Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

How did we win the league?

I'm still trying to get my head around it. Our team is made up of free transfers, bargain signings and couple of journeymen, and collectively they've become a ruthless efficient winning machine. Is it coaching?

Our club in terms of size is on par with Southampton and West Brom. Our general ambitions prior to this season was similar to theirs. To exceed expectations would have meant challenging for top 6 or top 4 like West Ham, not winning the bloody league.

I'm overwhelmed. I can't comprehend what we've just done.

We won by winning more games,losing the fewest hard work self belief togetherness a manager with something to prove players who bought into the philosophy and the big clubs on auto pilot

I'm still trying to get my head around it. Our team is made up of free transfers, bargain signings and couple of journeymen, and collectively they've become a ruthless efficient winning machine. Is it coaching?

Our club in terms of size is on par with Southampton and West Brom. Our general ambitions prior to this season was similar to theirs. To exceed expectations would have meant challenging for top 6 or top 4 like West Ham, not winning the bloody league.

10 reasons I think we won the league:

1. The nucleus of the team won the championship and survived the great escape. They'd been through pressure at both ends of the scale so were well experienced to deal with it this time around

2. CR played it cool as a cucumber all season. His approach was perfect and he got the media and crowd on side from day 1. He took the heat and expectation off the players brilliantly

3. We've got no billy big bollux prima donnas upsetting the team spirit. Pretty much every player had a point to prove and shove it in the faces of those who'd written them off. I think this gave them the extra 10% motivation

4. All the players get along on and off the pitch - "like brothers" as Wes said. It was clear they all put the team before themselves and it wasn't about personal accolades.

5. The clappers :thumbup: and our incredible atmosphere. Unrivaled in the PL and our crowd was the 12th man when needed

6. We were fortunate with injuries, but our sports science team is the best in the business

7. We had bit of luck. But you make your own luck and we've had years of shit luck so we were due some

8. The top 4 weren't as good as usual - so that helped

9. Kante. Let's be honest, he's far too good for us  lol

10. All the stars aligned. It was just our time. 

Miracles do happen..

1. The nucleus of the team won the championship and survived the great escape. They'd been through pressure at both ends of the scale so were well experienced to deal with it this time around

2. CR played it cool as a cucumber all season. His approach was perfect and he got the media and crowd on side from day 1. He took the heat and expectation off the players brilliantly

3. We've got no billy big bollux prima donnas upsetting the team spirit. Pretty much every player had a point to prove and shove it in the faces of those who'd written them off. I think this gave them the extra 10% motivation

4. All the players get along on and off the pitch - "like brothers" as Wes said. It was clear they all put the team before themselves and it wasn't about personal accolades.

5. The clappers :thumbup: and our incredible atmosphere. Unrivaled in the PL and our crowd was the 12th man when needed

6. We were fortunate with injuries, but our sports science team is the best in the business

7. We had bit of luck. But you make your own luck and we've had years of shit luck so we were due some

Miracles do happen..

Pretty much nailed it ^

Miracles do happen..

All of those points are 100% true. Bigger clubs than us (Everton, Villa, Spurs) have tried for years to break into the top 4, and here we come along and casually win the league without even aiming for it at the beginning.

It's truly mind blowing what we've done.

Add to Izzy Muzzet's excellent post that this team just didn't give up.

Villa at home

Southampton away

Stoke away

Norwich at home

West Ham at home

There was no strolling about, hands on hips, remonstrating with colleagues etc. when the chips were down.

We were the anti-Villa.

All of those points are 100% true. Bigger clubs than us (Everton, Villa, Spurs) have tried for years to break into the top 4, and here we come along and casually win the league without even aiming for it at the beginning.

It's truly mind blowing what we've done.

It's completely mind blowing mate. It goes against all rational explanation. 5000/1 and probably the worlds biggest sporting upset - ever. None of us will ever see anything like this again in our lifetime I'm sure. We captured the imagination of the world and re-wrote the history books. In a way, I don't really mind what happens next and can't see myself getting wound up about football much now. After following City for 35 years I'm now happy and content and at peace with everything. We've reached the pinnacle of Mount Everest and etched our name in history. Any success from now on is just a bonus... 

spirit, determination, teamwork, hunger, desire, belief.

just a few things!

Never getting carried away. Claudio keeping his own feet and the team's feet on the ground. 'one game at a time'. 

spirit, determination, teamwork, hunger, desire, belief.

just a few things!

Never getting carried away. Claudio keeping his own feet and the team's feet on the ground. 'one game at a time'. 

I know we should give NP loads of credit etc, but when you really think about it, appointing Claudio was a masterstroke. We should also remember that he personally has had 30 years of hurt and many near misses, so maybe it was also his time and meant to be for him? He obviously saw something in the squad straight way and realised he could work his magic with us. I can't fault him for anything this season. He's been absolutely incredible for us.

Ranieri, tactically very astute - we started off very excitingly as we scored loads and let loads in but he saw it wasn't sustainable (particularly after the Arsenal game) and tightened us up - the fullbacks stay narrow to avoid exposing Huth and Morgan's lack of pace. We're very compact vertically and deny teams space to play in whilst opening it up ahead of us so Vardy and Mahrez could thrive on the counter.

Togetherness, solidarity, skill, blistering pace, the bigger teams not producing, winersh, taplow, yately.

5. The clappers :thumbup: and our incredible atmosphere. Unrivaled in the PL and our crowd was the 12th man when needed

9. Kante. Let's be honest, he's far too good for us lol

Miracles do happen..

This is the correct answer and I'd personally like to highlight number 9. We wouldn't have done it without him and he is a truly world class footballer in every sense of the word. If we keep Kante I wouldn't write us off doing an Atletico in the Champions League next season. I'm excited to see who Steve Walsh has discovered this time around.

Self believe. What ever they may have said in public. They have believed it was possible for a while.

Sheer hard work, team ethic and a manager who allowed and believed in letting players do their jobs.

And that's not a dig at nige but a lot of people wanted Schlupp and rdl playing last year because Simpson offered nothing going forward.

Well guess what defenders are meant to defend. Because claudio has let them. Kasper looks better. And although our forward players work their Tits off. They know they can try to beat a player as those behind them have their backs.

Archived