Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Ice Hockey

Florida Panthers/Manchester Storm/Telford Tigers fan checking in...

Can't believe Florida lost to the Blue Jackets last night. It was the free game on NHL Gamecenter and we were up 2-0 only to lose in the shootout. On the plus side, we've just traded for more actual, proven players than we've had in ages, so hopefully we'll get things together again.

Oh, the Jackets and Torts...

You must be over the moon with the way the Panthers have been playing this year.

I didn't want to check in to this thread after the Rangers sucked ass in Newark :ph34r: God, I hate the Devils. But the Blueshirts are playing great (well, Lundqvist is) lately. I loved seeing them bounce back with wins at St. Louis and Dallas, that's no easy feat.

That goal was a beauty. The Minnesota State Hockey Tournament is massive. The games are on TV over there, and I used to watch it when I was in Minnesota. They play the final rounds at the Xcel Energy Center and get sellout crowds. The only things that can compare to it at that level are basketball in Indiana and football in Texas.

As for Eric Staal, I can't really complain--a prospect and two 2nd rounders for him at 50% of his remaining salary is probably a fair price these days. Teams that win Cups roll four lines and have depth at the center position--now, we have E. Staal, Brassard, Stepan and Moore, and that's pretty damn good.

Saw the Rangers Blackhawks game at MSG 2 weeks ago. Been wanting to get to an NHL game since I was a kid and finally got to do it. 

Had amazing seats and saw a good game - shame Rangers lost but Blackhawks were pretty devastating tbh. 

I expected the atmosphere to be better from the crowd though - very quiet! The presentation was awesome though - music, video screen, ice lighting up, etc. 

Used to go watch MK Kings when I was younger. 

With the gradual increase in ticket prices, and also with the recent "transformation" of Madison Square Garden from a sports venue to an "experience," the atmosphere at Rangers games suffers a little more every year.

That was a good game, though, and (unfortunately) the Blackhawks showed their championship class with the way they turned that game around. Once again, they've also gotten better around the trade deadline (acquiring Andrew Ladd from Winnipeg), and they will probably enter the playoffs as the favorites to win the Western Conference.

The first 16 players on each roster and the home jerseys for the 8 teams at this fall's edition of the World Cup of Hockey were announced this week. I know the main forum is full of rage about proposals to close doors to the Champions League, but right here's another example of what could happen when a sports competition becomes a marketing tool.

The previous two versions of this tournament (the successor to the Canada Cup) featured eight teams: CAN, USA, RUS, SWE, FIN, CZE, SVK, and GER. This year, however, Germany and Slovakia have been replaced by "Team Europe" (featuring players from the rest of Europe bedsides Sweden, Finland, Russia, and Czech), and "Team North America" (a u23 team of American and Canadian players). It's worth noting that American and Canadian players that are under 24 years old as of Oct. 1 are not eligible to be selected for their respective national team and can only be picked for Team NA.

There haven't been too many surprises about the rosters (save perhaps Jagr not in the preliminary Czech squad, though I'd assume the decision is his), and anybody that's been snubbed (PK Subban, anyone?) will likely be seriously considered for the final 7 spots later on.

Also noteworthy is that adidas has won the rights to produce uniforms for all NHL teams beginning next season, and they've been tasked with doing the WCH uniforms as well. They've done a little experimenting with some of these designs...

CclaoZxWwAIFUUn.jpg

Edited by Jordan

He was involved in a few incidents vs my Rangers during his time at the New Jersey Devils (including a famous line brawl between the two teams at the opening faceoff 4 years ago). I'd imagine he's still fighting over there.

Who could forget?

And regarding the world cup:

Most shocked by Kessel not making the team in the first 16. 

Obviously I would say Canada is the favorite, Sweden right behind them with our boy Hank between the pipes.

I would also not be shocked if Team NA finishes above us. Eichel and Mcdavid could easily make USA and Canada respectively.

• 1 year later...

Just caught the end of the Elite league playoffs final, where Sheffield Steelers beat The Cardiff Devils 6-5 in double overtime and wow what action. Both sides deserve great credit for the contest they put on.

I guess the party in Sheffield this weekend will go that little bit louder and longer! 

Great game. I was googling players as they were interviewed, and I didn't realise just how many ex NHL players play in the EL!

Looking forward to the Stanley Cup playoffs even more now. Who we backing?

Gutted that the Islanders fell short this year. I've really warmed to them after going to see them play in January.

I haven't watched any Elite League this season, I watched a few GB games over the last year though and hopefully a few more this year.

In the NHL, seeing as the Devils missed out again, any one but the Rangers! It's probably about time the Caps clinched it but I'd like to see Toronto or St Louis win it. 

Who did you see the Islanders play @KFS

1 hour ago, KFS said:

Great game. I was googling players as they were interviewed, and I didn't realise just how many ex NHL players play in the EL!

Looking forward to the Stanley Cup playoffs even more now. Who we backing?

I was looking through the rosters. Saw some familiar names of guys that played here in the NHL.

Huge buzz here(in the Toronto area) for the Leafs making it to the playoffs. It'll be a tough ask for them to get out of the first round, but it's a team that looks good for the future with some great young players.

Nice to see some love for hockey at this forum :) 

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

I was looking through the rosters. Saw some familiar names of guys that played here in the NHL.

Huge buzz here(in the Toronto area) for the Leafs making it to the playoffs. It'll be a tough ask for them to get out of the first round, but it's a team that looks good for the future with some great young players.

Nice to see some love for hockey at this forum :) 

Go habs go! Montreal all the way baby!

Maple leafs can kiss my arse.

8 hours ago, Uncle Phil said:

I haven't watched any Elite League this season, I watched a few GB games over the last year though and hopefully a few more this year.

In the NHL, seeing as the Devils missed out again, any one but the Rangers! It's probably about time the Caps clinched it but I'd like to see Toronto or St Louis win it. 

Who did you see the Islanders play @KFS

Saw them beat the Caps! 

Isles have beaten nearly everyone who have qualified for the playoffs at least once- they're a bit like us when we just missed out on the playoffs under Nigel, very inconsistent. 

Ive got a soft spot for Sydney Crosby. The kid has talent, so I think I'm rooting for the Penguins. Anyone but the Rangers!

• 8 months later...

Hockey fans in the UK... checkout Freesports on channel 95 (Freeview). 

As well as having rights to the Spannish second division and all mnaor of other random shit, they’ve got a lot of Ice Hockey, including the NHL.

Watching the Rangers host the Leafs right now (Leafs lead 3-1 into the third period).

15 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Watching the same game. Of course here, that's just a normal Saturday night on the TV.

Been a good game hasn’t it.

Felt the Leafs didn’t come out with the same intensity for the third and almost paid for it - good coaches challenge.

Lundqvist has been superb, but not convinced by Anderson in goals. 

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond