Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Livid

Stadium prepared for the egg chasers!

What part of gentlemen's games is putting blood capsules in your mouth to fake an injury then?

I get your line out training ground stuff, just think it's odd the opponent kicks it out yet you can't pass it to your own player, rather like after they scored, you hoof it back to them and are then defending.

My look on it, it turned pro not that long ago, the world cups been running a very short time, whereas football has about 100 years on rugby at the top level. Yes in 2115 rugby union, World Cup etc might be as big as football but just now it's not.

If you like it, fill your boots, it's just not got the atmosphere of football at league level, yes top World Cup games might be different but from the few I've seen at Welford Road it's not a patch on football.

You named an event that happend years ago now every sport has his corruption I don't need to get started on football, it is the most corrupt sport around full stop.

No I agree with you football is more popular I'm not disputing that, remember I like both the same, but people who are against the sport bringing good money not only into the city but to the football team are delusional, I'd let the world cup of croquet happen at KP if it meant we got more money

Someone with sense, who did you play for?

I played internationally at age grade level and 7s. Played for a team in the Premiership before injury and personal factors caused me to stop playing. I would give more info but don't want certain people to find me on here ha!

The thing that puts me off rugby is there are so many subjective rules and some of them seem so minor and often accidental yet gives the other team an easy 3 points when it seems  incredibly hard sometimes  to score a try. You get teams winning by virtue of a few penalties resulting from those minor infringements over a team that's  scored one, two or more tries.

Although I can enjoy watching I just find it so frustrating that I tend to not bother.

The weekly games no. The stadiums generally don't have the capacity. But the atmosphere is still great. Where it does match Football is the big European games, crowds of 80'000 regularly turn out for those in the big stadiums.

I suppose you do have a valid point there.

But England's game against Wales didn't thrill me that much as tries were few and far between, seemed to be penalty kicks mostly and that won't get the crowd going like some 19 stone gorilla running 40 yards for a try.

You named an event that happend years ago now every sport has his corruption I don't need to get started on football, it is the most corrupt sport around full stop.

No I agree with you football is more popular I'm not disputing that, remember I like both the same, but people who are against the sport bringing good money not only into the city but to the football team are delusional, I'd let the world cup of croquet happen at KP if it meant we got more money

No doubt football is corrupt in parts but I never said it was a gentlemens game, you said rugby was.

As for at KP, the pitch will be fine, I'm not against it and had it been better priced I'd have gone just to experience it. But as a sport, I'd sooner go to the speedway or Riders. Others have different opinions and rightly so.

I think everyone on here has valid views.

I was a tall fat kid growing up so football was not an option and I love rugby as a game where all shapes and sizes (and generally not that good) people can run around and fall over. The team spirit is also excellent. I follow Tigers and City with a real passion. I am also avidly following England in the World Cup and will be going tomorrow.

I do, however, see the divide between the two sports. When I had the chance to follow lcfc in the late 80's and early 90's I can honestly say I have never experienced an atmosphere at a rugby match that compares to going to a football match. The wit and humour (sometimes a bit nasty..) of the football crowd is untouchable and the passion and energy that explodes when a goal is scored in football is unbeatable, that doesn't tend to exist in the same way in rugby. I honestly tire of hearing th dirge that is 'swing low' when I am at the England games (partly because no one really knows more than the first line - id rather they sang 'jerusalem').

Having said that. I can enjoy watching almost anyone playing rugby but unless it is Leicester I don't have much interest in football as a game.

Funny how the two games seem to polarise people here but you would find the same on the Tigers Forum (but in not half as funny as a way as on here, hence my comment on wit).

I guess I'm lucky to come from a town with 2 such great sporting teams!

Don't care how much money this is worth tbh. Hate rugby and it's stuck up fans. Think it's ridiculous when you ignore the stadium of one of the biggest rugby teams in the country right around the corner and instead disrupt ours. We may offer a few extra seats, but is this actually anywhere near selling out?

THE PITCH AT WELFORD ROAD DOESNT MEET WRC DIMENSIONS AND THE FACILITIES ARE NOT UP TO SCRATCH. DOMT YOU EFFING READ YOU ABSOLUTE WALLY?

I played internationally at age grade level and 7s. Played for a team in the Premiership before injury and personal factors caused me to stop playing. I would give more info but don't want certain people to find me on here ha!

Bit more than my £15-20 a week then!Lad from our team went to Bedford and London Irish but you're up another few levels.

THE PITCH AT WELFORD ROAD DOESNT MEET WRC DIMENSIONS AND THE FACILITIES ARE NOT UP TO SCRATCH. DOMT YOU EFFING READ YOU ABSOLUTE WALLY?

Yeah and we had to modify ours and make it bigger to meet WRC requirements. Whats your point?

As someone who has actually played Rugby professionally I have to say some of the comments on here are hilarious. I love both these sports. Football for the sheer spectacle and pantomime, and that is not just during the season. Rugby for it's passion and variety. I honestly feel the current Leicester team have the attitude of a Rugby team from the early 2000s when the game was at its best. That is why we are doing so well. Since those glory days, Rugby is still a great game but the players involved these days are extremely arrogant and egotistical for the most part which has really put me off playing again. However Football has always had these types of characters but that is what we expect and in a weird way it's all part of the entertainment. Both sports have their good and bad elements.

For those who say Rugby is boring, you clearly haven't watched it enough. It is the most technical sport on the planet with the widest variety of athletes. Yes there can be boring games, but Football is exactly the same at times, slow and dull...it just depends on the day. A fast, exciting Rugby game is a thrill to watch with the offloads and support lines. Just like a fast counter attacking Football match is thrilling. Fortunately we are blessed with this current Leicester team. For those fools suggesting Rugby is dull, I suggest you go watch the All Blacks play live, or try playing against them.

Can't say I've ever seen a 'fast' rugby game. They're all painfully slow. You can't even throw the ball forwards. The rules are so complex not even the players understand them, never mind the viewers. It all just serves to slow the game down, you rarely get more than 20 seconds of play before they've all fallen on top of each other and they have to do that bend over and touch the ball restart thing. Or the arms around each other and push hard into the other team scrum thing. Or the lift your teammate up by his arse line out thing. Stop, touch each other, stop, touch each other. That's the whole sport in a nutshell. Then head up town after - "fancy dress tonight lads, what theme shall it be this week, oh I know, let's go for a gay theme" "what you mean same as last week" "and the week before" "and the week before" "and the week before"

Scrum on down for the Rugby World Cup in Leicester

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: October 03, 2015

11073918-large.jpg

Comments (0)

It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming... um, rugby's coming home. Well, as near as dammit, anyway. Just 22 miles separate Leicester from the playing fields of the public school in Rugby where legend has it the game first began.

So, for the 2015 Rugby World Cup, Leicester has the distinction of being the host city closest to the birthplace of a sport which grew to become loved around the globe. Or bits of it, at least.

With the Welford Road home of the Tigers ruled out as a venue for the tournament, to the lasting dismay of rugby romantics, the temporarily-renamed Leicester City Stadium stages the first of three World Cup games this weekend.

Tomorrow, Argentina take on Tonga. On Tuesday, it's Canada versus Romania, and the following Sunday, Argentina return to face Namibia.

You're right, they're not the most pulse-quickening fixtures in the opening stages, but what the hell. It's the World Cup, and they're on, here, right on our doorstep.

But there's more to the World Cup than human versions of The Transformers smacking into each other with the kind of force that would make the rest of us cough up a hip.

This weekend, for instance, Leicester is hosting a festival of rugby. There's live music and dance in Humberstone Gate today and tomorrow, giving a taste of all the teams playing at the Stadium Formerly Known As The King Power, with jazz and samba and more, and a "performance dome", no less in Jubilee Square, with storytelling, children's theatre and South African percussion and dance.

Rugby%20world%20cup%20glow.jpg

There's a carnival procession through the city this evening with stilt walkers and glowy costumes and all manner of cor-blimey whatnottery, leaving New Walk Museum and heading for Vicky Park's Fanzone.

The Fanzone has three covered grandstands and a huge screen that's almost three Martin Johnsons tall and nearly five Martin Johnsons wide.

There's food and drink and a bar – and it's showing all the live matches between today and next weekend.

If you get your skates on, you can take the kids to a Haka workshop at the Pork Pie library this morning – or simply watch it in the city from 1pm tomorrow.

There's slapstick street theatre, with a never-ending rugby match swerving through the city today, tomorrow and on Monday.

British artist Ravi Deepres uses mini-cams, drones and 3D laser scanner to take you into the bruising battleground of the modern game with an exhibition called The Gain Line at the Phoenix, which is running from now until November 29.

If you can't face the knuckle-gnawing tension of England's high-stakes clash with Australia this evening, the Bardi Symphony Orchestra is performing the music from across the rugby nations, building to a Proms-style finale.

Tomorrow, at 12.30pm, dancers schooled by Strictly Come Dancing star Camilla Dallerup will perform a tango at Leicester's railway station.

Invictus.jpg

Next Thursday, there's a screening of the Rugby World Cup flick, Invictus, staring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon, but before that, on Monday, there's a production with a twist at the Y Theatre.

John Godber's Up N Under is performed by seven cast members who have been rehearsed in secret, individually, by director Shawn Belyea, of Seattle's 14/48 festival, and who will be dotted among the crowd, unknown to each other until the play begins. To help hide them in the crowd, the audience has been invited to turn up wearing rugby tops and sports clobber.

Shawn's come over from the States. It's the least you can do in return.

Anyway, that's just a taster. For the full listings for the Rugby World Cup in the city, see:www.visitleicester.info

PS Dear rugby players. Please don't screw up the King Power pitch. Warm regards, Leicester City fans.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Scrum-Rugby-World-Cup-Leicester/story-27910458-detail/story.html#ixzz3nUqLxBl1 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

It would appear that there are very few people on here that can appreciate both sports.

I grew up playing rugby but watching football.

Football, as a spectator sport is by far the best for experience, in my opinion.  I get excited more by the thought of going to a football match.  The atmosphere, the passion, everything about it is electric for me.

But as a rugby player I got those same feelings playing.  I think unless you're a rugby player or from a rugby playing family then you're never going to understand how rugby can affect you, it can have the same buzz as football.

I care more about Leicester City than I do Leicester Tigers, but I care more about the English rugby team than I do about the English football team.

I think someone has already said something similar, modern day rugby players are becoming more and more like footballers, but Rugby for me is how sport should be.  Those against rugby will always bring up phrases about thugs, the stop start nature, the rule book bigger than war and peace.  Rugby for me, whilst playing, was passion, determination, doing anything you could to win a game, gain an edge, let your opponent know that you were bigger, stronger, faster, smarter.  But you always had respect for them.  And what happened on the pitch stayed on the pitch.  That behaviour carries to the stands and that's why there is no chanting or getting upset with a refereeing decision. It takes something away from the atmosphere but it is all about respect.

I would love to see a rugby official in charge of a premier league game, imagine the up roar because Wayne Rooney got sent off for swearing at the ref!

I think someone has already said something similar, modern day rugby players are becoming more and more like footballers, but Rugby for me is how sport should be.  Those against rugby will always bring up phrases about thugs, the stop start nature, the rule book bigger than war and peace.  Rugby for me, whilst playing, was passion, determination, doing anything you could to win a game, gain an edge, let your opponent know that you were bigger, stronger, faster, smarter.  But you always had respect for them.  And what happened on the pitch stayed on the pitch.  That behaviour carries to the stands and that's why there is no chanting or getting upset with a refereeing decision. It takes something away from the atmosphere but it is all about respect.

I would love to see a rugby official in charge of a premier league game, imagine the up roar because Wayne Rooney got sent off for swearing at the ref!

I was refereeing a few years ago at Castle Donington and there was a rugby match taking place the other side of the field. My game had finished and I was walking back to the car, just as the referee for the rugby match blew full time. All of the players stood and gave the referee a guard of honour off the pitch in the direction of the changing rooms, I was so shocked I thought they were taking the piss lol

Is there a game there today. If so the Kings will be packed. Are England also playing?

The game at the King Power is tomorrow at about half 2 I think. England are playing Australia tonight at 8.

Can't say I've ever seen a 'fast' rugby game. They're all painfully slow. You can't even throw the ball forwards. The rules are so complex not even the players understand them, never mind the viewers. It all just serves to slow the game down, you rarely get more than 20 seconds of play before they've all fallen on top of each other and they have to do that bend over and touch the ball restart thing. Or the arms around each other and push hard into the other team scrum thing. Or the lift your teammate up by his arse line out thing. Stop, touch each other, stop, touch each other. That's the whole sport in a nutshell. Then head up town after - "fancy dress tonight lads, what theme shall it be this week, oh I know, let's go for a gay theme" "what you mean same as last week" "and the week before" "and the week before" "and the week before"

Don't understand the whole "players don't understand the rules never mind the viewers" that's a ridiculous statement, Im fairly confident I know ALL the rules considering I've played it since i was 8. I get that from an outsider its just a mess but if you like/follow/play the game you will obviously know the rules

Don't understand the whole "players don't understand the rules never mind the viewers" that's a ridiculous statement, Im fairly confident I know ALL the rules considering I've played it since i was 8. I get that from an outsider its just a mess but if you like/follow/play the game you will obviously know the rules

For players who "understand" the rules there sure are a lot of penalties. Makes you wonder about their mentality if they understand so clearly. Didn't Loughborough Colleges get 12 points from four penalties as their opening scores against the Tigers today? Four penalties! Imagine Vardy let loose on a rugby field! :D    

Archived