have to know where to look. 720 is fine for me.

I'm not sure I can even tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

Spot on, in the end it's free so you have to take it for that. Kodi has come on leaps and bounds from what I have read since it first came out years ago, streams are better and 720p streams and 1080p streams are even more stable than they used to be

Of course as said it is a free service and streams are provided by people so it's not always gonna work and you have to take it for what it's worth

As for the 720p/1080p debate you have to literally go right up to a screen to even notice. 720p and 1080i imo looks the same but I can notice a slight difference with 1080p if close