Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Unfortunately that symbol can mean a multitude of things on Audis. It's a standard "there's a fault somewhere" symbol. 

Even if you hook it up to a reader it could show several common faults which might be causing it. Could be anything from exhaust sensors to glow/spark plugs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I’ve known a faulty filler cap cause an emissions error, but even a cheap code reader will say which sensor has gone, but they won’t tell you if it’s a blocked valve as they only pick up the electrical system. Shame really because I think the egr valve on an A3 is really accessible on the top of the engine and you only have to remove the top cover and air filter cover, remove 3 bolts and either clean it or replace it for about 80 quid. About an hours work if you’re slow. 

I've done a few EGR valves, either cleaned, blanked off or replaced. As you say, the A3 is easy to get to but it may not be the issue in the first place as I've known garages to guess. I looked at a neighbours Yaris last week with same light on, my reader told me it was a Lambda sensor. £15.00 and 10 minutes to do. Garage had told her it would cost her for a diagnostic check plus parts and labour...

The trouble with using a code reader (if you're unfamiliar with them or non mechanic) is that it may show an historic fault that hasn't been cleared or rectified and be nothing to do with the fault light. It certainly won't tell you if it's a faulty filler cap.

Get the code read and go from there.

2 hours ago, jgtuk said:

I've done a few EGR valves, either cleaned, blanked off or replaced. As you say, the A3 is easy to get to but it may not be the issue in the first place as I've known garages to guess. I looked at a neighbours Yaris last week with same light on, my reader told me it was a Lambda sensor. £15.00 and 10 minutes to do. Garage had told her it would cost her for a diagnostic check plus parts and labour...

The trouble with using a code reader (if you're unfamiliar with them or non mechanic) is that it may show an historic fault that hasn't been cleared or rectified and be nothing to do with the fault light. It certainly won't tell you if it's a faulty filler cap.

Get the code read and go from there.

I didn’t mean it will tell you directly, but it will tell if there is low pressure in the fuel system, p0455, which can result from a blocked filler cap causing a vacuum in the tank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I didn’t mean it will tell you directly, but it will tell if there is low pressure in the fuel system, p0455, which can result from a blocked filler cap causing a vacuum in the tank

Sorry, wasn’t disagreeing with you, just adding context to what you said. For someone who has no experience with code readers it can just confuse and be of no benefit hence suggesting getting someone to do it for you. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Is there a warning light like this on because that 's an mot failure so you're going to have to get it fixed.  Have they actually diagnosed an egr valve

engine-warning-light-head.jpg

That comes on now and again with the flashing plug light which makes it go into limp mode. It’s like it chooses when to come on. Normally when I drive more than like 15 miles.

Dropped it into the garage this morning for a  mot + service and the light didn’t come on lol 

22 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

That comes on now and again with the flashing plug light which makes it go into limp mode. It’s like it chooses when to come on. Normally when I drive more than like 15 miles.

Dropped it into the garage this morning for a  mot + service and the light didn’t come on lol 

Go to a shell garage and start using v power fuel.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 19:41, tom27111 said:

The vast majority of you on here know I sell cars for a living.

Tried to find a few of you on here a new car, with little success so far (see post above about used car market)!

My boss has told me today, if any of you buy off me, we'll do our best to give you a good saving, but that is proving difficult. 

We will however give all of you free Diamondbrite, our paint and interior protection.

I've slagged it off before, simply because of the price of it and the mark up we make on it.

It is a good product, never doubted that, but at £299 it is expensive.

If anyone on here buys from me, we'll throw it in for free :thumbup:

Keen to sort out as many of you as I can.

Hi Tom

i'm potentially looking for an plug in hybrid SUV or estate.

on my list is Mitsubishi outlander or toyata auris

Do you have any on your books atm?

i may trade in my current Audi A6 estate (2011 model, 75k miles)

41 minutes ago, polarbear said:

Hi Tom

i'm potentially looking for an plug in hybrid SUV or estate.

on my list is Mitsubishi outlander or toyata auris

Do you have any on your books atm?

i may trade in my current Audi A6 estate (2011 model, 75k miles)

I've got a few I can get hold of.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Any particular age and mileage?

And specific features on the car?

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I've got a few I can get hold of.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Any particular age and mileage?

And specific features on the car?

Between 7 to 10k

No specific features 

Id like to keep the miles and age as low as possible, but i guess with a hybrid the bsttery condition is more important 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SystonFox said:

Drove a Tesla model 3 yesterday. Scary stupid quick. 

how on earth do you drive it normally? Put my foot down and flew

They're very smooth and easy to drive once the novelty of face melting acceleration wears off. Point and squeeze, lift off to slow down. 

Edited by The Bear

Anyone own or got recommendations on an EV? We are looking to put something in place for the durectors at work and I think we will be allowed up to something with an OTR of £70K, looking briefly most EV are very expensive. The Mercedes EQC looks decent but I don't know anyone who has had one? The i-pace is over £70K and to get a non entry level E-tron its over £70K. The BIK on EV's is currently 1% and going up to 2% which is still peanuts, the £500 car allowance days are dead in the water now EV's are more on the scene. 

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone own or got recommendations on an EV? We are looking to put something in place for the durectors at work and I think we will be allowed up to something with an OTR of £70K, looking briefly most EV are very expensive. The Mercedes EQC looks decent but I don't know anyone who has had one? The i-pace is over £70K and to get a non entry level E-tron its over £70K. The BIK on EV's is currently 1% and going up to 2% which is still peanuts, the £500 car allowance days are dead in the water now EV's are more on the scene. 

If you can deal with the badge snobbery issue, the Kia EV6 looks pretty awesome. It’s currently the front runner to coaxing me out of my decades long ownership of various spec Range Rovers.

Top of the range spec on the EV6 will be about £55k, so you can even host an FT Christmas party with the change.

I honestly can’t see the difference to the uber-expensive £70k plus makes, apart from the badge. So, as I said, if you can get over that hurdle then you’re laughing. 

52 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I can offer a top end Peugeot 2008.

Probably not what you're looking for though!

I have one that is about to arrive imminently and available for sale.

Surprisingly, I've had people part ex Land Rovers and Audis for one.

27 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I can offer a top end Peugeot 2008.

Probably not what you're looking for though!

I have one that is about to arrive imminently and available for sale.

Surprisingly, I've had people part ex Land Rovers and Audis for one.

Equally surprised!

1 hour ago, Milo said:

If you can deal with the badge snobbery issue, the Kia EV6 looks pretty awesome. It’s currently the front runner to coaxing me out of my decades long ownership of various spec Range Rovers.

Top of the range spec on the EV6 will be about £55k, so you can even host an FT Christmas party with the change.

I honestly can’t see the difference to the uber-expensive £70k plus makes, apart from the badge. So, as I said, if you can get over that hurdle then you’re laughing. 

Interesting, just read a review and especially the speed seems pretty epic...but but but, its a KIA :sweating:

The list price isnt really an issue, as it will be a company car - it just means I'll be paying slightly more tax, but even at 2% on list price @ 40% its costs about an extra fiver a month on something for 50K or 70K

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Equally surprised!

It happens though!

It may be more of an environment thing going from a premium brand combustion engine to a 'lesser brand' fully electric.

Since working at Peugeot, I've been amazed how loyal the customer base is though.

The majority of our new cars are sold to customers trading in their old Peugeot and this is their 3rd or 4th time.

Kia, Hyundai, VW, BMW, Tesla....

They're all decent cars nowadays. Just depends what you want in them and how much you can afford. 

Check out Polestar too. They're newish, part of Volvo, but look very nice executive sized cars. 

https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar-2/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwiY6MBhBqEiwARFSCPs6OxdLT2IyBPLg7nbTYwd1BsaMAG27zr4lpg2gJs5StNL_ptiegoBoCbvMQAvD_BwE

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1