Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Ice Hockey

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

Did you see Carolina is bringing back the Hartford Whalers jersey for one game this season?

https://twitter.com/NHLCanes/status/1045373023170252806/photo/1

I recall some speculation that Hamilton or Quebec City could get an expansion team, but it seems like Seattle is next in line, with a stadium in place. 

Lived in hamilton for 30 years, it is a great place for an nhl team in terms of support but wont ever happen. Toronto and  buffalo wont allow it as it affects their fan base. 

53 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Lived in hamilton for 30 years, it is a great place for an nhl team in terms of support but wont ever happen. Toronto and  buffalo wont allow it as it affects their fan base. 

True. Once Seattle joins the NHL, there will be 4 divisions of 8, 16 in the west and 16 in the east. It will be hard for a new team to join the NHL after that. The only other option would be relocation, but outside of Phoenix I don't see many teams struggling. Phoenix relocating to a Canadian city would probably result in booting Columbus out of the East to re-balance the conferences.

Edited by Detroit Blues

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

At least they have the Bulldogs still in the OHL.

The QMJHL also offers very good hockey on display.

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

At least they have the Bulldogs still in the OHL.

The QMJHL also offers very good hockey on display.

Yes but that was drop down from the ahl.

I went to a bullldogs- marlies game years back and it was insane. Large crowd, feisty game better than anything you would seee in arizona lol

Seattle is next, they’re almost certain to be selected this year, and the move makes perfect sense geographically.

At 32 teams with two new franchises, and a poor relationship with the NHL Players Association (with rumblings already of a potential lockout in 2020 or 2022), I think the NHL would be hesitant to add any more teams any time soon. 

I think Hartford, nostalgia aside, is a non-starter (it’s been a very good home for the Rangers’ AHL affiliate, although that’s just not the same). Relocation of a struggling Eastern Conference team seems like the only shot for Quebec City, Hamilton (which has to feel unlucky considering it built an NHL-ready arena over 30 years ago and is still waiting), or perhaps even Toronto/the GTA. But letting the Panthers or better yet, the Hurricanes (ironic, eh) move would be a bitter pill that the NHL does not want to swallow after making a big push into the Sun Belt over the last 25 years. You’ll have to see an ownership group make an aggressive bid for either of those teams and then have to go through even more hurdles (in terms of season ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, media deals etc.) than what the reluctant NHL did to True North moving the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg before sanctioning such a move. And even before any of that, the NHL would have to be satisfied with their long-term outlook on the Canadian economy, because “the exchange rate” is an easy way for them to poke check any talk of Canadian expansion/relocation before it crosses the blue line.

Hartford had great sweaters, but I think Carolina doing that throwback while the bulk of the Whalers fan base is still alive is crass! Wearing it against the Bruins is also sure to stir up memories, but now about Pat Verbeek, Geoff Sanderson and Andrew Cassels, but of Peter Karmanos moving the team just a few years after saying he was committed to Hartford.

One note about the Penguins, mentioned above: I thought they were dangerously undersold this summer and they have a New England Patriots way about them of always being a contender. I can even see Phil Kessel going for 40 goals. But Matt Murray just got what, his fourth concussion in 3 years? That’s a big worry, and that puts a question mark back onto that team.

Edited by Jordan

11 hours ago, Jordan said:

Hartford had great sweaters, but I think Carolina doing that throwback while the bulk of the Whalers fan base is still alive is crass!

Couldn't agree more... Carolina took the team away, so this just feels like they are rubbing it it. If they really wanted to keep the connection, they'd find ways to do it, such as playing pre-season games in Hartford - not just this money grab for a sweater they know will sell in bucketloads.

It sounds as though Seattle is a done deal - just not officially rubber stamped (they have even just released plans for their training facilities and HQ, so must be pretty certain http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24933646/seattle-nhl-group-unveils-70-million-training-center-plan).

It feels that 32 in the magic number for the major leagues - given its neat divisibility - the NFL have settled there, and it feels that that is where the NHL will settle.

Never know what goes into the decision making but the theory I heard a few years back was the NHL:

- wanted sexy new markets to expand to - Seatle, Vegas etc. - that could stump up the massive expansion fees

- they believe the likes of Quebec can support a team, but they are keeping them in their back pocket for a relocation

- Hartford is just too small & although there is a very strong case & certainly the fan base for another Toronto/Hamilton based team, there is no way the Maple Leafs would allow it, so that's a non-starter

... and the way it has gone does seem like there was some truth to that theory.

Will be interesting to see how long the league continues to support some of the money drainers - such as the Coyotes and Panthers... I wouldn't be shocked either way - whether the league eventually gives up at the expense, or whether they continue to back them regardless.

On 09/10/2018 at 18:12, Jordan said:

As for the Sharks, here's hoping I have both a Yankees-Red Sox game 5 and the Giants-Eagles game on Thursday night to take my attention away from San Jose crushing my rebuilding Rangers! :P

You haven't got your Game 5, so you may have to watch to see if the Sharks can go any better than the 8 goals they put past the Flyers :).

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Maybe you would have liked back when Fox TV had the rights to the NHL. No one here(in Canada) did lol

I knew before I scrolled down that this would be referenced lol

TBF, back before HDTV, the glow puck was kind of brilliant. Trying to watch the games on our like, 22 inch TV in SD from the couch, finding the puck was a legit concern. Now with big screens TVs, HD broadcast, etc. if you can't find the puck, you might need an eye exam. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Hope Auston Matthews can keep up with his red-hot scoring streak, averages 2.5 points a game. It's about time somebody challenged Gretzky's and Lemieux's regular season numbers!

I know it's early days, but it's great looking at the scoring leaders and seeing 4 Leafs on top.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the thoroughly depressing showing by the football team yesterday, and something that showed up briefly on the main forum in the week, I've been thinking a lot about the possibility of Leicester getting its own ice hockey team.

I've always been a fan of the sport, and it would be a bit of a dream come true if a local team became a reality. I used to go to the old Nottingham ice rink about every week at one point in my teens in the hope that I could learn to skate well enough to play, but I still can't skate for shit. Been to see the Panthers play and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it would be so much better for me if there was a Leicester team to follow, even if they weren't much good.

What are people's thoughts on a potential Leicester team? Can you see yourself attending games should a local team be created?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pens finally back to winning ways.

Murray stopped 50 shots on goal against Philly!:worship:

Crosby with three scoring points, now 19 points shy of 1‘200 (15 goals away off 450, four assists to 750), in the middle of a captivating 1-on-1 with Ovechkin, who‘s also close to reaching that total number.

13 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Anyone heard any rumours about Leicester getting a team? Think it would be a no brainer if the stadium extension includes an arena.

They'd be no match for us Belfast Giants, ie, the Spurs of the Elite League.

• 1 month later...

A couple of milestones reached in the past few days:

Crosby now officially gone past the 1'200 regular season points mark, currently sits on 1'206. That makes him No. 46 on the NHL all-time scoring list. Could well go past Jean Beliveau at the end of the season and finish with something like 1'225. Then attack the 1'300 points mark next season.

His closest rival Ovechkin managed to reach the same mark just yesterday in a 5-3 defeat at the hands of the Pens, but Crosby's numbers are more impressive due to the fact that he missed out on roughly 140 games in the past in comparison due to injuries.

Evgeni Malkin now also an official member of the 1'000 scoring points club after two assists in the same game against Washington. Congrats!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stanley Cup playoffs are starting:

Eastern Conference First Round
TBL vs. CBJ
BOS vs. TOR
WSH vs. CAR
NYI vs. PIT

Western Conference First Round

CGY vs. COL
SJS vs. VGK
NSH vs. DAL
WPG vs. STL

My Stanley Cup dream final: Pittsburgh vs. Winnipeg, with the Pens winning it. :D