Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Ice Hockey

7 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I was tempted to want overtime, but it is 3am here and the Leafs was my choice of who to support years ago, so...

Amd just to prove my point, Lundqvist pulled off at least 2 more top, top saves after my post. 

Was nice to see the hockey thread bumped ;)

Devils top of the Metro at Christmas ? even if it doesn’t last it’s about time we had a genuinely exciting attack. The defence will improve with time. Hopefully. 

20 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

sens have been awful this year :(

I’ve been a bit surprised by their bad form. Is that down to injuries or just being a bit crap so far? 

What about Vegas though, they’re absolutely flying! 

38 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

I wouldn't have bet on that. Really amazing story in their debut season.

Most pundits were mocking their picks and they’re certainly eating humble pie. 

It’ll be interesting to see if Seattle the same rules when their time comes. 

18 hours ago, Uncle Phil said:

Devils top of the Metro at Christmas ? even if it doesn’t last it’s about time we had a genuinely exciting attack. The defence will improve with time. Hopefully. 

I’ve been a bit surprised by their bad form. Is that down to injuries or just being a bit crap so far? 

What about Vegas though, they’re absolutely flying! 

Partly, got fleeced over the summer too 

Capitals vs Rangers into overtime at 0-0 (MSG)

Someone great goaltending by the understudies. Caps feel a little too ponderous and deliberate in their build up play for me, meaning they’re always competing against a well positioned defence, blocking lanes.

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

• 1 month later...

One of my childhood heroes is set to retire.

Jaromir-Jagr.jpg

The Pittsburgh Penguins were a powerhouse in the Nineties, thanks to Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis, Mark Recchi, Ulf Samuelsson, Kevin Stevens, Larry Murphy, Darius Kasparaitis (:D), Tom Barrasso, Phil Burque, Paul Coffey, Rick Tocchet and... Jaromir Jagr.

Jagr has now been waived and transferred to his hometown club in Kladno, Czech Republic. After 24 years in the NHL, time spent with the Pens, Washington, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Dallas, Boston, New Jersey, Florida and Calgary, he leaves the league as one of the all-time greats:

Second-most points in total (just behind Wayne Gretzky), 1'700+ games. Unbelievable.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/opinion/2018/01/29/uniquely-talented-jaromir-jagr-wanted-to-play-forever-arthur.html

We'll miss you, Jaro.

• Like 2

Love this sport, Its always been my answer to rugby fans who call footballers fairy's and tell me to watch a mans game. I love telling them my 2nd sport I like to watch is ice hockey. Like a few others I used to stay up watching ch5, It even got me into baseball.  

6 hours ago, smallpauldj said:

Love this sport, Its always been my answer to rugby fans who call footballers fairy's and tell me to watch a mans game. I love telling them my 2nd sport I like to watch is ice hockey. Like a few others I used to stay up watching ch5, It even got me into baseball.  

I think Hockey is the most physically grueling sport. On top of that, they play 82 games before they make the playoffs. NHL players are absolute warriors, and very different from modern day athletes that many feel are too pampered and soft.

• 8 months later...

The new NHL season started last week (first while I've been on Foxes Talk) - so probably due for someone to kick-start this thread up.

Big Sharks fan (I can take the 4-0 defeat to the Isles I've just sat through on the chin) - but going from the biggest disappointment of the Summer in missing out on Tavares, to the biggest trade of the Summer to land Eric Karlsson for next to nothing has catapulted us to one of the Stanley Cup favourites - so looking forward to a pretty entertaining season.

Anyone else on here following the season so far?

15 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

The new NHL season started last week (first while I've been on Foxes Talk) - so probably due for someone to kick-start this thread up.

Big Sharks fan (I can take the 4-0 defeat to the Isles I've just sat through on the chin) - but going from the biggest disappointment of the Summer in missing out on Tavares, to the biggest trade of the Summer to land Eric Karlsson for next to nothing has catapulted us to one of the Stanley Cup favourites - so looking forward to a pretty entertaining season.

Quite happy to have Tavares here in Toronto! Hat-trick last night in Chicago :D

I try not to get too caught up on the Leafs hype train though. Haven't won the Cup since before I was born lol

16 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

I’m a Devils fan and I think we play the sharks at 18:00 on Saturday. We have a lot of early starts this season which is great, I think they’re trying to tap into the European market a bit more.

We played pretty well against the Oilers in our opener, we’ve definitely got the makings of a decent team but we struggle against physical sides like Boston and Washington. Although Kinkaid stepped up big time last season we could do with an on form Schneider back as well. 

Nice to know I'm not alone!

16 hours ago, spacemunky said:

I try not to get too caught up on the Leafs hype train though. Haven't won the Cup since before I was born lol

I do have a bit of a soft spot for Toronto as they were my team as a little kid in their Leicester blue :scarf:- before I got out to the States and had my US sports landscape tilted to the West!

It seems like Tavares was always going back to Totonto so he could dust off his old duvet set (bless him) & he was just playing everyone else for more money. Seriously though, I don't know how the Leafs have got him under the salary cap, and it creates a hell of a set of forwards - but is is worth it at the cost of investing in the Defence and what the team might look like in the 3-8 year timescale?

Similar to Marleau - wish him nothing but the best, but 3 years was just too long for the Sharks to commit to. He looks to have started well in Yr 2 of that, he may well have that additional year in the tank.

30 minutes ago, Uncle Phil said:

I’m a Devils fan and I think we play the sharks at 18:00 on Saturday.

Bit of a brutal schedule for the Sharks: Home opener followed by a 5 game road trip. Playing the 3 NY teams + Philly this week with games on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday so you could be facing a pretty bruised team by Sunday! Will have to avoid it on here if we lose! 

Tavares is some player and you can bank on Matthews potting 50 this year... but the Leafs may still go only as far as Andersen will let them. I'm sticking with Tampa to win the East. 

As for the Sharks, here's hoping I have both a Yankees-Red Sox game 5 and the Giants-Eagles game on Thursday night to take my attention away from San Jose crushing my rebuilding Rangers! :P

Wings fan. Looking forward to the Babcock Derby, Thursday night against Toronto.

From a full season outlook, it's going to be another year of rebuilding for the Red Wings. We're expected to finish around dead last, and we're playing a lineup full of young prospects. With Henrik Zetterberg retired, it seems like the end of an era. We've had 3 captains since 1986  - Steve Yzerman (1986-2006), Nick Lidstrom (2007-2012), and Henrik Zetterberg (2013-2018). In that time span, I have been lucky enough to see them win 4 Stanley Cups. Now we are without a captain, and without any expectation of success.

That said, it's an exciting time to get in on the Red Wings from the ground floor, and hopefully follow the next generation. It's also a fantastic opportunity to buy tickets since they should finally come down in price at the new area lol

The big excitement here, is of the possibility of Steve Yzerman, returning home. Since resigning from his job as GM of Tampa, he's moved back to Detroit to work as an analyst for the Lightning. The speculation is that he should be the successor to Ken Holland, longtime GM of the Wings. Though Holland has been one of the most successful GM's in NHL history, fans/media have grown a bit tired of his reign and think an injection of new blood/ideas would be good.

Bit spoilt with recent successes and trophies, but I'm hoping for another positive Penguins season in the playoffs especially.

Last season's 2nd round exit was particularly bitter, as it was at the hands of the biggest rival in the East.

Crosby on the road to 1'200 regular season scoring points.

On 08/10/2018 at 18:21, spacemunky said:

Boooooo.

Go habs go! Le but!!!!!!! Lol

Ive seen my habs lift the cup. Its a beautiful  feeling.

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I wish places like Québec and Hartford got their teams back or at least a new franchise each. Miss the good old days.

Did you see Carolina is bringing back the Hartford Whalers jersey for one game this season?

https://twitter.com/NHLCanes/status/1045373023170252806/photo/1

I recall some speculation that Hamilton or Quebec City could get an expansion team, but it seems like Seattle is next in line, with a stadium in place.