Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

1 hour ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Shout out to @tom27111 for helping me via DM. 

Anyone looking to buy a car then give our fellow blue a message you won’t regret it, top guy. 

Did you ask him if you get it cheaper if you show him your Tesco club card…

:ph34r:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, urban fox said:

Anyone got any experience of the Jag i-pace? Currently driving a 66 plate XF portfolio 2L diesel but mileage is around the 90k mark which is where i usually like to think about replacement.

Really would like to go EV but still wary of the limited range issues. Conversely don't want to buy a new(ish) diesel and get left with something that has little or no resale value in a few years time.

Last two cars have been jags and have been very happy with them but am more than happy to consider other marques.

One issue for me at present is that most of the EV/hybrids around seem to be catering for the SUV market, with little out there in respect of normal saloons (although the latest IoniQ does look quite nice at first glance)

I've got exactly the same on a 67 plate with 40k miles and absolutely delighted with it.

I briefly looked at a new i-pace but once I'd added on all the 'extras' it came to about £85k and I can't justify spending that on a motor.

Probably going to keep mine for at least another 5 years tbh. I look after it and get it regularly serviced so it should last me fine.

Would love an EV one day but it's just not a priority right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I've got exactly the same on a 67 plate with 40k miles and absolutely delighted with it.

I briefly looked at a new i-pace but once I'd added on all the 'extras' it came to about £85k and I can't justify spending that on a motor.

Probably going to keep mine for at least another 5 years tbh. I look after it and get it regularly serviced so it should last me fine.

Would love an EV one day but it's just not a priority right now.

Ouch that hurts.

This is part of the problem though. I bought mine as an ex demonstrator with only 3.5K on the clock and it came fully loaded, 20" Alloys, sunroof etc etc. and i paid just over 32K (about 11k under list for a "branny"). The starting prices for EVs are still too expensive and there simply are no decent "nearly new" ones around to bring the prices down as of yet.

If mine only had 40k on the clock i would have no intention of chopping it in for a few more years but another twelve months and it will be getting to the point where it starts to lose value quite rapidly. Think i may just have to replace with like for like this time round and hope that EV prices start to become more realistic over the next 4/5 years

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Ouch that hurts.

This is part of the problem though. I bought mine as an ex demonstrator with only 3.5K on the clock and it came fully loaded, 20" Alloys, sunroof etc etc. and i paid just over 32K (about 11k under list for a "branny"). The starting prices for EVs are still too expensive and there simply are no decent "nearly new" ones around to bring the prices down as of yet.

If mine only had 40k on the clock i would have no intention of chopping it in for a few more years but another twelve months and it will be getting to the point where it starts to lose value quite rapidly. Think i may just have to replace with like for like this time round and hope that EV prices start to become more realistic over the next 4/5 years

Your portfolio sounds the nuts. In hindsight I should have done more research on mine as only 19" alloys, no sunroof, memory seats or touch pro system (but it's AWD and I love the leather interior)

I know what you mean about 'nearly new' EV's. I think of it like buying a second hand i-phone where the maximum battery performance is only like 78% :D

I guess yours will be coming up to 100k miles soon and there's something psychological for me that they lose more value when hitting that milestone (which is probably bollocks).

I mean yours will probably do 200k miles without breaking sweat so there's probably lots of life left in her yet. 

The joys and dilemmas of motoring!

11 hours ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Shout out to @tom27111 for helping me via DM. 

Anyone looking to buy a car then give our fellow blue a message you won’t regret it, top guy. 

Second this!

I’ve been looking for a specific car with a specific spec and within my price range it’s proving pretty hard to find one. Tom has been great with giving advise and looking for me, We kept in contact via WhatsApp and when anything came up he was the first to send me photos before it even went on autotrader. 

Unfortunately the used car market is crazy at the minute and what I want neither me or Tom can find something which is right for me. Hopefully next year it slows down a bit.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Second this!

I’ve been looking for a specific car with a specific spec and within my price range it’s proving pretty hard to find one. Tom has been great with giving advise and looking for me, We kept in contact via WhatsApp and when anything came up he was the first to send me photos before it even went on autotrader. 

Unfortunately the used car market is crazy at the minute and what I want neither me or Tom can find something which is right for me. Hopefully next year it slows down a bit.

Still looking mate! Not forgotten about you, genuinely nothing suitable has come on the market.

Thank you for your kind words and being realistic in your expectations :thumbup:

Haven't messaged for a while because I don't want to waste your time! You'll be the first to know if there's something that might work for you.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 11:28, urban fox said:

Anyone got any experience of the Jag i-pace? Currently driving a 66 plate XF portfolio 2L diesel but mileage is around the 90k mark which is where i usually like to think about replacement.

Really would like to go EV but still wary of the limited range issues. Conversely don't want to buy a new(ish) diesel and get left with something that has little or no resale value in a few years time.

Last two cars have been jags and have been very happy with them but am more than happy to consider other marques.

One issue for me at present is that most of the EV/hybrids around seem to be catering for the SUV market, with little out there in respect of normal saloons (although the latest IoniQ does look quite nice at first glance)

Yea my friend has one. I don’t like it TBH. It’s quick and drives well but other than that it’s the same range as my EV, less tech and double the price. Also it’s really, really pokey inside. I’m 6’3” TBF but even with the seat all the way back my knees are touching the glove box and head height is poor. It’s a big car too, just with a huge boot and large bonnet. 

I wouldn’t bother, I’d wait for an EV6 or Ioniq 5 as they are much better cars and less. If you want one now you’d get way more for £85k with Tesla. 

11 hours ago, danny. said:

Yea my friend has one. I don’t like it TBH. It’s quick and drives well but other than that it’s the same range as my EV, less tech and double the price. Also it’s really, really pokey inside. I’m 6’3” TBF but even with the seat all the way back my knees are touching the glove box and head height is poor. It’s a big car too, just with a huge boot and large bonnet. 

I wouldn’t bother, I’d wait for an EV6 or Ioniq 5 as they are much better cars and less. If you want one now you’d get way more for £85k with Tesla. 

Heard the same elsewhere. No way can I spend that sort of dosh on a car and there lies the problem. Until EVs come down to somewhere near what you would be paying for a normal luxury car (ie about half that at least) or there is a decent recent second market they are going to be outside the reach of even reasonably affluent folk.

2 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Heard the same elsewhere. No way can I spend that sort of dosh on a car and there lies the problem. Until EVs come down to somewhere near what you would be paying for a normal luxury car (ie about half that at least) or there is a decent recent second market they are going to be outside the reach of even reasonably affluent folk.

I can sort you out a fully electric Peugeot 2008!

Whilst not a luxury brand, they're a surprisingly good car.

I had a very dim view of Peugeot when I started this job, but the customer loyalty is absolutely outrageous. 

People come back every 3 years for a new one, for me, that speaks volumes. 

I've also had people trade in Land Rovers, Audis and Mercs for a new electric 2008.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 11:28, urban fox said:

Director had one for two weeks, said it was the best car for the money he has driven, and it is rapid. Good quality build and a lot of car 

would get is specc'd though, basic model wheels are hideous, more tyre than alloy 

Edited by JonnyBoy

I'm considering replacing my stop-start car battery, but am worried that disconnecting the old battery would mess up the car's electronics. I'd like to know how easy it is to fit a new one and keep the voltage present all the time. Presumably connecting jump leads between the car's +ve and -ve terminals and the new battery before disconnecting the old one is one method. However, this seems fraught with danger. An alternative method using a gizmo to store the car's electronic information would be far too complicated for me. 

59 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I'm considering replacing my stop-start car battery, but am worried that disconnecting the old battery would mess up the car's electronics. I'd like to know how easy it is to fit a new one and keep the voltage present all the time. Presumably connecting jump leads between the car's +ve and -ve terminals and the new battery before disconnecting the old one is one method. However, this seems fraught with danger. An alternative method using a gizmo to store the car's electronic information would be far too complicated for me. 

From what I understand, it won't mess up your electrics. 

You might have to save your stored radio stations again, but it shouldn't do anything to adversely affect your vehicle.

If you purchase the battery from Halfords, they'll fit it for about a tenner. Might be worth asking them?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Is there anywhere that is genuinely cheaper than anywhere else for tyres? Need a pair of Goodyear 4 Seasons and they seem to be the pretty much the same price everywhere (i.e. well expensive)

I had 4 tyres put on a few months ago, I shopped about and found Kwik Fit were the cheapest.

They also run offers, think I got an extra 10% off for buying 4 and a free night in a hotel.

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I had 4 tyres put on a few months ago, I shopped about and found Kwik Fit were the cheapest.

They also run offers, think I got an extra 10% off for buying 4 and a free night in a hotel.

I hadn't actually looked at them, but although their prices seem pretty competitive they don't do that specific tyre unfortunately

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...