Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

59 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've been battling against it for a few weeks now and my coping mechanisms have just about held it at bay but, unfortunately, the outpouring of grief over the weekend has tipped the balance for me.

I'm at the lowest ebb I've been for years.

Sad to read that Buce. Take time to look after yourself and do what you need to do to get through it xx

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I've been battling against it for a few weeks now and my coping mechanisms have just about held it at bay but, unfortunately, the outpouring of grief over the weekend has tipped the balance for me.

Sorry to hear that, mate. But I can easily imagine how events over the weekend, and the continuous media coverage and online debate about the tragedy, could tip you in a downward trajectory if you were already struggling.

I only have a very minor and occasional tendency towards depression compared to most posters in this thread, but have started trying to avoid most Vichai coverage/debate as it was dragging my mood down.

At the risk of seeming to trivialise, could you help yourself by focusing on more positive plans: e.g. researching future hiking ventures? I appreciate that this won't address underlying tendencies but might it divert from short-term negative impacts on mood?

I'm sure you have a better understanding of what you can usefully do, however. Take care.

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Is it better taking anti-depressants in the evening, if you're working during the day?

I don't know if it's better, but I do it and get through work okay most days.

4 hours ago, Buce said:

Sorry to hear it. I'm struggling at the moment too, the pictures of Top are bringing back memories of losing my Dad last year. Football is my escape from the real world, so it's particularly difficult when it's contributing to the problem. Imagine it'll be the same for a lot of us.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I find it is mate. Mine zonk me out in the day so I take them before bed.

Whereas mine perk me up and stop me sleeping at night. 

I was always tild to take it in the morning and it works for me but everyone's different so you just need to do whatever is right for you.

17 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Is it better taking anti-depressants in the evening, if you're working during the day?

Fluoxetine and Paroxetine have a stimulant effect so better to take in the morning. Most of the rest it's down to personal preference although Sertraline is recommended in the evening. Mirtazapine has to be taken at night because it's a sleep-inducer.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Has anyone ever used Mental Health Matters? My doc recommended them to me last week but I forgot after everything that’s happened since Saturday. 

Never heard of it but just googled it and it looks a lot like the lets talk wellbeing sevice with great addons like the helpline.

Ive found lets talk wellbeing to be great but the helpli mine is something that i feel would have really helped when i was at my worst 

What area do you live in, as im surprised id never heard of it. If leicestershire, have you had bad experiences with kets talk wellbeing or just different doctors recommend different groups.

Short of full on counselling (again) i now have a very good "toolbox" of self help to call upon, but do feel i have pretty mich exhausted their helo, in particular re "multiple issues" which they seemed to point me away from their counselling for this reason, but i notice this group specifically mention multiple issues in one of their services so i may be calling on them in the future.

(Not saying lets talk wellbeing are bad, they have been excellent for me and i have been signposted to relationship counselling with my wife which i know is now needed, just using what i know for comparison, this does look very good)

Good luck and please keep us informed.

I think in a lot of ways this tragedy has actually lifted me out of my depression strangely but more by way of stopping self pity as the perspective from this reminds me i am a lucky man.

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've seen you a lot here @urban.spaceman since the tragedy, and have been concerned for you...

Thanks for your concern HPF. Not been very well lately and this tragedy has tipped me a little over the edge. Yesterday was the worst. Having a “me” day today with my sisters dog so hopefully I’ll feel a bit better x

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Thanks for your concern HPF. Not been very well lately and this tragedy has tipped me a little over the edge. Yesterday was the worst. Having a “me” day today with my sisters dog so hopefully I’ll feel a bit better x

Good - don't OD on this tragedy, look after yourself. We are all in touch with personal grief and loss as a result of this event, it is important to try and understand our emotional reactions.

• Thanks 1

i'd like to add that as of christmas I'm going to have a bit more free time on my hands.

I know talking about these things is difficult for us all, but it really does help.

if you'd like - I will be up for meeting up with anyone who'd like to chat, have a coffee and just get a few things off your chest. 

I don't have all the advice but I'd be happy to listen and maybe that will help.

I'll re-post up in the new year when relevant but PM me if you want. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

i'd like to add that as of christmas I'm going to have a bit more free time on my hands.

I know talking about these things is difficult for us all, but it really does help.

if you'd like - I will be up for meeting up with anyone who'd like to chat, have a coffee and just get a few things off your chest. 

I don't have all the advice but I'd be happy to listen and maybe that will help.

I'll re-post up in the new year when relevant but PM me if you want. 

This is really cool :appl:

I don’t live in Leicestershire anymore but if I’m ever around I’d 100% take you up on this. Mainly because a lot of your posts actually make me laugh quite a lot on other parts of the forum. You seem like a top geezer. 

All the best to you in your new ventures! :thumbup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manini said:

This is really cool :appl:

I don’t live in Leicestershire anymore but if I’m ever around I’d 100% take you up on this. Mainly because a lot of your posts actually make me laugh quite a lot on other parts of the forum. You seem like a top geezer. 

All the best to you in your new ventures! :thumbup:

what a kind post, thank you :)

and sure, give me a shout if you're ever about! 

In a bit of a slump this morning. One of those days where I just want to be left the **** alone. No food in the house, cba to leave it to get any. Just gonna chill until the football I guess. Being dragged out to fireworks tonight and really don't want to bother. Meh. One of those days. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

In a bit of a slump this morning. One of those days where I just want to be left the **** alone. No food in the house, cba to leave it to get any. Just gonna chill until the football I guess. Being dragged out to fireworks tonight and really don't want to bother. Meh. One of those days. 

Just remember our time together yesterday mate and it’ll bring a smile to your face :kissing:

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Just remember our time together yesterday mate and it’ll bring a smile to your face :kissing:

haha, it does indeed. :wub:

just maybe feeling a bit apprehensive about the football and hope the lads do ok and then just wallowing a bit in self pity for some reason today

no reason behind it, just my stupid head being stupid I guess! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Keep your head up mate, good things are always on the way, sometimes we just have to go through some bother to get there.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Keep your head up mate, good things are always on the way, sometimes we just have to go through some bother to get there.

Thanks Matt, I appreciate it.

It's weird, I've been quite down recently but there's some light at the end of the tunnel now and I've had a few highs recently so when the lows rear their ugly head they feel a bit lower than normal.

hopefully a win for the boys today and that firework display will seem like a much better idea.

Hope you're well today. :)