Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Paris Shootings

I'm pretty confident that his experience with guns and gun carrying individuals is about thrice ours combined,.

Only because the neighbours have armed guards, every security guard/soldier at the malls have AKs, someone fired rounds outside my house in Baltimore (oh and here last weekend), worked in conflict zones like Haiti, Liberia, North Kivu, South Sudan, Nigeria, Pakistan... Goodness I hate guns.

Well, guns are banned in the UK, as are drugs. Both make it in to the UK illegally. Yet, there are relatively few shootings. They are facts.

Your arguments also are based on opinions because the US hasn't banned guns, so it is difficult to get empirical evidence to back things up either way. Except the evidence from UK and Oz showing it can work...

There's also much less guns coming into the UK as we have a natural border stopping that from happening ( the ocean... it makes it much easier to control).

Your opinion.

Also, don't forget their isn't a federal registry of guns in the US, and ones bought privately or at fairs don't have background checks etc. So, there already difficult to trace guns etc.

Yes. It is my opinion . and that's why i said im 'pretty sure' and didn't make a sweeping statement.

There's also much less guns coming into the UK as we have a natural border stopping that from happening ( the ocean... it makes it much easier to control).

Of course, but then perhaps consider the rest of Europe. Per capita, much less guns (for the majority of the countries, a few exceptions), must be about the same number of crazy people, freedom of borders and relatively easy for weapons, yet shooting rates much lower.

The amount of weapons that have been in Europe are crazy, and many are still floating about. Most citizens don't have them, yet they are not all being killed by gun totting criminals.

Anyway, time for bed, our son has finally drifted off!

Of course, but then perhaps consider the rest of Europe. Per capita, much less guns (for the majority of the countries, a few exceptions), must be about the same number of crazy people, freedom of borders and relatively easy for weapons, yet shooting rates much lower.

The amount of weapons that have been in Europe are crazy, and many are still floating about. Most citizens don't have them, yet they are not all being killed by gun totting criminals.

Anyway, time for bed, our son has finally drifted off!

Have a good night, I hope he feels better soon!

:(

i'm trying to be respectful and cordial in the discussion!

I know! That's why I said it was nice talking to you!! I like the debate, I know people don't often change their point of view, but it's nice discussing the issues.

We probably won't move back to the US for a while, partly because of this issue. But we will be back at some point. Who knows what will have happened in that time. I might need to get a gun!!

Night!

Someone i used to know has now stopped attending football matches because of the threat of a terrorist attack. Bit far or do you think its actually likely?

Pretty sure it will happen at some point, but you can't organise your life around not going to events that might be hit by terrorism or you'll never leave the house.

You may as well be dead if you do that.

Someone i used to know has now stopped attending football matches because of the threat of a terrorist attack. Bit far or do you think its actually likely?

Hard one, really. It's very unlikely that he himself would be targeted  out of the hundreds of thousands of people who attend a football match every weekend... but i guess that's why they are called terrorists... because they strike fear and terror into some people...

I could name half a dozen places to get drugs in Baltimore and I've never even been there. The pit, Franklin terraces, the McCulloh homes, locust point, the towers etc

Hamsterdam.

Did nobody else watch MPH's Sandy Hook dad video?  

I'm surprised more isn't being made of the ludicrous claim that the right to bear arms is an inalienable right handed down by the big G himself despite it not even being on their bill of rights until the first round of amendments was made.  It can't be a biblical interpretation since no guns were present in biblical days so I'd like to know which holy messenger appeared unto the God fearing gentlefolk of the USA with this divine revelation.

I could name half a dozen places to get drugs in Baltimore and I've never even been there. The pit, Franklin terraces, the McCulloh homes, locust point, the towers etc

Hamsterdam.

lol! Obviously there are those places!

IRL (not including Hamsterdam) I wouldn't want to go to those places, they are pretty intimidating. Well, except Locust Point, it is pretty quiet down there. I've never seen anyone hanging out on corners.

If I was desperate for drugs I might, but then I'd probably have a supplier already. So, how does a normal person, with no criminal background or friends who do drugs, get drugs, or more pertinent to the thread, get a gun? They wouldn't. It would be too intimidating, they'd get ripped off by the supplier, they'd ask too many questions and someone would get suspicious, and generally they wouldn't know where to start.

Yes, drugs are illegal and they come across the border, but I had no idea where to get drugs from in Baltimore. It would be the same with guns. I wouldn't have a clue where to get one, and I wouldn't want to risk mixing with people who would be selling then.

Sure, criminals could get them, if they came up through the border. And they would use them on lawful citizens, but the majority of shootings by criminals would be against other criminals. As is the case right now, after the majority of shootings which are suicides.

What it would mean is that, a. Guns would be harder to get for everyone, but especially normal citizens, and b. That if people get annoyed, depressed or radicalised, it would be much harder for them to kill someone or themselves.

Is it too late to remove the guns? Of course not, that would be admitting defeat and saying the loss of 10's of thousands of lives each year means nothing. It's also giving into fear.

Having said that, I've got myself some non-lethal personal safety tools. I'll unload them all on the idiot that manages to get past my dogs.

go on the Darknet.

go on the Darknet.

lol. Again, not something an ordinary person would get right. They wouldn't use a TOR browser/VPN and would leave themselves open to being caught. That and even if you use TOR, the dark net is hidden, for a reason. When it was in the news a lot, I tried to find it, protecting myself of course, but I couldn't really find anything. Perhaps that is why Mi5 keep rejecting me!! But even if you did find someone selling guns/drugs whatever, it would be very risky to meet with them, which would be the most off putting thing for most people I'd imagine.

Archived