Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ranieri99

Fuchs

5 hours ago, artursteppe said:

Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, Oskar Kakoschka. All this quality around at the same time as each other, in the same country, incredible.

It was a truly remarkable place before the war. My grandparents fled Vienna to England (with assistance from the Quakers) in 1938, when my grandad's call-up papers for the German army arrived. They would have ended up in the camps if they had stayed.

So I know a fair amount about that extraordinary concentration of cultural dynamism in Vienna, although it wasn't just the arts that were vibrant. At one period around 1913 you had Hitler, Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin and Tito (as well as Freud and Jung) living in the city. Those famous coffee houses were buzzing with new ideas, and not all of them were good ones!

Interestingly, Leicester was big on temperance, coffee houses and radicalism at one time, but that is a different story...

37 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Interestingly, Leicester was big on temperance, coffee houses and radicalism at one time, but that is a different story...

Would that be in the sixties when the group "Family" were doing gigs in Brucciani's coffe bar? :o

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Would that be in the sixties when the group "Family" were doing gigs in Brucciani's coffe bar? :o

lol I was thinking a bit earlier than that, late Victorian times (when Thomas Cook was doing his thing), but I guess we could stretch my point a bit.

https://www.le.ac.uk/lahs/downloads/ElliottPagesfromvolumeXLVII-8.pdf

I never thought of Brucciani's as a hotbed of political radicalism before, but I'm obviously a bit younger than you... :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Austria has a horrendous legal system which favors locals above Foreigners..  So if you come hear and marry a local, be careful as a Divorce will kill you.. 

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Austria has a horrendous legal system which favors locals above Foreigners..  So if you come hear and marry a local, be careful as a Divorce will kill you.. 

Unfortunately being a man trumps that in pretty much any country.

7 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Unfortunately being a man trumps that in pretty much any country.

Off topic and not really the correct place to discuss, but trust me Austria may be a wonderful place for a holiday, but the Court System is like their Bundesliga - shit.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Just a quick reminder for everyone that Christian Fuchs will get an official farewell from the Austria national football team tomorrow evening before the friendly against Slovakia.

You mean they are going to tell him to Fuchs off.

Not very nice of them.

• 1 month later...
On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 15:30, norwichfox said:

Wow just seen this. As a kid I lived opposite some of the band. Did not realise anyone had heard of them lollol

3 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Wow just seen this. As a kid I lived opposite some of the band. Did not realise anyone had heard of them lollol

Great band, reformed again in 2013, but I understand that they disbanded again 2016.  somewhere up in the attic I'll still have the "In My Own Time" single.....sad aren't I lol

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Great band, reformed again in 2013, but I understand that they disbanded again 2016.  somewhere up in the attic I'll still have the "In My Own Time" single.....sad aren't I lol

Yup lol

To young to remember anything they did. Just remember them loading and unloading a van. Then my parents talking about them when I was older.

I saw them at Keele Uni. in late 60s, brilliant. Still have an LP of theirs, which I've kept and can still play, despite chipping a piece out of the rim 40 years ago lol

BTW, the Middlesborough fan has undoubtedly just realised the Fuchs/Fox connection :chant:

Archived