Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

How did we win the league?

With the addition of some quality signings - Fuchs and Kante, somehow several of our players improved so dramatically as to be unrecognisable from the season before - Drinkwater, Vardy, Mahrez, Simpson and Morgan.

How did that happen?  And all at the same time.

10 reasons I think we won the league:

1. The nucleus of the team won the championship and survived the great escape. They'd been through pressure at both ends of the scale so were well experienced to deal with it this time around

2. CR played it cool as a cucumber all season. His approach was perfect and he got the media and crowd on side from day 1. He took the heat and expectation off the players brilliantly

3. We've got no billy big bollux prima donnas upsetting the team spirit. Pretty much every player had a point to prove and shove it in the faces of those who'd written them off. I think this gave them the extra 10% motivation

4. All the players get along on and off the pitch - "like brothers" as Wes said. It was clear they all put the team before themselves and it wasn't about personal accolades.

5. The clappers :thumbup: and our incredible atmosphere. Unrivaled in the PL and our crowd was the 12th man when needed

6. We were fortunate with injuries, but our sports science team is the best in the business

7. We had bit of luck. But you make your own luck and we've had years of shit luck so we were due some

8. The top 4 weren't as good as usual - so that helped

9. Kante. Let's be honest, he's far too good for us  lol

10. All the stars aligned. It was just our time. 

Miracles do happen..

1-6, yes. 8 & 10, maybe.

7 ... Really? Where was that luck when we hit the woodwork a few times home to West Brom? Or when Mahrez missed 2 penalties?

Let's be honest, with a big more luck, we'd have sewn it up vs West Ham, even with Vardy sent off.

9 ... This one's a joke, right?

Everything came together at the right time. Players, manager, form, a bit of luck. As Ranieri intimated, it happens every 20 years or so.

Can't remember this happening to any clubs like ours since 1996.

In fact this has never happened in the history of anything ever.

Can't remember this happening to any clubs like ours since 1996.

In fact this has never happened in the history of anything ever.

True. I meant things fall into place for teams every 20 years or so. But for sure it's never happened like this before, in the history of professional sport.

Our players are way better than anyone gives them credit for - people that say 'they have played above themselves' are deluded, that isn't possible - you can't be accidentally better than you actually have the potential to be.

1. The nucleus of the team won the championship and survived the great escape. They'd been through pressure at both ends of the scale so were well experienced to deal with it this time around

This is an important point and to expand, when we came up from the Championship with 100+ points we all knew we had a fantastic team:

-Some were taking about Drinkwater for England in that season and after a season to adjust he's now capped and been absolutely fantastic. Ever since he came he's proved his potential.

-Mahrez was a magician from the moment he stepped on the pitch at Leicester and it's no surprise he's gone as far as he has, we were all expecting it really.

-Vardy showed his worth in that promotion season, did the same again, and moved up another level this season, always had the pace and ability just needed the professional training to refine it.

-Schlupp's pace and power, despite his comedy moments, have always been known since he graduated from the academy. There's a reason he got a trial at Man U.

-King, we all know his worth and loyalty to the club and he's a great midfield utility player. Always stepped up when needed so not surprising he's done so again. Being top midfield goalscorer in the club's history is a mean feat even with all his time here.

-Morgan had been a fantastic defender at Championship level but loyalty to Forest and slipping under the radar meant he never progressed until late. Like the rest had a inconsistent first season but considering he was with either a 19yo academy graduate or a 35yo Polish defender, neither of which had PL experience, that understandable especially the marked improvement with a high quality PL-experienced CB partner.

-Wasyl had a quality season in the Championsho, was decent season last year, and has been good when called upon this year (minus the one Arsenal incident but who gives a hoot now?). Consistent.

-Schmeichel was always a great reactions keeper with the only weakness his command at corners (dealt with now with two experienced CBs who he can rely on) and sometimes his distribution.

That's a solid spine for a PL team and when you add players signed since promotion:

-Fuchs is an experienced international captain and had a good spell at a big German club with good European Competition showings only let go to accommodate a young promising player. Was always going to be a quality LB and always does his job.

-Chilwell has been fantastic down at LB when called upon, promising for the future if he signs on a contract extension.

-Huth, simply put, has always been a PL quality defender and has the experience to sure up the back and give Morgan the confidence to kick on and step up to become a formidable PL partnership.

-Simpson had been touted as having the potential of being international cap when younger but moved around and never really settling took its toll. Finally settled in a calm, friendly squad and been the solid RB he was touted to be.

-Albrighton again was touted as having great potential when younger and like Morgan loyalty to Villa stagnated him somewhat. Found his footing here and we all knew he was a dangerous crosser with a decent finish in a good position.

-Kante. What can I say what hasn't been said? Too good for us, best midfield tackler/interceptor in the Prem, if not Europe, if not the world.

-Demi Gray, massively rated winger, been on the wishlists of many a club with almost two seasons of Championship football under his belt by age 19, we knew we were getting flair and ability but the maturity of the lad is a real gift (just not when he's half a meter away from getting beheaded)z

-Amartey, we saw the video and knew he could be useful, a couple of handy cameos to his name and almost a cheeky goal at Sunderland(?) to boot.

-Okazaki has been brilliant foil for Vardy this season. Some iffy games where he's been too long on the floor but for the goals he scored and contributed to, along with his fantastic pressing and constantly running himself into the ground, I can easily forget it.

-Ulloa has came in when needed and delivered. His goals kept us up and gained us valuable points early doors last season and he's came back this season and done what's needed when called upon. Despite touches going amiss occasionally the goals at Norwich, Swansea and other kept morale going that we could push ourselves over the line and hold up play has been excellent as well.

Minus Vardy, Mahrez and Kante that's a midtable team. Put in those three and you're pushing for something even bigger. And that's without factoring Nige's legacy of a exquisite club structure, forefront of sports science, a capable and committed backroom staff, then the manager's fantastic tactical pedigree and media tempering and external factors like the big club's plight. Since the Norwich game I knew this team would do it and they've proved it.

Calling this a miracle in some way undemines the immense balance this team has, it really is quite extraordinary and I'd never thought I'd see the day, but this team destroyed that resignation by Christmas. Heroes one and all.

My theory is the players training regime. Think about it;

Are the defence going to play against a quicker striker than Vardy? Or a more tricky winger than Mahrez?

Are the midfielders going to have more time on the ball in a game, or against Kante in training?

Is Vardy/Okasaki/Ulloa etc gonna to have a harder time against Stones/Smalling/Otemendi etc or vs Wes, Was and Huth?

I think this is why Raneri always mentions the whole squad, because even when Inler isn't playing he's still there in training giving the lads a different type of challenge to overcome.

It's purely because of the under performance of the power house clubs.

Reverse the free / unexpected points Spurs and Leicester got against amazingly poor 'top teams' and the table looks a lot more like people would expect - and it's impossible to predict the change in the clubs' momentum and expectations had that happened.

Also no one took the Leicester title charge that seriously until March / April.. The Spurs Leicester (0-1 Huth) game in January was certainly not billed as a 'match for the title', when normally you can find the likes of Man City vs Chelsea in November being dubbed as a title decider.

I really don't understand the Spurs hate though. Baffles me - I just see both sets of supporters bringing shame to their fan bases, trying to justify it with the school yard tactic of  'he said that first'.

Would much rather see both clubs and both sets of fans respect each other - and for the English players to turn out as a unit during the Euros. I was for was quite excited watching Vardy and Kane play together.

It's purely because of the under performance of the power house clubs.

Reverse the free / unexpected points Spurs and Leicester got against amazingly poor 'top teams' and the table looks a lot more like people would expect - and it's impossible to predict the change in the clubs' momentum and expectations had that happened.

Also no one took the Leicester title charge that seriously until March / April.. The Spurs Leicester (0-1 Huth) game in January was certainly not billed as a 'match for the title', when normally you can find the likes of Man City vs Chelsea in November being dubbed as a title decider.

I really don't understand the Spurs hate though. Baffles me - I just see both sets of supporters bringing shame to their fan bases, trying to justify it with the school yard tactic of  'he said that first'.

Would much rather see both clubs and both sets of fans respect each other - and for the English players to turn out as a unit during the Euros. I was for was quite excited watching Vardy and Kane play together.

Mmmm. Very strange. Would even hazard a guess that you're not really a Leicester fan  :ph34r:

Edit. I see you're a Spurs fan. That would explain it

Hard to pick anything, since everyone from the bottom up deserves a mention. But if I were to pick top three things: 1. Walsh, 2. Teamsprit, 3. CR keeping the team focused. But really, from the trainers getting the most out of other teams' rejects to the damn pitch - everyone deserves a mention.

2. CR played it cool as a cucumber all season. His approach was perfect and he got the media and crowd on side from day 1. He took the heat and expectation off the players brilliantly

3. We've got no billy big bollux prima donnas upsetting the team spirit. Pretty much every player had a point to prove and shove it in the faces of those who'd written them off. I think this gave them the extra 10% motivation

4. All the players get along on and off the pitch - "like brothers" as Wes said. It was clear they all put the team before themselves and it wasn't about personal accolades.

5. The clappers :thumbup: and our incredible atmosphere. Unrivaled in the PL and our crowd was the 12th man when needed

6. We were fortunate with injuries, but our sports science team is the best in the business

7. We had bit of luck. But you make your own luck and we've had years of shit luck so we were due some

8. The top 4 weren't as good as usual - so that helped

9. Kante. Let's be honest, he's far too good for us  lol

10. All the stars aligned. It was just our time. 

Miracles do happen..

This and a good many other reasons it took a lot of pundits a long time to recognise and acknowledge. 

Mmmm. Very strange. Would even hazard a guess that you're not really a Leicester fan  :ph34r:

Edit. I see you're a Spurs fan. That would explain it

First and foremost I'm an England fan. Italia 90 got me into football (when I was 5).

1791776-37832811-2560-1440.jpg?w=1050

So much Kane hate on this forum :( He even went out on loan to you!

Our players are way better than anyone gives them credit for - people that say 'they have played above themselves' are deluded, that isn't possible - you can't be accidentally better than you actually have the potential to be.

Agreed, but how do you explain the huge step up from last year's performance level.

Agreed, but how do you explain the huge step up from last year's performance level.

Although I'm Spurs and live in Kent, I have a friend down here that's a Leicester fan. We watched and discussed both our teams throughout last and this season - and honestly have a neutral view - there's no hate in me.

Last season Leicester proved to me they were no mugs with a good start to the season, and a cracking 5-3 win over Man Utd.

After that game - the poor form started. It's the polar opposite of this season with the same principle of having a winning or losing mentality. It was as though beating Man Utd was going to be the biggest achievement made in this return to the Premiership, with relegation always on the cards.

We used to discuss how Pearson was just a thug that was suited to the lower league. After the 'great escape' although it wasn't popular opinion, I thought he should have won manager of the season. My Leicester pal wanted him sacked from the moment he pinned that guy down on the touchline that didn't sign for Leicester (I wonder how he feels now! Poignant that I don't even remember his name).

Pearson left, but the hot form was still burning. The last 10 games of the season (over 1/4 of the season!) was league winning form from the foxes. I don't see the 2 seasons as completely separate things. You had a honeymoon period immediately after promotion - allowed poor form and a losing mentality to put you in an awful position - but then the team started to believe they are good enough for the Premier League, and who can stop you now?

Is it just me that doesn't buy the whole "lucky with injuries argument"?

Yes players could get injured in a match due to bad tackles or a random roll of an ankle or whatever, but I don't believe that's all "luck" like everyone says it is.

It is our sports science, having all these player specific routines, cryotherapy chambers, beetroot shots, rest and recovery procedures, days off... The list goes on and on, I'm sure we don't know half of it. The way we embrace sports science at our club I'm convinced is 90% of the battle. I bet some clubs have the same type of things we do, but they don't use them and make the most of them like we do.

Whenever the "luck" argument is brought up, I always think of Arsenal- all the money, facilities, know-how, ability to attract the best physios/sports scientists etc and yet still they have so, so many injuries. It doesn't take a genius to work out its their (Wenger's) training methods/lack of embracing sports science/lack of rest days as opposed to bad luck. I get that with fixture congestion it is difficult to fit rest days in when you have to prepare squads for 3 games in 7 days or whatever, but it just can't be this big "luck" factor everyone on the outside of our club seems to put it down to.

Thing is we really were not poor last year we never deserved to be bottom for so long, we didn't lose by more than 2 goals all season even this year we have done that 

Archived