Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vossen

Kodi. Set ups,boxes and add ons.

15 minutes ago, stix said:

Why am I?

it's the VPN restricting the speed because it has to encrypt your data so you remain anonymous 

Also depends on where the server is located 

Having a VPN also adds extra hops

Most vpn locations are in America 

So if you accessing a football stream from America 

It means your request must first travel from the U.K. To America then America to the U.K. Realise you have a VPN then send it back to the states to be encrypted then sent back to you for you to watch it 

also on the encryption status it depends on how effectively it does the job

basically it like putting paper though a shredder 

the better the shedder the more you can put though it and the faster you will get though the pile

29 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

it's the VPN restricting the speed because it has to encrypt your data so you remain anonymous 

Also depends on where the server is located 

Having a VPN also adds extra hops

Most vpn locations are in America 

So if you accessing a football stream from America 

It means your request must first travel from the U.K. To America then America to the U.K. Realise you have a VPN then send it back to the states to be encrypted then sent back to you for you to watch it 

also on the encryption status it depends on how effectively it does the job

basically it like putting paper though a shredder 

the better the shedder the more you can put though it and the faster you will get though the pile

Nah. 

Using a vpn on my own network at home reduces my internet speed by about 3mb. 

I usually use a British vpn anyway. 

Virgin are throttling vpns. They don't even deny it. 

Virgin used to throttle Bittorrent traffic down to dial up speeds during "peak hours" (i.e. all the time except the middle of the night) a few years back, under their "traffic management" policy. Wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with VPN traffic, or anything else that isn't bog standard web browsing or legal video streaming.

9 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I'm actually quite nervous to see what happens stream wise on Friday.  Living in Cornwall, streaming the games really has been an absolute godsend.  If it were all to come to an end, gutted really wouldn't cover it.

Yeah it's a big test this weekend. I won't need to stream the city match as I'll watch it down the pub. I'll watch something on Saturday though to test it.

On 09/08/2017 at 13:41, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I'm actually quite nervous to see what happens stream wise on Friday.  Living in Cornwall, streaming the games really has been an absolute godsend.  If it were all to come to an end, gutted really wouldn't cover it.

Sports Mania - £35ish for the season and all matches in HD - 2 years in and never had an issue. Also have app for phone/iPad for when you're away or working! 

• Like 1

Just now, Milo said:

Nah. 

Using a vpn on my own network at home reduces my internet speed by about 3mb. 

I usually use a British vpn anyway. 

Virgin are throttling vpns. They don't even deny it. 

D'you know if there are any challenges to this against Virgin? 

I pay for 100mbps and achieve 80ish, with no VPN. When I use IPVanish it drops to 9mbps, give or take. 

Even when I use a nearby IPS so obviously the speed reduction is not to do with being bounced round the world...

Has nobody challenged Virgin about this??

5 hours ago, Milo said:

I pay for 100mbps and achieve 80ish, with no VPN. When I use IPVanish it drops to 9mbps, give or take. 

Even when I use a nearby IPS so obviously the speed reduction is not to do with being bounced round the world...

Saw on their forum that some were having success using their "superhub" in modem mode and connecting it to a different hub, thus getting around the inbuilt virgin throttling. 

Not sure if it's accurate, but surely worth investigating. 

7 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Saw on their forum that some were having success using their "superhub" in modem mode and connecting it to a different hub, thus getting around the inbuilt virgin throttling. 

Not sure if it's accurate, but surely worth investigating. 

Thanks, will look into this. Doesn't really address the problem of why they would slow down the speed so dramatically, though. If I'm paying for 100mbps that's pretty much what I should be receiving, regardless of VPN or not. I can't imagine that it's in the contract that they would do this...but I'm equally surprised no one has kicked off about it

26 minutes ago, Milo said:

Thanks, will look into this. Doesn't really address the problem of why they would slow down the speed so dramatically, though. If I'm paying for 100mbps that's pretty much what I should be receiving, regardless of VPN or not. I can't imagine that it's in the contract that they would do this...but I'm equally surprised no one has kicked off about it

Well, if you want to kick off about it you need proof. As long as virgin media respond "it's a problem with the ports your end" and no one can prove otherwise it seems unlikely anything would be done. I've not read the virgin media contract, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if this throttling nonsense wasn't in the small print somewhere. 

Virgin? bit of advice, dump it at the earliest opportunity. I'm supposed to get 200mbs, never seen it over 60 and average between 20 and 30. I've had "engineers" (ha ha ha) out, reset it a million times, on the phone to them all the time, sent them monthly photos of the speed i'm getting etc etc etc and there always seems to be maintenance work on a line somewhere near me. Never will i be suckered by this company again, all for the sake of saving 20 quid a year. 

In my experience Sky are better at the TV side of things and Virgin are better at broadband, so I use both companies. I get 80-90 Mbps speed over wifi which I'm happy with - so no real issue there. My ethernet connected pc only gets about 30mbps - so I assume that there is something on the network adaptor or graphics card, (or maybe the AV software...or the home plug) that's slowing it down. Haven't had time to check yet. 

Ping return with no VPN and with VPN is about the same, but speed is vastly different...so huge slow down must be with Virgin and not the VPN or equipment

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

In my experience Sky are better at the TV side of things and Virgin are better at broadband, so I use both companies. I get 80-90 Mbps speed over wifi which I'm happy with - so no real issue there. My ethernet connected pc only gets about 30mbps - so I assume that there is something on the network adaptor or graphics card, (or maybe the AV software...or the home plug) that's slowing it down. Haven't had time to check yet. 

Ping return with no VPN and with VPN is about the same, but speed is vastly different...so huge slow down must be with Virgin and not the VPN or equipment

I'm with plusnet, I get 36mbps average. With vpn it's around 31mbps. So not a huge difference and well worth it.

14 hours ago, Milo said:

There won't be any challenges to this as Virgin consider using VPNs as P2P usage 

And they state P2P usage is subject to traffic management

Also just to Point out a common misconception you are not paying for 100 Mbps 

you are paying for "up to 100 Mbps"

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

Anyone had experience with Now TV?

They're currently offering 2 months at £19.99 per month. Is it streamed in full HD and are they reliable is the key question

I had a one day free trial to watch the friendly with Liverpool, it was shit. Like radio commentary with a series of photographs.

Just now, Webbo said:

I had a one day free trial to watch the friendly with Liverpool, it was shit. Like radio commentary with a series of photographs.

Did you have to take the trial that day? Was it a free trial for all? May be everyone had it at the same time and the servers overloaded.

Anyway, at £20 I won't take the risk as they reckon the quality is SD on many devices anyway.