Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KievFox

Done and Dusted, 11 goals for Vardy

In essence you're right, but Puskas, Di Stefano et al had to play in much tougher conditions (ball, pitch, opposition defenders) than today's best players. The players might be more athletic these days but I'm not sure their records match what some players achieved 50 years ago.

Basically it's pointless comparing, as you stated.

It's impossible to compare, but no matter how much more primitive the game of yesteryear can sometimes look in footage, the best players of those times would still be the superstars of today if they were playing now. Their talent would shine all the brighter for all the advantages mentioned (better pitches, balls, sports science etc). 

Goes without saying him breaking the record is one of the best things many of us would have seen a player do so far supporting city, long may it continue, but does his season so far and his record put him up there with the great strikers from our past?

It's impossible to compare, but no matter how much more primitive the game of yesteryear can sometimes look in footage, the best players of those times would still be the superstars of today if they were playing now. Their talent would shine all the brighter for all the advantages mentioned (better pitches, balls, sports science etc).

Plus they may not have had the athleticism of today's players but there's no doubting their relative fitness it must have been energy sapping playing on those pitches and for all the modern day advantages how would they get on playing home and away on Christmas day and boxing day and then doing the same at easter they get upset playing Saturday and then Tuesday.

The Dunne stuff means nothing to me, to be honest. I'm not someone to completely dismiss history and nor do I think the Premier League is the best thing since toast but Dunne's record is as relevant to modern football as Sepp Blatter.

Sport in general, not just football, has changed so much, these old pre-war records are pointless.

I'd be disappointed if this Leicester side lost to Cruyff's Holland or Pele's Brazil, let alone Sheffield ****ing United from 1930. Pre-war top flight footballers probably wouldn't get in Boston United's side these days.

Once you start down that path football has lost his soul

Maybe you want a soulless sport

I love the history , it's the reason we fought to keep Birch at the club when he was dumped , very few of the crowd Saturday ever saw him play

On your thinking he is irrelevant as he wouldn't even get a trial at LCFC today !

Sad way to view this very historical sport !

being backed off the boards for PFA player of the year. jamie vardy! amazing.

Sad thing is at 35m this January and £125-150k Pw he might well be in another shade of blue or even red !

Would be sickening to see him sat beside Jose or LVG on his way to collect it !

But it looks inevitable if he scores another 5+ goals in Dec !

Pretty sure at no point did I say the history had no value. To continue the analogy I used, a friend and I dug out his old snes the other day and had a wail of a time.

All I'm saying is that Vardy and Van Nistelrooy and their respective records are comparable and relative. Vardy's and Dunne's are chalk and cheese.

They practically played a different sport.

I could only see Vardy leaving to go to Liverpool. He wouldn't fit in too well with Man U or Chelsea's style of play. They know this and could get better value spending elsewhere. Klopp though might admire Vardy's work rate, and if Sturridge/Ings can't keep fit, then why not get in Vardy.

Pretty sure at no point did I say the history had no value. To continue the analogy I used, a friend and I dug out his old snes the other day and had a wail of a time.

All I'm saying is that Vardy and Van Nistelrooy and their respective records are comparable and relative. Vardy's and Dunne's are chalk and cheese.

They practically played a different sport.

I'm sorry they are not different sports

I love going to watch non league football and very local games district football

They bare no comparison to Saturday's game , probably comparable to the time of Dunne

But I love it and it's football , real football

Elitist hash bag bollox is what's made top flight football so hard to stomach for many people outside the urban centres of this country.

I like to admire both types of football the elite games and the lads doing it for little reward !

If you don't appreciate and respect your history you have NO future !

I could only see Vardy leaving to go to Liverpool. He wouldn't fit in too well with Man U or Chelsea's style of play. They know this and could get better value spending elsewhere. Klopp though might admire Vardy's work rate, and if Sturridge/Ings can't keep fit, then why not get in Vardy.

They can't afford him 30-35m is the benchmark and 125k a week plus

His age and that commitment is too much for Liverpool at present , he is out of liverpools league at present

The Dunne stuff means nothing to me, to be honest. I'm not someone to completely dismiss history and nor do I think the Premier League is the best thing since toast but Dunne's record is as relevant to modern football as Sepp Blatter.

Sport in general, not just football, has changed so much, these old pre-war records are pointless.

I'd be disappointed if this Leicester side lost to Cruyff's Holland or Pele's Brazil, let alone Sheffield ****ing United from 1930. Pre-war top flight footballers probably wouldn't get in Boston United's side these days.

Yeah.

Even if the footballers themselves had the skill that we've developed now, the athleticism just wasn't there.

It absolutely baffles me when people say with a straight face that Messi and Ronaldo aren't the best the world has ever seen. It's a bit like saying your old amiga was better than the xbox one. You might have had a lot of fun on your amiga and it might have been excellent at the time but it's still about as powerful by today's standard as an ATM machine.

opinions, opinions, BUT....both of you forget something, something very important, that make your doubts on the

yesteryear teams or players defunk....

PUT those players into todays society and sporting training and medical infrastructure, then their

class would shine through, so what you believe they were missing, they would have now

Class is class, plus their learning circle and their harvesting and experience gathering, would give

them the platform to show their class.

And IMO that top Brazilian side in the 70s, would still be a match for any side today...

Just opinions, and like Davie.G eloquently put.... impossible comparisons

opinions, opinions, BUT....both of you forget something, something very important, that make your doubts on the

PUT those players into todays society and sporting training and medical infrastructure, then their

class would shine through, so what you believe they were missing, they would have now

Class is class, plus their learning circle and their harvesting and experience gathering, would give

And IMO that top Brazilian side in the 70s, would still be a match for any side today...

Very good point !

Very good point !

No it's not, it's a completely irrelevant point.

I appreciate what you're saying, I actually agree, I'm sure if Pele or Maradona or Cruyff had the advantage of modern sports science and fitness practices then they'd probably be even better players. Definitely.

But they didn't. They played on swamps with leather balls that weighed fifty tones and concrete boots welded on with steel. They were admirable in their own way. But the game was still pretty much unrecognisable.

Why on earth would he even think of leaving ?? and he`s on a long term contract, he MAY go at some point but absolutely NOT in January !!!

That's logic your using and I hope your right , your logic is sound

The premier league is a mad house and illogical !

5 or more goals in December and the money that he will be offered may be too much for a man turning 29 and only been on the big bucks a couple of years

Money talks , we either match the offers or he is likely to be gone

I hope I'm so so wrong

Maybe I'm being a pessimist ,

But chelsea and United are desperate !

No it's not, it's a completely irrelevant point.

I appreciate what you're saying, I actually agree, I'm sure if Pele or Maradona or Cruyff had the advantage of modern sports science and fitness practices then they'd probably be even better players. Definitely.

But they didn't. They played on swamps with leather balls that weighed fifty tones and concrete boots welded on with steel. They were admirable in their own way. But the game was still pretty much unrecognisable.

I love these tit for tats...Another thing you forgot, alot of these players would not of played more than 20% of their football on or in boggy swamp conditions, either league or International games.

Dunne most likely as a Sheffield conscript, yes more like 60%, but even in England in Winter they had favourable weather conditions, while soggy pitches through black and white images, are relevant points from our grandads/great grandads era, they did have sun, its not a modern invention..!!

My father and uncle used to remind me of a coincidence, that they saw S.Mathews more in good weather conditions but remembered fondley, of a game they saw together, where the rain was horizontal and the ground treacle, how mathews, from his own half took the ball from his own half, beat 5 men dribbled around 5 ducks (their joke), put in a cross that the wind took back to the halfway line, so he did it all over again, but the ducks were bigger cos they had grown more because of the water and feed in the ground.

They always said it is comical but it was the cup games and winter league games

in freezing cold conditions they always remember.Especially when my mam and auntie told them,

'You go down to a football match in this hellish weather, we ask you to go down the shops, to pick somethings up, no way its raining/snowing'

My dad and uncle always replied...but there are at least 8 pubs and 4 fish n chip shops,

to find refuge underway....ahhh the gud ol days!!!!

I love these tit for tats...Another thing you forgot, alot of these players would not of played more than 20% of their

football on or in boggy swamp conditions, either league or International games.

Dunne most likely as a Sheffield conscript, yes more like 60%, but even in England in Winter they had favourable

weather conditions, while soggy pitches through black and white images, are relevant points

from our grandads/great grandads era, they did have sun, its not a modern invention..!!

My father and uncle used to remind me of a coincidence, that they saw S.Mathews more in good weather conditions

but remembered fondley, of a game they saw together, where the rain was horizontal and the ground treacle, how mathews,

from his own half took the ball from his own half, beat 5 men dribbled around 5 ducks (their joke), put in a cross that

the wind took back to the halfway line, so he did it all over again, but the ducks were bigger cos they had grown more because

of the water and feed in the ground.They always said it is comical but it was the cup games and winter league games

in freezing cold conditions they always remember.Especially when my mam and auntie told them,

'You go down to a football match in this hellish weather, we ask you to go down the shops, to pick somethings up, no

way its raining/snowing' my dad and uncle always replied...but there are at least 8 pubs and 4 fish n chip shops,

to find refuge underway....ahhh the gud ol days!!!!

Brill , nice writing

Amazing how many people aren't getting Finners point - why do people think we talk about postwar records so much? With the big break its a nice cutoff point, and the sport before that was just wildly different and had more in common with Sunday morning kickabouts than the modern day top flight as far as pitch quality, sports science, training etc goes.

Yeah I don't see how you can compare an age where teams were playing 2-3-5 formations with what we have now. Even in comparison to '92, football is unrecognisable.

That's not saying history means nothing, just that comparisons of eras is absolutely illogical.

Archived