Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

How did we win the league?

Second balls.

The Championship taught us to play to percentages and fight for every ball. We do this better than anyone bar maybe Liverpool when Klopp has them going. For example;

Territory is better than posession. Kasper booting it out 2 thirds up the pitch is better than rolling it out, playing 10 passes, wasting 60 seconds and being dispossessed on the halfway line. Yes, those risky long balls don't always come off, but worst case scenario is we are higher up the pitch and therefore winning posession higher up the pitch gives more gaps to exploit as the opposition are unprepared for it. In any case, with 10 seconds worth of posession we have made a more positive move to getting it towards the opponents goals than most teams who try to play out. Speed + Territory = Efficiency

Of course you can add other factors already mentioned to this.

Big Nige said a couple of months ago that nobody had worked us out yet and he is right. Being a counter attacking team and defending well simplifys it a bit too much.

Agreed, but how do you explain the huge step up from last year's performance level.

I was adding to what others were saying, rather than making a stand-alone point - so, I agree with a lot of what others have said by way of explanation, but felt the quality amongst the players deserved a mention.

Timing and alignment, everything right at the right time, I think.

10 reasons I think we won the league:

1. The nucleus of the team won the championship and survived the great escape. They'd been through pressure at both ends of the scale so were well experienced to deal with it this time around

2. CR played it cool as a cucumber all season. His approach was perfect and he got the media and crowd on side from day 1. He took the heat and expectation off the players brilliantly

3. We've got no billy big bollux prima donnas upsetting the team spirit. Pretty much every player had a point to prove and shove it in the faces of those who'd written them off. I think this gave them the extra 10% motivation

4. All the players get along on and off the pitch - "like brothers" as Wes said. It was clear they all put the team before themselves and it wasn't about personal accolades.

5. The clappers :thumbup: and our incredible atmosphere. Unrivaled in the PL and our crowd was the 12th man when needed

6. We were fortunate with injuries, but our sports science team is the best in the business

7. We had bit of luck. But you make your own luck and we've had years of shit luck so we were due some

8. The top 4 weren't as good as usual - so that helped

9. Kante. Let's be honest, he's far too good for us lol

10. All the stars aligned. It was just our time.

Miracles do happen..

Yet another super post matey boy.

We could be brothers from another mother.

:thumbup:

First and foremost I'm an England fan. Italia 90 got me into football (when I was 5).

1791776-37832811-2560-1440.jpg?w=1050

So much Kane hate on this forum :( He even went out on loan to you!

Regarding your final point, that is the reason for the dislike. He didn't put any effort whatsoever into his loan spell, and seemed more interested in styling his hair. It didn't help matters that he'd played well for Millwall before joining us so we all had high expectations. He just didn't buy into the work ethos of the squad, yet this hasn't been the case since he broke into the Spurs squad which further exemplified his attitude whilst on loan to us. Finally, add his immature celebrations whenever he's scored against us, plus his silly comments regarding the title chase and I'm sure you can understand why he might be disliked by our fans. I wouldn't say he is 'Hated' just think most fans see him as a talented player who happens to be a bit of a tool.

First and foremost I'm an England fan. Italia 90 got me into football (when I was 5).

I prefer Great Britain. I don't know why they only let us play once every 4 years, I have to spend the rest of my time following Leicester just to pass the time.  

Let's be honest, we haven't won the league with a bunch of chumps. This is a team that was playing like a European team the back half of last season.

Throw in Fuchs, Kanté and Okazaki along with a coach who has been at the top of the game for over a decade. It really isn't that much of a surprise we did well this season.

I suppose the greatest surprise is that we've managed to get through a whole season without the first team being majorly disrupted by injury, tiredness or suspension.

I really think with clever investment there is absolutely no reason we can't compete on all fronts next season

Guest CityFan 06

There's a variety of factors in us winning the league.

The players - They try their best 100% each game, they support each other, help each other and attack/defend as a team. With quality added in between all that as well.

The manager - This season, Ranieri has been absolutely excellent throughout. He excels at tactical work, with both our team and analysing the opposition. He also comes across very well in interviews. Classy man. Worth a mention to Nigel Pearson, who layed the foundations for CR to build on.

The fans - We've won the team many points this season, especially at home. There's been lots of times throughout the season where the fans have been there when the team needed us. Villa at home is a key example of this, 0-2 down, but we carried on being the 12th man and won the game 3-2. Support from fans is very important in any success.

I prefer Great Britain. I don't know why they only let us play once every 4 years, I have to spend the rest of my time following Leicester just to pass the time.  

Great Britain didn't play for 52 years, and haven't for the past 4 years.

England play like 10 times per year.

Not sure I get your point? Is being an England fan first not realistic to you?

Ranieri, tactically very astute - we started off very excitingly as we scored loads and let loads in but he saw it wasn't sustainable (particularly after the Arsenal game) and tightened us up - the fullbacks stay narrow to avoid exposing Huth and Morgan's lack of pace. We're very compact vertically and deny teams space to play in whilst opening it up ahead of us so Vardy and Mahrez could thrive on the counter.

Morgan doesn't lack for pace at all. He's a big lad, yes. But he's not slow. In fact he's the 10th fastest in the premiership!

Morgan doesn't lack for pace at all. He's a big lad, yes. But he's not slow. In fact he's the 10th fastest in the premiership!

I've seen that stat so many times but I find that hard to believe. I can easily name you 20 PL players who are faster than Morgan.

I've seen that stat so many times but I find that hard to believe. I can easily name you 20 PL players who are faster than Morgan.

Soon as opinions become the official premiership speed recorder, in believe you. Until then, we can only go by fact.

We found a winning tactical formula.

Defend in numbers and in banks of four plus Okazaki buzzing around everywhere then use vardys pace on the break to gain territory quickly and directly.

But you need the belief, work rate and team work to be able to all buy into the style which we had. Our defence is no nonsense clear the ball however possible and our attack is quick, skilful and direct. We managed to find a way to complement and link this defensive style to our attacking style. Quite simple but incredibly effective as well.

10 reasons I think we won the league:

1. The nucleus of the team won the championship and survived the great escape. They'd been through pressure at both ends of the scale so were well experienced to deal with it this time around

2. CR played it cool as a cucumber all season. His approach was perfect and he got the media and crowd on side from day 1. He took the heat and expectation off the players brilliantly

3. We've got no billy big bollux prima donnas upsetting the team spirit. Pretty much every player had a point to prove and shove it in the faces of those who'd written them off. I think this gave them the extra 10% motivation

4. All the players get along on and off the pitch - "like brothers" as Wes said. It was clear they all put the team before themselves and it wasn't about personal accolades.

5. The clappers :thumbup: and our incredible atmosphere. Unrivaled in the PL and our crowd was the 12th man when needed

6. We were fortunate with injuries, but our sports science team is the best in the business

7. We had bit of luck. But you make your own luck and we've had years of shit luck so we were due some

8. The top 4 weren't as good as usual - so that helped

9. Kante. Let's be honest, he's far too good for us  lol

10. All the stars aligned. It was just our time. 

Miracles do happen..

Brilliant analysis, although I would add a couple of things.

I think the overall speed and fitness of the team was vital: watching Vardy run down opposing defenders was just scary, and won us a lot of points! And the fact that none of the players ever seemed to get tired, no matter how much effort they had put in, was amazing to watch.

And I think the fact that they clearly enjoy what they do is massively important. The defenders like defending, the midfield players like bossing the midfield, players like Vardy, Ulloa, Okazaki and Mahrez like to attack, love scoring goals. It really showed when Albrighton scored against Swansea: it was the fourth goal in a 4-0 win, five minutes from the end - so all a bit "Meh, whatever?" Yet every outfield player ran to congratulate him, all smiles, all laughing, joining in the moment. That must make a difference.

If youre old enough, think back to euro 96 and could you ever envisage us winning the premier league in 20 years time? (doesnt sound that crazy but its not like we gradually strengthened year after year - we dropped 2 divisions!!

cant remember the year blackburn won it but was around 20 years ago and how long was it after they beat us in the play-off final?

that was a massive achievement although would you say they "bought" the title? (obviously it will be peanuts compared to todays spending)

2 players who can create a goal from nothing, the best ball-winning midfielder in the country if not Europe, an experienced back 5, balanced by incredibly hard working players around them.

And a manger who drilled them as a unit to bring out each other's strengths and cover each other's weaknesses.

Agree with the list, it definitely kick started from the Great Escape.

Then everything seemed to fall into place after that.Am just curious as to how the Great Escape was triggered ? Because it was like a switch being turned on and we never looked back.

Agree with the list, it definitely kick started from the Great Escape.

Then everything seemed to fall into place after that.Am just curious as to how the Great Escape was triggered ? Because it was like a switch being turned on and we never looked back.

Huth and 5 at the back

(Schlupp in for Konchesky)

Schmeichel coming back better than ever

(Upson not playing again)

Cambiasso masterminding it (with Ulloa assisting)

And then Albrighton and 3 at the back - was the final ingredient that made it all click, we were still shit until then.

How on earth did we finish above the mighty Tottenham Hotspur?

It's a complete mystery!

They played magical football all season, free flowing, attractive,... It was like watching Brazil of 1970!

We just lobbed it up to Jamie Vardy and hoped for the best!!

..don't know how we won the title it's a mystery!!

Archived