Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

15 hours ago, Strokes said:

I hope corbyn wins, i cant root for someone who supports a second referendum.

Pretty astounding moment when he said he would ignore the election, I hope it hit home to him as well when he got the biggest boo of the night even from a Labour audience who voted to remain in good numbers. Whoever the leader of Labour is they have to be a democrat, people like him and David Lammy aren't fit for parliament if they actually believe this.

I do think Smith was on a mission impossible job though last night, he's got 5 million people watching him and he's got to come across as so left wing he can outflank Corbyn but stay close enough to the centre for the public to see him as PM material.

Pretty incredible result in Mosborough last night as well, a complete resurgance from the Lib Dems to take back what was considered now a safe Labour seat they completely collapsed in last night.

Mosborough (Sheffield) result:
LDEM: 45.6% (+31.8)
LAB: 34.1% (-9.2)
UKIP: 12.4% (-9.8)
CON: 6.1% (-7.9)
GRN: 1.8% (-1.3)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Pretty astounding moment when he said he would ignore the election, I hope it hit home to him as well when he got the biggest boo of the night even from a Labour audience who voted to remain in good numbers. Whoever the leader of Labour is they have to be a democrat, people like him and David Lammy aren't for for parliament if they actually believe this.

I do think Smith was on a mission impossible job though last night, he's got 5 million people watching him and he's got to come across as so left wing he can outflank Corbyn but stay close enough to the centre for the public to see him as PM material.

Its astounding that these are the best options Labour can present, its time they split, so these jokers can go back to the wilderness where they belong.

On 9/9/2016 at 11:38, Strokes said:

Its astounding that these are the best options Labour can present, its time they split, so these jokers can go back to the wilderness where they belong.

Did you see this yesterday? Emily Thornberry (who somehow has a job in the shadow cabinet still after insulting every working class Englishman in the country just two years ago) basically resorting to silly allegations of sexism because she isn't up on her brief and doesn't know her job properly.

When the members vote for more of the same in a couple of weeks, it's time to stop taking them seriously as a political party, they should be treated how the Greens and UKIP are.

39 minutes ago, MattP said:

Did you see this yesterday? Emily Thornberry (who somehow has a job in the shadow cabinet still after insulting every working class Englishman in the country just two years ago) basically resorting to silly allegations of sexism because she isn't up on her brief and doesn't know her job properly.

When the members vote for more of the same in a couple of weeks, it's time to stop taking them seriously as a political party, they should be treated how the Greens and UKIP are.

Wow. She is awful. How can she be Shadow Foreign Secretary and not know who the leaders of other countries are? Especially France.

4 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Wow. She is awful. How can she be Shadow Foreign Secretary and not know who the leaders of other countries are? Especially France.

Incredible isn't it? Even more so given Brexit and the controversy over the Calais camp, I must have read Jean-Marc Ayrault's name ten times in the last few weeks and the shadow foreign secretary doesn't know him.

Honestly don't know where to start, she had the nerve to slag off Boris as being incapable of doing the job as well.

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

Incredible isn't it? Even more so given Brexit and the controversy over the Calais camp, I must have read Jean-Marc Ayrault's name ten times in the last few weeks and the shadow foreign secretary doesn't know him.

Honestly don't know where to start, she had the nerve to slag off Boris as being incapable of doing the job as well.

Qualifications: GCSE French... yeah you can be Shadow Foreign Sec. (Disclaimer: I don't know if she has GCSE French)

Surely Witney is now the opportunity the Tories need to either get Esther McVey or Dan Hannan into the government? 

The latter was completely wasted in the European parliament anyway. 

Some serious big names being affected because their seat is being abolished, becoming marginal, or the changes mean they will have to battle it out with another MP.

Islington North – Jeremy Corbyn
Hackney North and Stoke Newington – Diane Abbott
Tatton – George Osborne
Uxbridge and South Ruislip – Boris Johnson
Witham – Priti Patel
Maldon – John Whittingdale
Haltemprice and Howden – David Davis
Putney – Justine Greening
Chelsea and Fulham – Greg Hands
Battersea – Jane Ellison
Enfield Southgate – David Burrowes
Sheffield Hallam – Nick Clegg
Pontypridd – Owen Smith
Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford – Yvette Cooper
Stoke on Trent Central – Tristram Hunt
Stoke on Trent North – Ruth Smeeth
Stoke on Trent South – Rob Flello
Dudley North – Ian Austin
Barrow and Furness – John Woodcock
Streatham – Chuka Umunna
Brighton Pavilion – Caroline Lucas

Stoke on Trent South – Rob Flello
Norwich South – Clive Lewis
Islington South – Emily Thornberry
Vauxhall – Kate Hoey
Camberwell and Peckham – Harriet Harman
Wansbeck – Ian Lavery
Great Grimsby – Melanie Onn
Workington – Sue Hayman
Heywood & Middleton – Liz McInnes
Liverpool Walton – Steve Rotheram
Wirral South – Alison McGovern
Cynon Valley – Ann Clwyd
Ashton-under-Lyne – Angela Rayner
Stalybridge and Hyde – Jonathan Reynolds
Kensington – Victoria Borwick
Cities of London and Westminster – Mark Field
Montgomeryshire – Glyn Davies
Ribble Valley – Nigel Evans
Pendle – Andrew Stephenson
North Herefordshire – Bill Wiggin
Ludlow – Philip Dunne
Brigg and Goole – Andrew Percy
Preseli Pembrokeshire – Stephen Crabb
Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire – Simon Hart
Cardiff South and Penarth – Stephen Doughty
Cardiff Central – Jo Stevens
Aberavon – Stephen Kinnock
Clwyd South – Susan Elan Jones
Arfon – Hywel Williams
Ynos Mon – Albert Owen
Ceredigion – Mark Fraser Williams
Erith and Thamesmead – Teresa Pearce
Rushcliffe – Ken Clarke (standing down anyway)

The vaguely interesting thing about this are Labour party rules. I read something the other day that any MP with about 4/10ths of their existing constituency in the new arrangement gets automatically selected and that gives Mr Corbyn no automatic route back in. Also don't Labour have something about all women shortlists to contend with?

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the powers that be with organise a solution but right now Mr Corbyn who portrays himself as the arch democrat might find the rules of his own democracy count against him.

I'm sure there is an irony in there somewhere.

6 minutes ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

The vaguely interesting thing about this are Labour party rules. I read something the other day that any MP with about 4/10ths of their existing constituency in the new arrangement gets automatically selected and that gives Mr Corbyn no automatic route back in. Also don't Labour have something about all women shortlists to contend with?

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the powers that be with organise a solution but right now Mr Corbyn who portrays himself as the arch democrat might find the rules of his own democracy count against him.

I'm sure there is an irony in there somewhere.

Exactly, as I understand it any seat that's left by a woman is an automatic "all woman shortlist" seat immediately after, so he can't move into either Thornberry's or Abbott's or he would be breaking party rules.

So it looks like Comrade Corbyn will have to find himself a seat right outside of his Islington habitat, I imagine he'll go for the new Stoke Newington and Finchley Park one but that's a tougher one than he would want with a 30% Jewish population, would still win it though.

32 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

May shocking on PMQ's. Avoided every question and made a hash of it, couldn't justify her policy whatsoever, was changing the subject by the end of it and the gag was cringy.

She doesn't believe the policy. It is a token to make conservatives think she is one.

Archived