Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Livid

Stadium prepared for the egg chasers!

Cut to the crowd at any given point during celebrations of a goal or a try and tell me there's more excitement and passion at the rugby. They showed it on TV last weekend, when Wales scored against England people in "the biggest group game in history" were just sat there clapping.

I could link you all manner of videos but I know you watch a single one. I've been a season ticket holder at tigers since I was 8 weeks old, I only really became a city fan 4 or so years ago I used to hate the game but grew to love football. I've only had the pleasure of going to Leicester v Brighton (1-4), Leicester v Palace (0-1) and Leicester v Chelsea (1-3) so sadly I've never seen the foxes win live (I think I'm bad luck) , and although the atmosphere was incredible when we went 1 up to Chelsea, when tigers won the European cup in Paris way back when, and the when they won the premiership final in 2010 and then 2013, the atmosphere was not even worth comparing. Better than the Olympics and the British grand Prix, both known for their atmosphere, both I've been too. I understand when we lost to palace the atmosphere won't be good but it really was poor, as is a Tigers v Newcastle game for example.

I could link you all manner of videos but I know you watch a single one. I've been a season ticket holder at tigers since I was 8 weeks old, I only really became a city fan 4 or so years ago I used to hate the game but grew to love football. I've only had the pleasure of going to Leicester v Brighton (1-4), Leicester v Palace (0-1) and Leicester v Chelsea (1-3) so sadly I've never seen the foxes win live (I think I'm bad luck) , and although the atmosphere was incredible when we went 1 up to Chelsea, when tigers won the European cup in Paris way back when, and the when they won the premiership final in 2010 and then 2013, the atmosphere was not even worth comparing. Better than the Olympics and the British grand Prix, both known for their atmosphere, both I've been too. I understand when we lost to palace the atmosphere won't be good but it really was poor, as is a Tigers v Newcastle game for example.

I respect that some people just prefer rugby over football and I'm fine with it, but looking in from the outside there's just no "edge" to it, everything too friendly, all the passion is on the pitch not off it. 

I respect that some people just prefer rugby over football and I'm fine with it, but looking in from the outside there's just no "edge" to it, everything too friendly, all the passion is on the pitch not off it.

I don't prefer one game to another if I'm honest, I have a huge passion for them both, but saying the atmosphere at a rugby match is poor is a craaaaazy comment. Interesting you say that as that's the main reason I like rugby, you can have a beer watching the game with someone from the other team having banter with them without a fight starting, each to their own though

Much prefer the Rugby crowd and players. But it's a different sort of passion. For football, there is certainly more passion, although this could be due to the fact their lives would be empty without the sport and the very excessive alcohol.

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation to rub people up the wrong way. 

Some of you are mad, honestly this will bring loads of money to the city, as far as I know all the games have been sold out which is big considering Canada v Romania is tiny. Welford road does not meet RWC guidelines due to the pitch not being long enough (small try and dead ball areas) but they wanted to give Leicester games due to the tigers being so big, KP is perfect for it. As for rugby fans having no passion, I can only presume you've never been to a match as for me, there is just as much passion in rugby as football, you just have to get to a good match, England vs Wales last week for example

The same England Wales game where the home fans sang sweet low swing chariot at the volume of a whisper about a hundred times. Even at the climax of that boring game the noise from the fans was less than a third of what you get down the kit kat crescent when York win a throw in half way inside their own half. And that's supposed to be rugby at its best? I've been more entertained by watching a cat drink water from a bowl than I was during that game, and I don't even like cats.

The same England Wales game where the home fans sang sweet low swing chariot at the volume of a whisper about a hundred times. Even at the climax of that boring game the noise from the fans was less than a third of what you get down the kit kat crescent when York win a throw in half way inside their own half. And that's supposed to be rugby at its best? I've been more entertained by watching a cat drink water from a bowl than I was during that game, and I don't even like cats.

England's football teams atmosphere is soooooouch better though isn't it. Its your point of view mate, TV doesn't show it all, we know that from watching our games on TV. I went to Wales v Uruguay 2 weeks back and the atmosphere was mental, watch it back on tale and it doesn't show

Close the thread.

Rugby is a game for blokes who can't play football.

The fans are like Christians and Jazz lovers, they think they're superior in a smug patronising way.

God knows what you're like if you're a rugby playing Christian that likes Jazz!

Football is the beautiful game, it has high passion and is at times like an art form.

To me there is no comparison.

But hey, as many say on here, it's all a matter of opinion.

Some of you are mad, honestly this will bring loads of money to the city, as far as I know all the games have been sold out which is big considering Canada v Romania is tiny. Welford road does not meet RWC guidelines due to the pitch not being long enough (small try and dead ball areas) but they wanted to give Leicester games due to the tigers being so big, KP is perfect for it. As for rugby fans having no passion, I can only presume you've never been to a match as for me, there is just as much passion in rugby as football, you just have to get to a good match, England vs Wales last week for example

How is the pitch big enough for the two times European Champions and TEN time English champions but too small for an international game?

It's all about $$$$

How is the pitch big enough for the two times European Champions and TEN time English champions but too small for an international game?

It's all about $$$$

Irony is, with the new stand being built it is now long enough, but the dead ball area is non existent at welford road, its such a small pitch, its got nothing to do with money

It's all about $$$$

I asked this the other day but having looked at it apparently international rugby has slightly different pitch size restrictions to the premiership, slightly bigger and tigers is out by about two yards.

I asked this the other day but having looked at it apparently international rugby has slightly different pitch size restrictions to the premiership, slightly bigger and tigers is out by about two yards.

"The smallest criteria is 95x68m yet Welford Road's pitch is only 91m long." I find it very very odd that if they wanted it in Leicester for the Tigers then they could have held it there like they did for the 1999 Rugby World Cup. Nothing to do with the eight thousand plus more seats, corporate hospitality that is offered et al. 

As for rugby fans having no passion, I can only presume you've never been to a match as for me, there is just as much passion in rugby as football, you just have to get to a good match, England vs Wales last week for example

But comparing passion at rugby with England v wales is not the same as a premier league game at Welford Road.

I went 3 times a few seasons back and one game was a play off semi final so you'd think they were up for it.

Cat stand all games, they score a try and no one jumps up, just a polite clap, the opposition get a penalty and you could here a pin drop.

What's that all about? The opponents have a chance to get points and the home side are helping them by being quite, a pen in football and everyone behind the goal is making a noise, waving arms trying to put the away team off.

Then the rules, no one understands at all, the ref just gives what he thinks, oh a scrum, oh a penalty. Another thing, the opponents put the ball out of play, so you have a throw in or whatever it's called but you can't throw it to your man, it has to go down the centre. Eh?

Then if you dig deep enough in history the whole Web Ellis picking a football up and running with it at Rugby school by some is referred to as a myth, like Robin Hood.

Now it's even worse for stop start with all the video replays sometimes after a ref has blown for a decision as well.

As for above about having a beer while watching it and you can't at football, see 1970's,80's football hooligans for the answer, Thatcher then changed the law on it. The gentleman in dapper outer wear at rugby are more civilised than the stone island lot at football.;)

I'd have gone for the fact it's in our city but not at those prices, try as I may I can't seem to get into rugby. Each to their own and that.

So you hate Rugby so that's alright? big of a narrow minded way to look at things. Tigers couldn't use there as they are having work done on it. Has it really disrupted ours? ok we have a few away games in a row that will probably help us in the long run!

Just chill out and embrace change you never know you might like it!

Tigers work just happens to be ongoing now, they knew about the World Cup years ago and as far back as 6 years I think they were planning new stands, as said elsewhere it's the pitch size and facilities why it's not there, which given the time they could've addressed long ago.

But comparing passion at rugby with England v wales is not the same as a premier league game at Welford Road.

I went 3 times a few seasons back and one game was a play off semi final so you'd think they were up for it.

Cat stand all games, they score a try and no one jumps up, just a polite clap, the opposition get a penalty and you could here a pin drop.

What's that all about? The opponents have a chance to get points and the home side are helping them by being quite, a pen in football and everyone behind the goal is making a noise, waving arms trying to put the away team off.

Then the rules, no one understands at all, the ref just gives what he thinks, oh a scrum, oh a penalty. Another thing, the opponents put the ball out of play, so you have a throw in or whatever it's called but you can't throw it to your man, it has to go down the centre. Eh?

Then if you dig deep enough in history the whole Web Ellis picking a football up and running with it at Rugby school by some is referred to as a myth, like Robin Hood.

Now it's even worse for stop start with all the video replays sometimes after a ref has blown for a decision as well.

As for above about having a beer while watching it and you can't at football, see 1970's,80's football hooligans for the answer, Thatcher then changed the law on it. The gentleman in dapper outer wear at rugby are more civilised than the stone island lot at football.;)

I'd have gone for the fact it's in our city but not at those prices, try as I may I can't seem to get into rugby. Each to their own and that.

Tigers work just happens to be ongoing now, they knew about the World Cup years ago and as far back as 6 years I think they were planning new stands, as said elsewhere it's the pitch size and facilities why it's not there, which given the time they could've addressed long ago.

That's because rugby is a 'gentleman's game', its all about respect, if your shouting "YOUR A **** YOU'LL MISS" then you look like an idiot, wheres the respect in that? Its sport not a warzone!

It's easy to say you don't get the rules if you don't follow the game, in the same way I have no idea about the rules to Gaelic football, I understand everything that's going on, although every person in the rugby world would agree with you in the video refs, pain in the backside that is

Oh and about the line outs, even though you throw it down the muddle you'll most likely win it as you know which man its going to when they dont, could be front, middle or back, that's all like training ground stuff that forwards work on week in week out

As someone who has actually played Rugby professionally I have to say some of the comments on here are hilarious. I love both these sports. Football for the sheer spectacle and pantomime, and that is not just during the season. Rugby for it's passion and variety. I honestly feel the current Leicester team have the attitude of a Rugby team from the early 2000s when the game was at its best. That is why we are doing so well. Since those glory days, Rugby is still a great game but the players involved these days are extremely arrogant and egotistical for the most part which has really put me off playing again. However Football has always had these types of characters but that is what we expect and in a weird way it's all part of the entertainment. Both sports have their good and bad elements.

For those who say Rugby is boring, you clearly haven't watched it enough. It is the most technical sport on the planet with the widest variety of athletes. Yes there can be boring games, but Football is exactly the same at times, slow and dull...it just depends on the day. A fast, exciting Rugby game is a thrill to watch with the offloads and support lines. Just like a fast counter attacking Football match is thrilling. Fortunately we are blessed with this current Leicester team. For those fools suggesting Rugby is dull, I suggest you go watch the All Blacks play live, or try playing against them.

That's because rugby is a 'gentleman's game', its all about respect, if your shouting "YOUR A **** YOU'LL MISS" then you look like an idiot, wheres the respect in that? Its sport not a warzone!

It's easy to say you don't get the rules if you don't follow the game, in the same way I have no idea about the rules to Gaelic football, I understand everything that's going on, although every person in the rugby world would agree with you in the video refs, pain in the backside that is

Oh and about the line outs, even though you throw it down the muddle you'll most likely win it as you know which man its going to when they dont, could be front, middle or back, that's all like training ground stuff that forwards work on week in week out

Cricket is a gentleman's game, a game where punching people repeatedly in the head, constant concussions, and full on 15 vs 15 bare knuckle fist fight break out for no reason, is not what I'd call a 'gentleman's game'.  

Close the thread.

Rugby is a game for blokes who can't play football.

The fans are like Christians and Jazz lovers, they think they're superior in a smug patronising way.

God knows what you're like if you're a rugby playing Christian that likes Jazz!

Football is the beautiful game, it has high passion and is at times like an art form.

To me there is no comparison.

But hey, as many say on here, it's all a matter of opinion.

Are you being ironic or are you that ignorant?

As someone who has actually played Rugby professionally I have to say some of the comments on here are hilarious. I love both these sports. Football for the sheer spectacle and pantomime, and that is not just during the season. Rugby for it's passion and variety. I honestly feel the current Leicester team have the attitude of a Rugby team from the early 2000s when the game was at its best. That is why we are doing so well. Since those glory days, Rugby is still a great game but the players involved these days are extremely arrogant and egotistical for the most part which has really put me off playing again. However Football has always had these types of characters but that is what we expect and in a weird way it's all part of the entertainment. Both sports have their good and bad elements.

For those who say Rugby is boring, you clearly haven't watched it enough. It is the most technical sport on the planet with the widest variety of athletes. Yes there can be boring games, but Football is exactly the same at times, slow and dull...it just depends on the day. A fast, exciting Rugby game is a thrill to watch with the offloads and support lines. Just like a fast counter attacking Football match is thrilling. Fortunately we are blessed with this current Leicester team. For those fools suggesting Rugby is dull, I suggest you go watch the All Blacks play live, or try playing against them.

Someone with sense, who did you play for?

That's because rugby is a 'gentleman's game', its all about respect,

What part of gentlemen's games is putting blood capsules in your mouth to fake an injury then?

I get your line out training ground stuff, just think it's odd the opponent kicks it out yet you can't pass it to your own player, rather like after they scored, you hoof it back to them and are then defending.

My look on it, it turned pro not that long ago, the world cups been running a very short time, whereas football has about 100 years on rugby at the top level. Yes in 2115 rugby union, World Cup etc might be as big as football but just now it's not.

If you like it, fill your boots, it's just not got the atmosphere of football at league level, yes top World Cup games might be different but from the few I've seen at Welford Road it's not a patch on football.

What part of gentlemen's games is putting blood capsules in your mouth to fake an injury then?

I get your line out training ground stuff, just think it's odd the opponent kicks it out yet you can't pass it to your own player, rather like after they scored, you hoof it back to them and are then defending.

My look on it, it turned pro not that long ago, the world cups been running a very short time, whereas football has about 100 years on rugby at the top level. Yes in 2115 rugby union, World Cup etc might be as big as football but just now it's not.

If you like it, fill your boots, it's just not got the atmosphere of football at league level, yes top World Cup games might be different but from the few I've seen at Welford Road it's not a patch on football.

The weekly games no. The stadiums generally don't have the capacity. But the atmosphere is still great. Where it does match Football is the big European games, crowds of 80'000 regularly turn out for those in the big stadiums.

Archived