Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

33 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Learning is a right ball ache at the minute. I'm not far off of being able to take my test, but bookings for theory and practical tests are a joke. Have had to wait 2 months to do my theory tomorrow then found out if I do pass, the earliest I can get a practical is April 22. WTFFFFF??? 5 months!

Had my practical on the 28th October in Wigston (failed due to going 33 in a 30) :mellow: with 6 minors, was fuming. Anyways, I've got another practical on the 17th November in Wigston, used this site https://fasterdrivingtest.co.uk/update/19678/219c355

and yeah, got another test within 3 weeks.

It's 11 quid, they scan for cancellations and if you turn on auto book, they book it with the DVSA for you. What you would have to do is book the test in April, pay for the test, and get your test reference no.

Then sign up to this site, pick a more suitable time frame, then let them auto scan for cancellations at your date and test centre. Was really easy got this test date within a week and half of signing up.

Edited by HEGGSY

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in speaking to someone who is getting an i4, the i4M looks monstrous and similar performance to the Tesla 3 performance and similar BIK. 

Probably going to be between Tesla long range model 3 / i4 (probably not the M unfortunately) for the next car. Electric charging points at work meaning I wont have to have one installed at home and range is 360 in the long range which will cover most weekend driving. 

Drove a Tesla last week, weird sensation not having any dashboard and automatic breaking is a bit weird. 0-60 in 3 seconds is a surreal sensation and overall at the end i was gutted to be handing it back. Drawbacks would be the middle screen is a bit distracting as all of the controls are on there inc. wipers etc. The right indicator selects N P D R which is a very strange sensation and would be hard to get used to. The way it sticks to the ground is unbelievable, it is a weighty car at around 1800kg but is AWD but feels so much more planted and safer than my rear wheel drive BMW 

Edited by JonnyBoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyBoy said:

I would be interested in speaking to someone who is getting an i4, the i4M looks monstrous and similar performance to the Tesla 3 performance and similar BIK. 

Probably going to be between Tesla long range model 3 / i4 (probably not the M unfortunately) for the next car. Electric charging points at work meaning I wont have to have one installed at home and range is 360 in the long range which will cover most weekend driving. 

Drove a Tesla last week, weird sensation not having any dashboard and automatic breaking is a bit weird. 0-60 in 3 seconds is a surreal sensation and overall at the end i was gutted to be handing it back. Drawbacks would be the middle screen is a bit distracting as all of the controls are on there inc. wipers etc. The right indicator selects N P D R which is a very strange sensation and would be hard to get used to. The way it sticks to the ground is unbelievable, it is a weighty car at around 1800kg but is AWD but feels so much more planted and safer than my rear wheel drive BMW 

You'll soon get used to the braking. It's so easy to drive once you do that you won't even notice it. It also means your pads and discs will take years to wear out. 

The left stalk has a button on the end which will give you a manual wipe of the screen, but yeah, having all the other wiper settings on the screen can be a bit of a pain. You'll also find the auto-wiping is overly sensitive as Tesla decided in their infinite wisdom that they wouldn't use a simple sensor that has been used on cars for years and costs pennies, but over engineer their own solution which doesn't work as well. 

Over the last week-or-so, I've been getting a LOT of condensation of a morning inside the car. 

I realised last night why: the passenger side footwell was absolutely sodden. 

I've cleared out the water drainage as best I can (the passenger side underneath the windscreen was particularly clogged with detritus), but with a convertible it's almost impossible to know what the issue is without extensive trial and error. It could be getting in anywhere.

I hate cars. 

9 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Over the last week-or-so, I've been getting a LOT of condensation of a morning inside the car. 

I've cleared out the water drainage as best I can (the passenger side underneath the windscreen was particularly clogged with detritus), but with a convertible it's almost impossible to know what the issue is without extensive trial and error. It could be getting in anywhere.

I hate cars. 

Definitely need a new motor. Hit me up.

I'll forget I ever saw this post and give you top dollar for your car. 

"No problems with the roof is there?"

Say no lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I hate cars. 

Hire a smoke machine set it up and turn it on inside the car and see where the smoke comes out. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2021 at 10:08, RoboFox said:

I hate cars. 

I had that exact issue in my old Seat Leon. 

It was one of the rubber door seals letting in water. They're easy enough to check. Look round the rubber seal to make sure it isn't corroded away any where and that it's properly pushed in and tight all the way round. 

Mine was the rear door, and the water would run forwards into the front footwell. I still never got it spot on, and it was like that when I traded it in (which I didn't tell them about). 

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2021 at 23:11, Steven said:

Hire a smoke machine set it up and turn it on inside the car and see where the smoke comes out. :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I had that exact issue in my old Seat Leon. 

It was one of the rubber door seals letting in water. They're easy enough to check. Look round the rubber seal to make sure it isn't corroded away any where and that it's properly pushed in and tight all the way round. 

Mine was the rear door, and the water would run forwards into the front footwell. I still never got it spot on, and it was like that when I traded it in (which I didn't tell them about). 

Thanks my dudes. 

I think the windscreen water drainage might've fixed it. I'll do some more testing at the weekend. 

Basically if water is allowed to pool there, you can get ingress via the pollen filter, which can in turn enter over the heating box and directly under the carpet - which would explain why I'm not getting any visible signs of leakage via doors or the roof. 

If it's not a fix, then I'll be following these tips! 

• Like 1

Just now, RoboFox said:

Thanks my dudes. 

I think the windscreen water drainage might've fixed it. I'll do some more testing at the weekend. 

Basically if water is allowed to pool there, you can get ingress via the pollen filter, which can in turn enter over the heating box and directly under the carpet - which would explain why I'm not getting any visible signs of leakage via doors or the roof. 

If it's not a fix, then I'll be following these tips! 

I've heard of that before, coming in via the pollen filter at the bottom of the windscreen, or where there are drainage holes blocked up with crud. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:56, HEGGSY said:

Had my practical on the 28th October in Wigston (failed due to going 33 in a 30) :mellow: with 6 minors, was fuming. Anyways, I've got another practical on the 17th November in Wigston, used this site https://fasterdrivingtest.co.uk/update/19678/219c355

and yeah, got another test within 3 weeks.

It's 11 quid, they scan for cancellations and if you turn on auto book, they book it with the DVSA for you. What you would have to do is book the test in April, pay for the test, and get your test reference no.

Then sign up to this site, pick a more suitable time frame, then let them auto scan for cancellations at your date and test centre. Was really easy got this test date within a week and half of signing up.

Did you pass?

40 minutes ago, Milo said:

Went In to have a closer look at one of these yesterday. 

I’m pretty much sold on it - downside is the lead time (March next year). 😕 And the badge, obviously. 

This is nuts…:D

They look a good car and I've heard good things about them. 

Got my Ioniq 5 last Monday. It's way better than I hoped so far...

Been on 2 x 190 mile round trips to the KP and I've got as low as having 6% battery left on it, but that's with 90% motorway driving and the heating cranked up!

It's so comfortable, feels like it's floating along the road. The seats are superb as well. Got the one with the heads up display and AR sat nav etc... Really struggling to find any faults at all with it. It's got so much space inside, feels really premium. I've had some nice cars in the past (Merc, Disco, XC60) and was a bit put off by the badge on this initially, but what you get for your money is, in my opinion, outstanding.

Got it in Matt Grey, same as below on the same wheels.

image.jpeg.ac6e97400967b4bd6a8440ebef3b5160.jpeg

• Like 4

On 30/11/2021 at 10:43, Milo said:

I’m pretty much sold on it - downside is the lead time (March next year). 😕 And the badge, obviously. 

That's a good lead time.

Be prepared to get in June/July though!

Global problem, every manufacturer is the same.

On 30/11/2021 at 10:43, Milo said:

I like the badge snobbery - my last 3 cars have been Kias and it means I get a really nice better spec’d car for way less than a BMW/Audi etc. although unfortunately they are putting up their prices lately. The build quality is fantastic, I’ve never had a problem with any car, not even a minor one. Can’t say the same for Mercedes…

I’ve got a Soul EV at the moment which was much cheaper than the VW ID3 I almost got, and is way more premium, obviously badge aside. Hyundai/Kia are behind Tesla but otherwise leading the pack on EVs, I’ll probably get an EV6 once my lease ends - looks amazing for the money and nicer styling and finish than a model 3 IMHO. 

Edited by danny.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

That's a good lead time.

Be prepared to get in June/July though!

Global problem, every manufacturer is the same.

I’ve asked a few dealers and it seems to depend on the spec. The one I’m after is supposedly landing in March/April-ish. But yeah, could be longer. 

What do you reckon will happen to the second hand market? I’ve got a surprising amount of equity in mine at the moment - but don’t want to sell yet and not have a car for the next few months. 

Similarly, I don’t want to hang on too long and the price drop!! 

3 hours ago, Milo said:

I’ve asked a few dealers and it seems to depend on the spec. The one I’m after is supposedly landing in March/April-ish. But yeah, could be longer. 

What do you reckon will happen to the second hand market? I’ve got a surprising amount of equity in mine at the moment - but don’t want to sell yet and not have a car for the next few months. 

They're very slightly decreasing in the last couple of weeks, only by a few hundred quid.

I can't see the bottom falling out the market for a while yet though, not until new car production gets back to normal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Milo said:

Have you thought about looking into leases? I pay £209/mo for a ~£37k car on a 9/36 month deal. Seem to be some really good lease deals on EVs.

26 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Shout out to @tom27111 for helping me via DM. 

Anyone looking to buy a car then give our fellow blue a message you won’t regret it, top guy. 

I've said this before and I dont want to get him too big headed but @tom27111 really does seem a decent bloke. 

Cant believe hes a car salesman!!!🤣😁

• Haha 2

Not the best of personal motoring times yesterday.

When driving back home, my gearbox (in a manual car) had failed, leaving only number '3' and '5' to work..

Had to park safely on the side of a busy A-road, and waited 2 hours for an AA driver to come (who was very helpful).

Edited by Wymsey

Anyone got any experience of the Jag i-pace? Currently driving a 66 plate XF portfolio 2L diesel but mileage is around the 90k mark which is where i usually like to think about replacement.

Really would like to go EV but still wary of the limited range issues. Conversely don't want to buy a new(ish) diesel and get left with something that has little or no resale value in a few years time.

Last two cars have been jags and have been very happy with them but am more than happy to consider other marques.

One issue for me at present is that most of the EV/hybrids around seem to be catering for the SUV market, with little out there in respect of normal saloons (although the latest IoniQ does look quite nice at first glance)

• Like 1