Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ranieri99

Fuchs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When did Christian Fuchs realise Leicester City were set for Premier League success?

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: May 18, 2016

By Zofia Filipowicz

DMU14313967-large.jpg

Christian Fuchs visits DMU

Comments (0)

Christian Fuchs revealed some of the factors behind Leicester City's incredible Premier League win when he spoke to staff and students at De Montfort University.

More than 800 people greeted the Austrian footballer, whose surname means fox in German, with enthusiastic applause and banging of clappers at the event.

Fuchs was interviewed by university vice chancellor Dominic Shellard, whose questions revealed some of the footballer's future plans, both personal and professional.

The microphone was then handed over to the audience.

Asked about the reasons for the players' remarkable condition and lack of injuries this season, Fuchs said: "The right balance between training and resting was kept at all times."

Read more: 11 amazing pictures of Leicester City's parade from the air

32647299.jpg

He said manager Claudio Ranieri first approached the team with what Fuchs described as "calm Italian philosophy", and watched the players train with one primary focus in mind – to simply stay in the league.

Asked at what point Ranieri noticed the season might turn out to be a tremendous success forLeicester City, Fuchs replied: "Never!"

He revealed the club's astounding victory came as a surprise not only to fans around the world but also the team members themselves.

"There were no expectations – we were focused, first and foremost, on survival," said Fuchs, who spoke at the university's leisure centre on Friday.

"It is still unbelievable also for us and hasn't really sunk in yet."

Read more: How Leicester is becoming a global brand thanks to City and Richard III

32646751.jpg

He revealed City's match against Everton, the last home game of the season and the occasion on which the team was presented with the Premier League trophy, was the biggest highlight of the season for him - a reply which prompted a deafening applause from the audience.

Asked by a member of the audience to take part in a rock, paper, scissors duel in which the winner would flick the ear of the loser, he agreed - which led to a painful, but surely cherished, ear flick for the audience member.

Fuchs also mentioned his plans for the end of the season, which included visiting family in New York and returning to Austria as the captain of its national team.

Giving advice to the mother of a four-year old would-be future City player, he said: "There is no recipe for success. Push yourself - but first, finish school."

At the close of the event, Fuchs told the crowd: "It is the first time I had to talk to a crowd this way, but you guys made me feel very comfortable.

"It's been a pleasure. Thank you so much for having me."

The appreciative crowd rewarded their guest with a roaring standing ovation.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/did-Christian-Fuchs-realise-Leicester-City-set/story-29287859-detail/story.html#ixzz48zwPzE7V 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Don´t really want to advertise X-Mobile, but thought you guys you might like this. Don´t sign up with X-Mobile- they´re most certainly evil.

In case anyone is wondering- it´s the theme tune of the Pippi Longstockings TV series. The melody has been used for countless football chants across the German speaking countries.

Hope this link works outside of Austria.

• 4 weeks later...

I've said it a few times in match day and player rating posts, but this guy is the best left back I've seen at City in over 50 years of watching them, and that includes David Nish who was a big hero of mine, so much so I named my first child after him. 

Not only is he a really cultured left back, but seems a fantastic team man and a really cool guy.

Hope he stays for a long time. (and good luck to him captaining Austria) 

I've said it a few times in match day and player rating posts, but this guy is the best left back I've seen at City in over 50 years of watching them, and that includes David Nish who was a big hero of mine, so much so I named my first child after him. 

Not only is he a really cultured left back, but seems a fantastic team man and a really cool guy.

Hope he stays for a long time. (and good luck to him captaining Austria) 

He is a fine player, but I certainly believe that David Nish was the finest left back I have ever seen, here at Leicester.

Archived