Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KievFox

Done and Dusted, 11 goals for Vardy

Still sinking in what we've just witnessed our player do. Been phenomenal from Vardy every game this season. I've never seen a player perform so consistently at such a staggeringly high level. I hope he stays at Leicester and becomes a legend. Congratulations Jamie Vardy.

The things I would do to relive that Vardy goal. It was one of the most magical moments I've ever experienced at a football match, and I've been to a fair few. I absolutely lost it when it hit the back of the net. These moments really do remind me why I spend an absolute fortune following this Leicester team. I would be lost without them.

The pass by Fuchs was sensational. Deserves as much credit as the finish.

It was sheer class as was the pass from Kasper to Fuchs.

There's no reason the run shouldn't continue.

Jamie Vardy has broken Ruud van Nistelrooy's Premier League record after scoring in his 11th successive game - and now stands one behind the all-time record of 12 held by Irishman Jimmy Dunne.

The Dubliner set the record in the 1931/32 season with 18 goals in 12 successive games for Sheffield United.

With headlines often dominated by 'Premier League-era' stats, the pre-war exploits of players like Dunne are often overlooked.

Born in Ringsend in 1905, Dunne came from a Gaelic football background before reportedly becoming exposed to soccer during a time spent interned in the Curragh and Portlaoise prison for alleged 'Republican sympathies'.

By 1923 he had begun his football career with Shamrock Rovers and then moved to the English fourth division to play with with Brighton.

Dunne joined Sheffield in 1926 for £800 and by the end of the 1929/30 season he had reached the top of British football. He was top scorer in England with 36 goals - even scoring four times in successive games against Leicester City and West Ham.

Then in 1930/31, Dunne hit 41 league goals, 50 in all competitions, the most ever scored by an Irishman in top-flight English football.

The following year, the Dubliner set the record for scoring in consecutive games when he scored 18 in 12 games between 21 October 1931 and 1 January 1932. That record still stands.

His goalscoring exploits soon attracted the attention of Arsenal and Dunne went on to play four seasons in London with the Gunners. He won the First Division title in 1933/34, the same year that his old club Sheffield United were relegated.

The period of success at Arsenal was brief however. In the years to come, Dunne would be eclipsed at the club by the arrival of legendary striker Ted Drake. In an era long before squad rotation, and despite being regarded as one of the best players in the league, Dunne would only make two appearances in the following two seasons.

By 1936 his time in the English top flight was at an end. Dunne spent one season at Southampton, then in Division 2, and finished the season as their top scorer with 14 goals in 36 appearances, saving the club from relegation.

In 1937 he refused a new contract and decided to return home to to finish his career back at Shamrock Rovers as a player-manager.

Jimmy Dunne's international career with Ireland was not without incident either. He was one of only a few to play with both a Northern Irish IFA XI and for the Irish Free State FAI team and amassed 22 goals across both teams.

The most notable moment in an Irish shirt came in 1939. Dunne was part of the Irish team which was the last to visit Nazi Germany before the invasion of Poland and the onset of World War II. The players were instructed to give the Nazi salute - Jimmy Dunne famously was one of the few to refuse to raise his hand before the game in Bremen.

The war years saw Dunne make a few appearances for a third Irish team, this time a League of Ireland XI, before he moved into management at Rovers full time

Dunne would manage Shamrock Rovers twice, either side of a spell with Bohemians, before a heart attack in 1949 saw him die at the young age of just 44.

HE IS FRONT ROW CENTRE !

euea20.jpg

Useless fact of the day: Jimmy Dunne's nephew, Tommy Dunne, played for Leicester City in between 1949 and 1954.

The Dunne stuff means nothing to me, to be honest. I'm not someone to completely dismiss history and nor do I think the Premier League is the best thing since toast but Dunne's record is as relevant to modern football as Sepp Blatter.

Sport in general, not just football, has changed so much, these old pre-war records are pointless.

I'd be disappointed if this Leicester side lost to Cruyff's Holland or Pele's Brazil, let alone Sheffield ****ing United from 1930. Pre-war top flight footballers probably wouldn't get in Boston United's side these days.

The Dunne stuff means nothing to me, to be honest. I'm not someone to completely dismiss history and nor do I think the Premier League is the best thing since toast but Dunne's record is as relevant to modern football as Sepp Blatter.

Sport in general, not just football, has changed so much, these old pre-war records are pointless.

I'd be disappointed if this Leicester side lost to Cruyff's Holland or Pele's Brazil, let alone Sheffield ****ing United from 1930. Pre-war top flight footballers probably wouldn't get in Boston United's side these days.

Even post war was terrible. Watched the 66 cup final in its entirety and the football on display was probably conference level at best.

Yeah.

Even if the footballers themselves had the skill that we've developed now, the athleticism just wasn't there.

It absolutely baffles me when people say with a straight face that Messi and Ronaldo aren't the best the world has ever seen. It's a bit like saying your old amiga was better than the xbox one. You might have had a lot of fun on your amiga and it might have been excellent at the time but it's still about as powerful by today's standard as an ATM machine.

Whether you think Dunne's record is relevant or not, it's still the record. If you're not 'completely dismissing history' then what exactly are you doing? Of course times have changed but imagine if Vardy beats Dunne's record and then holds it for 80 years. Would it then be fair if someone breaks it in 2095 for people to look back on now and say Vardys record is pointless and irrelevant?

So at what arbitrary point do you dismiss older records and start anew or do you want to be selective depending on the type of record and what it involves.

From a football on the pitch perspective nothing changed with the PL it was just an administrative change so in reality it's just some arbitrary date.

Don't know if its been mentioned but Vardy's celebration - "me....all fu34%ng me..." It looked like he was saying that in response to someone or something that has been said...the passion just spilled out after he scored.

What an incredible achievement. He seemed to be limping during the second half a bit but still wanted to carry on! Another player may have just thought "id scored the one so i'll save myself for the next game"

Amazing.....just amazing

I thought he was saying "mine, all f*****g mine" whilst running toward yanited fans?

Either way, so happy for him!

So at what arbitrary point do you dismiss older records and start anew or do you want to be selective depending on the type of record and what it involves.

From a football on the pitch perspective nothing changed with the PL it was just an administrative change so in reality it's just some arbitrary date.

Thank you for putting the so much better than me DavieG. I was beginning to think I was a lone voice.

Yeah.

Even if the footballers themselves had the skill that we've developed now, the athleticism just wasn't there.

It absolutely baffles me when people say with a straight face that Messi and Ronaldo aren't the best the world has ever seen. It's a bit like saying your old amiga was better than the xbox one. You might have had a lot of fun on your amiga and it might have been excellent at the time but it's still about as powerful by today's standard as an ATM machine.

In essence you're right, but Puskas, Di Stefano et al had to play in much tougher conditions (ball, pitch, opposition defenders) than today's best players. The players might be more athletic these days but I'm not sure their records match what some players achieved 50 years ago.

Basically it's pointless comparing, as you stated.

Archived