Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Livid

Stadium prepared for the egg chasers!

So how many are actually in the KP?

Why couldn't they use Welford Rd?

The owners don't even get the benefit of marketing the KP brand.

29000 went, they can't use Welford Rd because the pitch it too short, changing rooms too small & media facilities too crap.

Owners get a nice fat rental fee from the World Cup

29000 for a game 2 of the lesser teams is not a bad shout, as for not playing at Welford Road, they have played games at Kingsholm ffs, whatever its failings Welford Road is a famous rugby ground and players would want a game at a world famous rugby ground rather than a converted football stadium. All cricketers want to play at Lords but they don't pull matches because the ground has a 9 ft slope.

29000 for a game 2 of the lesser teams is not a bad shout, as for not playing at Welford Road, they have played games at Kingsholm ffs, whatever its failings Welford Road is a famous rugby ground and players would want a game at a world famous rugby ground rather than a converted football stadium. All cricketers want to play at Lords but they don't pull matches because the ground has a 9 ft slope.

the pitch wasn't big enough, a fairly fundamental problem no? Tigers had by far the smallest pitch in the Premiership, they are extending it during the renovations though

Tis' abit of a joke one of the best Rugby teams in the country can't hold a World Cup match.

As for pitch extension, havn't we had to extend our pitch? We've certainly added astoturf round the edges to accomodate these world cup games, how long have we known this country was holding the World Cup? Could we (The country/The powers that be to do with the bid/Tigers) not prepare to sort Welford Road to host games?

I ain't gonna get arsey about it, it is happening, and it doesn't bother me that much but I believe all my points above stand.

they had long enough to get their ground up to scratch and decided financially it wasn't worth it

The FA would never have let that happen, they'd have stumped up money for the stadium upgrades needed. Shows the RFU up as a bit of a joke.

The FA would never have let that happen, they'd have stumped up money for the stadium upgrades needed. Shows the RFU up as a bit of a joke.

the RFU grants weren't enough so still would have cost Tigers too much money

they had long enough to get their ground up to scratch and decided financially it wasn't worth it

The amount of effort and turnaround to our ground can't have been cheap I know, with remerchandising, payment to host games there, e.t.c

Besides if the Tigers are extending there pitch during renovations as you've said above wouldn't it have been better and cheaper to kill two birds with one stone? The Rugby FA ( lol Whatever it is...RFU? :dunno:) give Tigers abit of a grant and Tigers pay the rest? :dunno:

The amount of effort and turnaround to our ground can't have been cheap I know, with remerchandising, payment to host games there, e.t.c

Besides if the Tigers are extending there pitch during renovations as you've said above wouldn't it have been better and cheaper to kill two birds with one stone? The Rugby FA ( lol Whatever it is...RFU? :dunno:) give Tigers abit of a grant and Tigers pay the rest? :dunno:

I can see what you are saying, but I guess they felt it wasn't worth doing... spending all that money, they aren't like us who have pretty much the foundations in place, their ground would have needed far more work.

so £50k (probably much much less) to rebrand the ground + a hiring fee as opposed to millions to building 2 stands extending a pitch and then hire the ground from Tigers for the games, you really can't see home much cheaper it was to hire the KP for these 3 games

I'm pretty sure I watched a World Cup game at welford road in 99. Rules must've changed.

they did pitch length and media facilities are far more key now, back then Rugby Union had only been a pro sport for 2 years

so £50k to rebrand the ground + a hiring fee as opposed to millions to building 2 stands extending a pitch and then hire the ground from Tigers for the games, you really can't see home much cheaper it was to hire the KP for these 3 games

I'd be surprised if it only cost £50k to rebrand our ground, I can't believe how much work has gone into turning our ground around, like I say i'm not exactly that bothered, i'm simply just making the comment.

Of course it is cheaper though, however my point is, the Tigers were redeveloping their stadium anyway, so you'd think the RFU would help them out, I understand Rugby is a 'poor' sport, not as much funding or money is in the game but like Facecloth has said the FA would never let that happen.

At the end of the day this world cup has cost the country alot of money, will they make it back? Doubt it especially now England have flopped. Did we really need it?

Atleast the OIympics left abit of a legacy.

Due to the flop of the national side, I can't see the game (Or country) being boosted from this.

For the same reason's I don't think I ever want a football world cup here.

(I've gone off on a tangent there, appologies! lol)

you seem to forget the decision was made 5 years ago, Tigers had just built what was called the CAT stand and weren't willing to go heavily into debt for 3, THREE world cup games when they weren't even certain that they would fill their current 24000 most weeks, which they didn't for several years, only recently did they see it as worth while to build the new stand on Aylestone Road and you seem to forget (or just don't know) the RFU don't help out like the FA do, they can't, why would the FA help Tigers anyway?

you seem to forget the decision was made 5 years ago, Tigers had just built what was called the CAT stand and weren't willing to go heavily into debt for 3, THREE world cup games when they weren't even certain that they would fill their current 24000 most weeks, which they didn't for several years, only recently did they see it as worth while to build the new stand on Aylestone Road and you seem to forget (or just don't know) the RFU don't help out like the FA do, they can't, why would the FA help Tigers anyway?

They wouldn't.

I was meaning if Leicester (The football club) were to hold a football world cup game and needed to upgrade the stadium the FA would chip in, or alternatively just go elsewhere.

They wouldn't.

I was meaning if Leicester (The football club) were to hold a football world cup game and needed to upgrade the stadium the FA would chip in, or alternatively just go elsewhere.

that's what the RFU did, they went elsewhere whilst staying with the boundaries of their biggest domestic club

that's what the RFU did, they went elsewhere whilst staying with the boundaries of their biggest domestic club

You've got me there.

I'm not even sure why i'm arguing the toss because it doesn't really bother me (Unless we turn up in a couple of weeks and the pitch is like a farmers field - That would bother me.) but my main point was simply that one of the biggest Rugby teams in the country couldn't hold a world cup game, that says alot about the state of the game imo.

Maradona seems to like sports where you use your feet and your hands. If anyone is wondering if it was their seat he was in it'll be easy to tell, just look for white powder on the floor beneath.

Hope he was humbled by the pictures of Banks and Lineker around the ground, you can be World Class without being a cheat.

You have to remember as well that, although Tigers are upgrading the facilities (pitch extension, new stand, etc.) that it is this break in play which is allowing them to do so with as little disruption as possible. The old building was still up at the end of last season, and I believe they are hoping the new stand will be ready for their second league game.

Archived