Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

1 hour ago, SMX11 said:

She doesn't believe the policy. It is a token to make conservatives think she is one.

I doubt that. She certainly believes the system works but her justification for it is purely anecdotal as she went to one when photos were still black and white. You have a point that it is a token policy, though I think it's to distract the right wing of the party from Brexit.

I have come to the conclusion that no party really wants to be in power. It is a good contest as to which party can be the most incompetent and unpopular. ATM Labour with the help of publicity, much of it self induced, is winning that battle.

So it looks like the General Public will have to endure more Tory rule at the next GE and they will have to deal with the economy, education, welfare,immigration and the NHS and the opposition will sit on the back benches smirking, pleased that it is not them having to deal with things and cocking everything up. :) 

Now off to pub to watch the footie.

Can't see Dianne James doing as well as Farage. She is too southern, a bit boring and has too much of a "can I see your manager?" haircut to do what UKIP wants to do, especially in the North West. Although Farage was not much more than a ultra-Thatcherite yuppie in an Alan Partridge dinner blazer he did have that likeable confidence.

12 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Although widely expected to happen, UKIP name Diane James it their new leader, though Nigel Farage will stay on as leader of the party in Brussels.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/16/ukip-elects-diane-james-as-new-party-leader

I was just watching some of her victory speech and found it dull and uninspiring. It all seemed to be backslapping and internal party stuff.

I know that she was addressing her party conference, but surely she should have been giving a rousing idea of "what UKIP is for", post-Brexit?

She did point out that Brexit is unfinished business - and UKIP has a ready-made role if May seeks to negotiate a "soft Brexit". She didn't seem to say anything else of any substance re. UKIP's core purposes/strategy, though I switched off before the end.

She's a relaxed, credible performer in TV interviews and on Question Time, but I can't see that being enough in these turbulent times. Whatever you may think of Farage (and I'm no fan), he was very successful at seizing the political agenda and gaining publicity and political prominence well beyond the party's natural support base. He alienated many and sometimes went beyond the pale, but he was also very good at generating publicity and support through pithy, "common sense" slogans. with the help of his disarming "decent bloke at the bar" persona.

If there is discontent over the Brexit terms that May seeks to negotiate, I can imagine the fight being led by Eurosceptic Tories, not UKIP, if Diane James presents such a dull persona......and then what will UKIP's purpose be? 

I'm guessing but I imagine Farage will seize the moment again if he has to. Having met him a couple of times, I think he's a reluctant politician who often thinks he could do without the hassle of moving mountains and stoking reaction from others with their own vested interests that are not necessarily wedded to the wider welfare of the UK as a community. 

But many who voted for Brexit are still suspicious of an evolving  conspiracy to avoid leaving the EU what with Rompuy's talking of our having to wait til after the German elections for serious talks, with more from the Junck male too.

It wouldn't have been my preferred choice but I'm now thinking we should trigger our release clause quickly. The Eurocrats will defend their gravy train with every kind of threat and bitter reaction they can - as I always knew they would - and as the people who got us into such a deviously overwhelming and dictatorial organisation should have realised before they signed the documents. 

I don't see why we need to put up with the rhetoric of Rompuy and Juncker any longer and its sounding like the Germans are getting increasingly pissed off with EU attitudes as well.           

Maybe some good will come forth in the end but not before we establish our independence and show you really can be allies of Europe without selling your soul to their flawed ideals.      

34 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

Ukip needs to be radical if it wants to continue to exist.

UKIP needs to stop scoring own goals, get a better media machine, better internal communication and ideas over and beyond just immigration.

Indeed there's a massive opportunity for a rising underdog party in British politics but UKIP needs a lot more orators besides Farage and more people with a vision rather than an eye on a meal ticket.

Oh yes, and it needs a much better candidate selection system and much greater awareness among members of its own policies.    

21 hours ago, Countryfox said:

C'mon Jezza you can do it !  .....    The best labour leader by a countryfox mile ...    Fingers crossed peeps.   :rolleyes:

2 more days to go. Thank fuchs. Biggest waste of time. Needed a strong  opposition over the change in pm /brexit and all they did was in fight . 

I hope this either makes or breaks labour... Limping on is damaging to UK democracy. 

26 minutes ago, covefox said:

2 more days to go. Thank fuchs. Biggest waste of time. Needed a strong  opposition over the change in pm /brexit and all they did was in fight . 

I hope this either makes or breaks labour... Limping on is damaging to UK democracy. 

No no ...  just keep limping ...   :)

Post Brexit..

Interesting after speaking to several young British  friends and aquaintances, and my Son-in-law.(who has applied)

There has been a large increase of Brits in Germany, now applying for German citizenship

"Einbuergerung- Nationalization". Main reasons seem to be thoughts  on job security inside Europe,

less problems if chosen to travel for the company.Might not get chosen if more paper work is needed.

Plus presuming  Less hassle at Passport control when going overseas or within europe for ones hols.

My daughter is just as clever as her mother...they both married Englishman...Often tell my german friends..!!

Being 62 and now in Early retirement, I decided I wouldnt bother, there are no problems in

my case, I have permanent right for  residence and work.

Interesting I thought, it makes me  wonder if  or what other  Eu countries show an high increase on nationalisation

request from young Anglos.The eu media did give out a statement that there were at least 100k increase of new

job applications from UK.

12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Post Brexit..

Interesting after speaking to several young British  friends and aquaintances, and my Son-in-law.(who has applied)

There has been a large increase of Brits in Germany, now applying for German citizenship...

Lets hope it's all the really whiney ones.

21 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Michael Rosen on Daily Politics:

What a complete weirdo he was ,he freaked me out on the TV, can't imagine what he's like in real life.

Question Time was fantastic, Liz Kendall again showed just how sensible and centre ground she is, I'd consider voting Labour under her and if I would vote for them they would win by a landslide across the country, the fact she got 4.5% shows just where the membership are, the Mogg was terrific as per usual despite Dimbleby trying to slander him as a Trump supporter.

Alastair Campbell on Question Time wanging on about how South Korea has one of the best education systems in the world.

They might pass a lot of tests but that doesn't mean it's a good system. They train kids to pass tests, to memorize answers. Rich parents basically pay for a secondary, academy-style after-school program to supplement regular school so their children can get ahead. As for inclusivity, yeah I saw a lot of that when the disabled kids were left to fall asleep in class and given no alternative work to do. And do you want to tell the audience about the dozen kids that jump off bridges every year as a direct result of that system and it's testing, Mr Campbell? 

I love Korea but its education system is extremely flawed, detrimental to a lot of both teachers and students, and not one we should be looking to emulate.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say I was too interested in politics but I can't help feeling that things at the moment are not too bad.  I'm quite impressed by May and really do think that we are on the verge of a new beginning in terms of how we will interact with the rest of the world now we don't have to answer to those bureaucratic idiots within the EU.   Dave was a bit like Pearson and took us to a certain level and now May, as did the Don, will take us to the next.   JC is making sure the impetus will not be lost by fookin up the Labour Party and keeping them in the shadows ....     Ed Balls is now a not very good dancer ....    And that slimey repulsive Vazerline is hiding somewhere licking his wounds after being partially found out as the @@@@ he is.

Happy and exciting times !    :)

Guest MattP

Most outrageous thing happened for a while today and nobody has mentioned, the Tories have pretty much stolen Ed Balls' economic manifesto to implement and are now deciding to join in with everybody else by wilfully loading debt onto future generations without a care in the World.

Fortunately Labour are in no position to take advantage of this and hammer home how pointless the whole austerity drive was, because they really should do.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Most outrageous thing happened for a while today and nobody has mentioned, the Tories have pretty much stolen Ed Balls' economic manifesto to implement and are now deciding to join in with everybody else by wilfully loading debt onto future generations without a care in the World.

Fortunately Labour are in no position to take advantage of this and hammer home how pointless the whole austerity drive was, because they really should do.

Fair point Matt but rather superficial and shallow compared to my in depth and incisive comments above.

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

Austerity was never about 'balancing the books'; It was an ideological attack on the Welfare State, as we on the left told you at the time.

Welcome to the real world, Matt.

Archived