Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

2 minutes ago, Harry96 said:

@tom27111 hi mate just needed a bit of advice. Have you got any thoughts on the mk5 golf gti? Thinking of getting it as a second car but I’ve spoke to  a few of my friends who have said might have a bit of difficulty reselling.

Can't really go wrong with a Golf in my opinion.

Really good cars, the fact they hold their value, like all VW's, speaks volumes for them.

I don't have a lot of experience with that model myself, a little bit too early for what I've sold in the past.

Just one word of warning if you're looking for one, pay attention to if/when the cam belt was changed. I think they should be changed around every 50k miles. Something you really can't afford to have go as you're driving!

13 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Really good cars, the fact they hold their value, like all VW's, speaks volumes for them.

I don't have a lot of experience with that model myself, a little bit too early for what I've sold in the past.

Just one word of warning if you're looking for one, pay attention to if/when the cam belt was changed. I think they should be changed around every 50k miles. Something you really can't afford to have go as you're driving!

Alright cheers mate thank you 

Some bastard has nicked the catalytic converter from my CRV :mad:

Trouble is the car is worth nothing as it's old, body work is a bit ropey and has loads of little things wrong with it and was planning on scrapping it when the MOT runs out in July. Can anyone recommend a local garage around Charnwood/Loughborough that can just weld some exhaust pipe in its place for a fair price, so I can just drive it without deafening everyone for a few months? Thanks

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Very true. Golf’s and Polo’s this applies to. It will go somewhere between 50k and 60k miles. I’d almost guarantee it. 

32 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Some bastard has nicked the catalytic converter from my CRV :mad:

Trouble is the car is worth nothing as it's old, body work is a bit ropey and has loads of little things wrong with it and was planning on scrapping it when the MOT runs out in July. Can anyone recommend a local garage around Charnwood/Loughborough that can just weld some exhaust pipe in its place for a fair price, so I can just drive it without deafening everyone for a few months? Thanks

This happened to my sister in law and her Lexus RX - she actually saw them doing it, but the brazen sods just threatened her and carried on

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Other than the service book is there anyway you can tell if the timing belt is old and knackered / looks good not likely to snap?

29 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

This happened to my sister in law and her Lexus RX - she actually saw them doing it, but the brazen sods just threatened her and carried on

Yeah if I'd have witnessed it I probably wouldn't have intervened, the kind of scum that do that probably wouldn't think twice to get violent 

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Other than the service book is there anyway you can tell if the timing belt is old and knackered / looks good not likely to snap?

Someone more mechanically minded than myself might, personally, without the paperwork, I wouldn't have a clue!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Lead time for the cars I have looked at have ranged from 26-40 weeks.  I may want a different car in 9 months time!

Always worth looking about for something pre-registered.

Not quite as attractive on a PCP with your GMFV reduced, but you'd get something quicker.

5 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Always worth looking about for something pre-registered.

Not quite as attractive on a PCP with your GMFV reduced, but you'd get something quicker.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is through work.  We have a salary sacrifice scheme linked to their providers lease deals. Means I get good tax benefits (especially if I go for electric) as it is taken from salary before tax.

I have a perfectly decent car at the moment - it is just frustrating having to wait so long when you order something new.

First world problems I suppose, so shouldn’t really complain.

• Like 1