Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

7 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Other than the service book is there anyway you can tell if the timing belt is old and knackered / looks good not likely to snap?

There might be, but keeping an eye on it is the easiest way, my dad did that on his golf. Had it from 30k miles, did another 25k ish but kept an eye on it and then had it changed. You can tell if it looks ****ed and I saw before and after of mine (polo) when it was changed and it’s night and day. Can’t remember from memory where it is on the Golf but on the Polo it’s in plain sight to the left when you lift the bonnet. 

Ask a mechanic if you’re concerned though, obviously. 

• Thanks 1

Looking at buying a newer car at the minute and found a 68 plate that I like. 

It was first registered late Sept 2018 so should of had its first mot Sept 2021? Gone online to check and it says that it's not MOT'd. 

Is this something that can happen with a car if it was on pcp? Like they had it for the 3 years and it's now waiting to be bought before they MOT it? 

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car but it's a little confusing. Nothing is said on the advert but it's from a big company so not just a random but selling it.

Has anyone had anything like this before?

6 minutes ago, slymunn said:

It was first registered late Sept 2018 so should of had its first mot Sept 2021? Gone online to check and it says that it's not MOT'd. 

Is this something that can happen with a car if it was on pcp? Like they had it for the 3 years and it's now waiting to be bought before they MOT it? 

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car but it's a little confusing. Nothing is said on the advert but it's from a big company so not just a random but selling it.

See @tom27111

before you buy a car!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Seems slightly strange.

My best guess would be it was an ex-lease car and went back to the lease company who have sold it at auction to a dealer.

The dealer would usually put the car through prep and service and MOT it at that stage.

Any big dealer should guarantee a minimum of 9 months MOT on a new purchase though, so shouldn't be of concern, worth mentioning to the sales exec.

Edit...check the tax status online with the DVLA as well. That'll tell you when it expired and it'll give you a very good idea of when the car changed ownership, 'bought in to trade'.

Edited by tom27111

13 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Seems strange.

My best guess would be it was an ex-lease car and went back to the lease company who have sold it at auction to a dealer.

The dealer would usually put the car through prep and service and MOT it at that stage.

Any big dealer should guarantee a minimum of 9 months MOT on a new purchase though, so shouldn't be of concern, worth mentioning to the sales exec.

It's from a big dealer so seemed strange when it was like that. Just wanted to do all the quick checks online before going to seeing the car.

It's a good price for the car which made me look into it more if I'm honest.

Screenshot_20220107-203752_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 minutes ago, slymunn said:

It's from a big dealer so seemed strange when it was like that. Just wanted to do all the quick checks online before going to seeing the car.

Shouldn't be a problem. They won't let it go without being road legal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, slymunn said:

What are you looking at anyway? And where from?

Make sure they service it too, that can easily slip through the net at a dealership.

They'll do it, or at least a full check, but easy to miss the paperwork.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

What are you looking at anyway? And where from?

Make sure they service it too, that can easily slip through the net at a dealership.

They'll do it, or at least a full check, but easy to miss the paperwork.

We are looking at a small SUV. Vitara, Aircross, Mokka X kind of size.

I'm near Leeds. Looked at the different cars we like locally but now trying to get the one to buy as such. 

This car is at JCT600. Mokka X, 68 plate with just under 12k on the clock. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slymunn said:

We are looking at a small SUV. Vitara, Aircross, Mokka X kind of size.

I'm near Leeds. Looked at the different cars we like locally but now trying to get the one to buy as such. 

This car is at JCT600. Mokka X, 68 plate with just under 12k on the clock. 

If you need any advice or aren't sure on anything, as always, please feel free to ask. Can be a bloody minefield! I do it every day, most of you do it every 3 to 5 years :thumbup:

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

If you need any advice or aren't sure on anything, as always, please feel free to ask. Can be a bloody minefield! I do it every day, most of you do it every 3 to 5 years :thumbup:

Thanks mate! It's why I put this on here as I wasn't 100% sure.

Just now, slymunn said:

Thanks mate! It's why I put this on here as I wasn't 100% sure.

JCT are a really reputable company.

Especially with how the market is right now, they'll look after you well. The industry has changed, customers are the main focus.

Don't be afraid to ask for a bit more though! The days of massive discounts have gone, with internet retailers out there, you can't afford to advertise a car at a massive price. But there's always at least a hundred or so quid for manoeuvre! 

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Company car update...I told my boss I'd made a grave error in picking the Tipo estate over a Jeep Renegade, regardless of fuel economy. After selling a car this afternoon, I was allowed to swap!

Now in one the same as this...

2021-jeep-renegade-80th-anniversary-slate-blue-pearlcoat-0-m.jpg

Gas guzzling Chelsea tractor...:whistle:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Says the guy who drove around in an ambulance :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Never got to use it to go to Aldi, though. :P

That said, 30+ years ago when I was a rookie and didn't know better, the guy I was crewed up with was a bit of a rogue and in between calls, he drove to get a Christmas tree and 2 frozen turkeys which he put in the back of the ambulance and took them home. That was in the days before satellite tracking and the only way the control room dispatchers would know you were available for a call was if you told them.

• Haha 1

Just now, Parafox said:

That said, 30+ years ago when I was a rookie and didn't know better, the guy I was crewed up with was a bit of a rogue and in between calls, he drove to get a Christmas tree and 2 frozen turkeys which he put in the back of the ambulance and took them home. That was in the days before satellite tracking and the only way the control room dispatchers would know you were available for a call was if you told them.

You can't even get away with doing that in an Amazon van!

The Jeep is only a 1 litre, actually pretty economical. Not really my cup of tea, but a nicer drive than the Tipo estate.

Would love it if someone with a bit of market knowledge would let me know if I'm getting a fair deal. 

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSI 14 reg with no issues (apparently) and a 1 year warranty. 28k miles on the clock. Price is £9300. Upon inspection everything seems pretty good and the dealer services it and does a quality check. I was expecting to get a bit more for my money tbh hence wanting to check but since the last time I bought a car, prices for used cars seem much higher. 

6 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Would love it if someone with a bit of market knowledge would let me know if I'm getting a fair deal. 

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSI 14 reg with no issues (apparently) and a 1 year warranty. 28k miles on the clock. Price is £9300. Upon inspection everything seems pretty good and the dealer services it and does a quality check. I was expecting to get a bit more for my money tbh hence wanting to check but since the last time I bought a car, prices for used cars seem much higher. 

Market is mental at the minute.

Some cars have risen 40% in price in the last 18 months. 

If you'd like to PM me the reg and mileage, I'll be more than happy to cross check the values and make sure it's priced correctly :thumbup:

• Thanks 1